Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 20 of 73 Posts

·
Larry Lackapants
698 Posts
Shifting has a more agricultural feel -> more noise slower shifting.
That said, for me, Tiagra is fine. DA costs more than my complete bike.

·
Registered
11,555 Posts
Difficult to answer.

Why is Dura Ace better than Tiagra ?
That's like asking why, in a nation of almost universal speed limits, is a Porsche 911 better than a Hyundai Accent? Well, it feels better, I guess. But than again, what's the meaning of 'better?' If I don't care about upkeep, have no money for exorbitant insurance premiums and have to park my car in a bad neighborhood, the Hyundai is clearly the 'better' car for me.

·
Banned forever.....or not
24,573 Posts
Tiagra is made from melted down used condoms, while Dura Ace is made from melted down baby seals.

·
Squirrel Hunter
3,854 Posts
Test Ride

bianchi77 said:
Why is Dura Ace better than Tiagra ?
Well what did you think the difference was when you test rode the two and compared them to the SRAM and Campagnolo you test rode?

If you are simply evaluating them from a desk chair in front of a computer then they all ride the same. Kind of like asking if screwing the prom queen is better than getting it on with the class valedictorian - if you aren't getting laid by either one it does not really matter.

·
Fat'r + Slow'r than TMB
10,086 Posts
I was scared, I thought this was another Campy, Shimano, SRAM better thread. Ummm, I like Dura Ace, all the cool kids have it. No really I have Dura Ace on my bike and Ultegra on my wife's and I can tell the difference in the shifting. DA is easier to me and yes my wife lets me know about the difference all the time. Note to self, remember to upgrade wife's bike first to keep her happy.

·
Banned forever.....or not
24,573 Posts
+11.....

·
Old, slow, and fat.
3,897 Posts
jupiterrn said:
I was scared, I thought this was another Campy, Shimano, SRAM better thread. Ummm, I like Dura Ace, all the cool kids have it. No really I have Dura Ace on my bike and Ultegra on my wife's and I can tell the difference in the shifting. DA is easier to me and yes my wife lets me know about the difference all the time. Note to self, remember to upgrade wife's bike first to keep her happy.
Mine's gone to S10 before I have... Curious mechanic's mix of new 105, and S9 Dura Ace

M

·
Registered
15 Posts
I just upgraded my bike, from one with Tiagra to one with Ultegra. The Tiagra front derailleur is frustrating -- slow to shift up to larger chain rings (several rotations and lots of grinding, particularly under load) and worse, frequent dropped chains when shifting down to the smallest ring. The Tiagra rear derailleur has not troubled me. I have limited experience with Ultegra, but, as with DA, it's surely going to be more precise, and lighter, and more durable, etc.

·
Banned
7,191 Posts
I'd be willing to bet that to the average rider, there's a noticeable difference between Tiagra and Ultegra.

I'd also be willing to bet that between Ultegra and Dura ace, there is not a noticeable difference to the average rider.

As PeanutButterBreath said, if you have to ask, go with Tiagra.

·
your text here
13,203 Posts
its really all about weight. the "noisy front mech" is just setup.

they are the same until you start to get picky. then little things start to get to you. like the throw for a shift. or the left tiagra lever has some play in it.

i have tiagra on one bike, 105 on another, and ultegra on another. once setup properly, the only difference is feel, and its marginal at best. and i only know that because i have three setups i swap between.

·
Registered
1,326 Posts
Just keep in mind the Tiagra disclaimer:
"In rare cases of erections lasting more than four hours, see your
doctor immediately"

·
Registered
1,267 Posts
Keeping up with Junior said:
Well what did you think the difference was when you test rode the two and compared them to the SRAM and Campagnolo you test rode?

If you are simply evaluating them from a desk chair in front of a computer then they all ride the same. Kind of like asking if screwing the prom queen is better than getting it on with the class valedictorian - if you aren't getting laid by either one it does not really matter.
Well, in my case the Valedictorian was guy, so it does matter. That would be more likes comparing DA to XTR. The not all the parts will fit. Well, they will fit but not where they were originally intend to go and you will be very uncomfortable. :eek:

·
Carbon Fiber = Explode!
3,955 Posts
It's called Dura Ace. If you wanna be an Ace, with a lot of Dura then you better buy it.

I'm a Dura Ace, you can stick to being a Tiagra if you want. Stupid weak tiger hybrid.

1 - 20 of 73 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.