Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
:idea: why doesnt everyone just wait till 1 minute left to bid and keep the prices down? :thumbsup:

·
Captain Obvious
11,876 Posts
because they are using software to enter bids in the final minute.

·
still shedding season
8,849 Posts
I gave up on the idea that ebay was a good place to buy stuff a long time ago. It's just silly what people will spend on used crap. Silly, but again, awesome.

·
Captain Obvious
11,876 Posts
russelr said:
oh i agree with you on that note. but from a buyers view not so much
i don't think it really makes a difference besides the prices staying low until the end. what you are willing to spend doesn't make a difference.

·
Banned
19,737 Posts
ebay needs to change the way auctions are run. No more absolute time limit. The initial auction should be run for a set amount of time, and then extended for an extra amount of time after the last bid. That way, there is no mad rush at the end to get your bid in. Everyone gets to bid until what they are willing to pay has been exceeded, just like in a live auction. I think the last minute bidding actually hurts the final sale price in a lot of instances, as someone who would be willing to bid more than the sale price may not get their bid in in time.

·
Registered
2,649 Posts
NUTT said:
Because I make more money when I shill bid up my own auctions.
+1

I have to really want something before I'll go to eBay, and then,, I decide on a final price WAY ahead of time. Auction fever is a real phenomena, never get attached to something before you own it.

·
Spicy Dumpling
9,721 Posts
I've done pretty good lately. But I'm very picky and usually go there after I've decided on exactly what I want and my max price. I'll just put in my max bid and let it go from there. And I'll go ahead and put in my bid instead of waiting till the last minute. That way I don't have to watch it for a long time. If others are doing the same thing it will jump up to someones max bid immediately. If it's more than I want to pay then I'm out. It's the system and that's the way it works, if it bites you then it's your own fault.

·
Captain Obvious
11,876 Posts
Creakyknees said:
are Trek's good bikes?
trek>cannondale>wal-mart brands

hth.

·
n00bsauce
13,507 Posts
Because they're noobs. Any auction, online or in a back yard, depends on noobs to drive the price up.

·
Captain Obvious
11,876 Posts
VaughnA said:
I've done pretty good lately. But I'm very picky and usually go there after I've decided on exactly what I want and my max price. I'll just put in my max bid and let it go from there. And I'll go ahead and put in my bid instead of waiting till the last minute. That way I don't have to watch it for a long time. If others are doing the same thing it will jump up to someones max bid immediately. If it's more than I want to pay then I'm out. It's the system and that's the way it works, if it bites you then it's your own fault.
i just don't think people like putting in their max bids. afraid they may pay their max bid rather than "get a deal".

·
Banned
Bianchi Nuovo Alloro, Lemond Etape
2,299 Posts
set it and forget it

i am collecting vinyl.
often, something that fits in my very specific collection gets posted, and the auction will close with only a few bids, or with me as the only bidder.

i was playin it the regular way - skulking until the very end - but i ended up missing out on lps that fit my collection, where the winning bid was low, and i missed because i was busy, etc.

so, when i see something i want, i search around (GEMM, discogs, etc.) and figure out how easily i could get another, and how much.

then i put my max bid in.
set it and forget it.

on some of these, there are probably others doing the same thing -
we each throw in our ante, and the price right away runs from opening bid of $4 or whatever, up to $15, then we know we have a game.

if it quickly hits a point where i am out, i fold - but i have figured that out in day 1, not day 5.

otherwise, i put my max bid, and sometimes win at the opening level, or at a decent level.

that may be what is going on with some auctions - like me, maybe for things to complete a set, or fill out a collection, but not some super-rare item - throw in a couple bids right off the bat to shake the tree and see what falls out - if other bidders appear immediately, you know you really gotta pay attn, or fold.

·
n00bsauce
13,507 Posts
The idea, as a buyer, IS to "get a deal". Putting in your max bid right away insures that you and no one else will "get a deal". I don't understand this behavior. It's very easy to use a sniper program and not tip your hand and drive up the price of the auction unnecessarily. It's the same "set it and forget it" concept as putting in your max bid up front but at least retains some hope that you can get the item for less than your max bid. All that putting in your max bid up front does is insure the seller will get a good price.

I win fewer auctions than I did before but I rarely pay the max I'm willing to go. I have patience, restraint and technology on my side and I use it to get what I want at a reasonable price. It can still be done on ebay but not as often as in the past.

·
Steaming piles of opinion
10,503 Posts
Andy69 said:
ebay needs to change the way auctions are run. No more absolute time limit. The initial auction should be run for a set amount of time, and then extended for an extra amount of time after the last bid. That way, there is no mad rush at the end to get your bid in. Everyone gets to bid until what they are willing to pay has been exceeded, just like in a live auction. I think the last minute bidding actually hurts the final sale price in a lot of instances, as someone who would be willing to bid more than the sale price may not get their bid in in time.
That would be interesting, at least as an option.

eg, "Auction ends with fair warning at 5:00pm, following 5 minutes of no bidding activity."

Allowing sniping forces people to think rationally ahead of time, and disallows a large measure of 'auction fever.' Only the rank noobs overbid on the leadup.

OTOH, snipe bidding sets a pretty reliable market price, for those interested in such thing.

·
Registered
4,452 Posts
russelr said:
:idea: why doesnt everyone just wait till 1 minute left to bid and keep the prices down? :thumbsup:
Sometimes a high price early on, if it's already near their limit, will scare bidders away, especially if there are other auction for the same product.

·
Captain Obvious
11,876 Posts
Jesse D Smith said:
Sometimes a high price early on, if it's already near their limit, will scare bidders away, especially if there are other auction for the same product.
that's how i managed to get a good deal on something. i was the only bid while the same item was currently bid lower but ending later. it went for more than the auction i won.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts