Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Alien Musician
4,537 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I get up an hour early because I was going to the dentist at 0730 for a cleaning.

I get ready, head to the car not particularly happy but at least moving.

I use the keyfob for my car to unlock the drivers side door and all hell breaks loose: at 7:30 in the morning my car's horn starts going BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP as if I'd pressed the alarm button.

But I pressed unlock! BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP (wtf? why isn't it stopping) I'm pressing
buttons on the fob to no avail. Either the electrical system went haywire or the fob's battery died.

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP. (WTF! the neighbors are waking up now and starting to look annoyed peering thru the curtains of their windows). I put the key in the ignition and the car, blessedly, stops beeping.

Ah....

I turn the ignition key. The car won't turn over but starts BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEPing
itself to oblivion again. None of the darn buttons on the fob are responsive at all.

I had to remove the key, put it back in again to get it to stop.

After several more episodes of beeping and cursing (by me who was livid by now) I called AAA and eventually a tow truck showed up.

I cancelled my dental appointment (since it was already time for the appointment and my car was a beeping mess) and started searching around the house for button batteries.

Lo and behold I had some CR2032 batteries for my bike computers on hand so I took them and replaced the batteries in both my fob and the spare and when the guy showed up he pressed a mysterious egyptian sequence on the fob which caused the car to stop spazzing and it would start again.

He'd said that if the battery in my fob was going down it's possible when I sent the last "unlock" command it only got a partial transmission of the unlock code and when it saw several attempts it thought I was a "hackers key fob" (of which apparently exist) and shut itself down.

By pressing an arcane sequence of buttons on the fob it "cleared the security bit" and let the car be opened without beeping like mad and let the engine start again.

I said are there really special fobs that crims use to repeatedly try codes until they get into cars and he claimed there were and that if too many codes were beamed at the receiver it would get into this "lockdown" mode like I experienced.

This is a 10 year old Saturn not some new modern car! Makes me wonder what on earth the new cars have?

Anyway, I had a splitting headache and drove off to work and the day was sufficiently busy to be annoying but can't wait for this day to end.

Grumble. Cars. Hate 'em.

·
still shedding season
8,849 Posts
aliensporebomb said:
Makes me wonder what on earth the new cars have?
New cars have push-button ignition switches. As long as the key fob is with you, it'll start. At least until the battery in the fob dies, then you have no car. Happened to a friend...

·
Frog Whisperer
40,886 Posts
I got a key....no fob....key-holes in both doors.....and a place for the key on the steering column....no alarm, no remote, no power windows.....not even sure if the horn works...I should check.

·
Registered
34 Posts
kykr13 said:
New cars have push-button ignition switches. As long as the key fob is with you, it'll start. At least until the battery in the fob dies, then you have no car. Happened to a friend...
My sister's Altima was push button like that, but she had a spot where she could still insert the key and turn it the hit the push button to start it if it died. I think it was hidden somewhere like the console or something though.

·
Master debator.
8,761 Posts
Wow you have AAA. They are still in business?

·
Registered
446 Posts
my saab FOB batteries dies a few weeks ago.. put in some new batteries and lo and behold, still didnt work... ended up swapping with my wifes key as i drive teh thing 99% of the time... ended up going back last week and put the key in the ignition, and it re-set the key and now it works fine... not sure how that happens, but prtty crazy... i know its a pain if you lose them... glad everything is fine now though....

·
Registered
296 Posts
I know i might get hated for this but when i was reading your rant about your car beep beep beeping at you i was sitting here laughing lol. Only cuz ive been there before with my car and its just nice to finally hear that someone else shared my horror lol

·
Zaphod Beeblebrox
2,799 Posts
My next car is going to be a 1980's Volvo 240.

My car did this to me a few weeks ago. Turns out that if you lock the car with the key fob you need to unlock it with the key fob. I tried to unlock it with the actual key, stupid me. I gave up on locking it. If the effers want something they can have it.

·
Alien Musician
4,537 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I really wish the mania for car alarms would go away - this is a 10 year old car, nobody wants to steal the damn thing and the manufacturer doesn't even exist anymore.

You couldn't even buy a car without one at that time.

Anyway, yeah, now that the battery is 100% in that fob the car locks and unlocks when asked but do you really think a car alarm ever deterred a thief? Doubtful.

·
Seat's not level
19,371 Posts
aliensporebomb said:
I really wish the mania for car alarms would go away - this is a 10 year old car, nobody wants to steal the damn thing and the manufacturer doesn't even exist anymore.

You couldn't even buy a car without one at that time.

Anyway, yeah, now that the battery is 100% in that fob the car locks and unlocks when asked but do you really think a car alarm ever deterred a thief? Doubtful.
Mark your calendar an make sure you sell the car before the next fob battery dies...8-9 years out. :thumbsup:

1 - 12 of 12 Posts