Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,429 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
That we are always told to wear helmets, and I quite frnakly feel weird without one, but in every picture with a pro team in training (I haven't seen postals), they are all helmet less.

Are helmets that much worse or less comfortable than their hat or cap. Certainly won't protect you.

Just seems weird to me, they have to race with them on, so why not train with them also and set a good example at the same time.

·
Banned
6,360 Posts
Mainly tradition, plus the heat factor

The pros used to come through here once a year, and one time some TV sports moron asked a bunch of them about helmets (that's not what made him a moron--it was his insistence that cycling wasn't as demanding as baseball). The No. 1 answer was that helmets are too hot. Several models now are vented so your head actually cools faster than if you were bareheaded, but you can't convince a lot of pros. They're as hidebound, vulnerable to suggestion and and superstitious as any other group of athletes.

·
hi, I'm Larry
2,254 Posts
Same reason many motorcycle riders don't

wear them. They aren't Cool. Yeah, a lot of whiney excuses not to wear one, but the real reason is they don't look cool. In fact, many look downright dorky. I wouldn't be surprised if some of the teams pull the helmets off when they see the photo crews show up. They wouldn't want that great head shot spoiled by some dorky looking helmet.

It could also be the photographers. In photography the face, facial expression, eyes and recognition of the athlete is very important for a good shot. A helmet kind of ruins the shot and makes the rider look less human.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.