Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
donuts?
8,945 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Creakyknees said:
because we have recycled Brit tv?
it's not even "recycled" it's a straight up copy - notice the line "the car is trying to kill me" reduce it to a formula and then crank up the machine's output = ratings. ugh.

what next, the IT Crowd. oh, wait...

·
Banned
7,071 Posts
I'll give it a shot.

Could be fun. 'sides, how many times can you watch Jeremy Clarkson get beaten by a jogger in London traffic before you wanna see how it would work in, say, Boston?

·
donuts?
8,945 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
mohair_chair said:
So it would be great, if only they talked with British accents?
that's not why the show works - it's the culture of the Brits that makes that show.

·
Banned
7,071 Posts
asciibaron said:
that's not why the show works - it's the culture of the Brits that makes that show.
No, it works because the 3 hosts are all very funny, very passionate and have an awesome rapport, they're extremely well written, they've got amazing resources and they only shoot, what, 10 shows a year? AND, they test a butt-load of cars that aren't even available in the US- thus, even a ford fiesta seems exotic.

The one thing that the original show has that a US version won't be able to match is proximity to Europe and seriously high-speed highways. Well, that and Jeremy Clarkson, who is a force of nature.

Then again, while we don't have the Nurburgring, Laguna Seca is pretty awesome.

If they were smart, they'd make the US version stick to the original 10 show a year schedule. It gives you time to source better stuff, to write better material and to stay fresh and keep the audience hungry.

·
Registered
1,059 Posts
It works because of the chemistry between Jeremy, James and Richard. It's something that's developed and the concept ofTtopgear has evolved over a decade. Just copying the format and plunking in 3 new presenters is likely to fail.
And seriously, is there a market for a US Topgear?

·
donuts?
8,945 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
buck-50 said:
No, it works because...
you are telling me the caravan segment or the hi viz crossing segment are funny not because of the English sensibility but because of the 3 chaps and the writers. got it.

·
Banned
7,071 Posts
asciibaron said:
you are telling me the caravan segment or the hi viz crossing segment are funny not because of the English sensibility but because of the 3 chaps and the writers. got it.
THe caravan segment would have been just as awesome had it been set in Iowa. Seriously.

It's really really well written stuff. There wasn't much that was inherently English about that, aside from the fact that the English really seem to love camper trailers.

Don't get me wrong, I love the original top gear. I'm just willing to see if the new one will get the formula right and maybe even introduce something new. (I don't have high hopes).

·
Administrator
12,954 Posts
buck-50 said:
No, it works because the 3 hosts are all very funny, very passionate and have an awesome rapport, they're extremely well written, they've got amazing resources and they only shoot, what, 10 shows a year? AND, they test a butt-load of cars that aren't even available in the US- thus, even a ford fiesta seems exotic.

The one thing that the original show has that a US version won't be able to match is proximity to Europe and seriously high-speed highways. Well, that and Jeremy Clarkson, who is a force of nature.

Then again, while we don't have the Nurburgring, Laguna Seca is pretty awesome.

If they were smart, they'd make the US version stick to the original 10 show a year schedule. It gives you time to source better stuff, to write better material and to stay fresh and keep the audience hungry.
Exactly, the "culture of the Brits" has NOTHING to do with it.

·
You Phillip mah census
4,665 Posts
It 'll probably go the way of the Yank version of Fawlty Towers, the aptly named 'Payne'.

·
( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
8,107 Posts
Call me an unsophisticated boob, but the British version of The Office kinda sucks compared to the American version.

·
Boobies!
8,163 Posts
buck-50 said:
It's really really well written stuff. There wasn't much that was inherently English about that....
Except when the Britcoms are good they seem to be better than anything the American writers can come up with...

Look at The Office--unwatchable (in a good way--made you squirm in your seat) in the Briit version; unwatchable (in a bad way) in the US version--broad humor and so d*mned cheery...

A few American shows with good writing come to mind (current fave Friday Night Lights)--but not many.

·
Banned
7,071 Posts
paredown said:
Except when the Britcoms are good they seem to be better than anything the American writers can come up with...

Look at The Office--unwatchable (in a good way--made you squirm in your seat) in the Briit version; unwatchable (in a bad way) in the US version--broad humor and so d*mned cheery...

A few American shows with good writing come to mind (current fave Friday Night Lights)--but not many.
I'm becoming convinced the secret is the short seasons and the willingness of the BBC to let shows go away.

Think about it- if you've only got to write 6-12 episodes a year, you're going to have a lot better chance of packing them with all your best material. And if your network is willing to let you kill the show when you get tired of it, no jumping the shark.

·
No hero that's understood
6,100 Posts
Richard, Jeremy and James make the show. Anything else will only be a copy that falls somewhat short.

If the trailer was representative of the best they've got, I don't have high hopes.

·
Registered
204 Posts
buck-50 said:
they've got amazing resources
If only that were true! As someone who happens to work for a certain TV and radio production company on this side of the pond, I would love to have the budgets available to US productions, but because of the "unique way in which the BBC is funded", it's not possible.

I won't deny that Top Gear gets a larger proportion of the budget because of it's success, but one can only wonder what Doctor Who would be like if it had 1/4 of the budget that a season of even Buffy had.

However, everyone who works there is aware that there isn't a bottomless pit of cash available and does some pretty amazing things with what it available.

I'd be interested to see how this version of the programme works out. It looks (from the trailer at least) that the chemistry is good between the presenters which is more that what half the show is about. Anyway, if the Russians and Aussies can do it, you guys have got to be able to have a good shot at doing a better job :p

And Old_Fuji - you're an unsophisticated boob!

1 - 20 of 30 Posts