Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

1 - 20 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
463 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
That in football/hockey etc it's OKAY to wear the same clothes as a pro, and even the same number, with that pro's NAME right accross the back, but cyclists are shunned by other cyclists for wearing pro kit ?

Also, why does anyone care either way what other people are wearing as long as they're just out on their bike having fun and being safe, even if they do look like a dork ?

Face it, we all look like dorks to the outside world. Disco shorts or not.

·
Registered
310 Posts
Interesting question...I guess the same would go for having a big a$$ "3" (or whatever NASCAR sticker) on your rear window.

Maybe it has something to do with the combination of pro gear + active participation in the sport vs. wearing a LeBron jersey while acting like you are in the middle of an important conversation on your cell in the middle of the mall, etc. Either way though, isn't the "wannabe factor" the same? How dorky would it be to roll into Starbucks with a flashy, tight Disco or CSC uni and order a latte? Possibly excuseable if you just finished a long ride, but that's beside the point.

Cycling is still a fringe sport in the US, sadly, and you would think it would follow that we wouldn't be so critical of what others who share a common hobby and enthusiasm are wearing. That said: I personally think those Wheeties, Bert and Ernie, or other corny jersey designs are worse than any team logo out there. Still though, I prefer to disempower the naysayers and keep a low profile by sticking to basic colors and conservative designs.

I'm interested to see where this thread leads.

·
Out of work goaltender
147 Posts
in hockey, when you wear a full team kit of a pro team (socks and jersey) you do look like a dork. it's only acceptable if your under 12 years old. now if it was your own team kit from an old team that you were on, then its cool.

·
Registered
4,452 Posts
bignose said:
That in football/hockey etc it's OKAY to wear the same clothes as a pro, and even the same number, with that pro's NAME right accross the back, but cyclists are shunned by other cyclists for wearing pro kit ?

Also, why does anyone care either way what other people are wearing as long as they're just out on their bike having fun and being safe, even if they do look like a dork ?

Face it, we all look like dorks to the outside world. Disco shorts or not.
A person wearing a Jerome Bettis jersey has no chance of being mistaken for the actual player. The public knows better. Like many other sports, becomming a pro takes years of sacrifice and freakish genetics. These guys paid their dues and earned the pro jersey. For some cyclists, it's a matter of respect to not just shell out $80 and ride around in the same jersey real pros have to earn. It starts to seem like the poseurs are taking advantage of the fact that the general public could very well mistake the poseur for a real pro.
I have to wonder how many people in here who belong to a cycling team or club would mind seeing a stranger riding in their team's or club's kit, knowing damn well the dude never rode with the club, never paid dues, and never contributed to the success of the team/club in any way. I wonder whether they'd mind seeing the poseur riding like an idiot in traffic, wearing their team kit.
It could be a matter of experience. I have no proof or data, but from what I've seen, most of the riders wearing pro kits have never belonged to a real team, their unattached. Once they join a team or club, they start developing respect for the pro sport and it's traditions.

·
Registered
6,387 Posts
Nah...

Jesse D Smith said:
A person wearing a Jerome Bettis jersey has no chance of being mistaken for the actual player. The public knows better. Like many other sports, becomming a pro takes years of sacrifice and freakish genetics. These guys paid their dues and earned the pro jersey. For some cyclists, it's a matter of respect to not just shell out $80 and ride around in the same jersey real pros have to earn. It starts to seem like the poseurs are taking advantage of the fact that the general public could very well mistake the poseur for a real pro.
I have to wonder how many people in here who belong to a cycling team or club would mind seeing a stranger riding in their team's or club's kit, knowing damn well the dude never rode with the club, never paid dues, and never contributed to the success of the team/club in any way. I wonder whether they'd mind seeing the poseur riding like an idiot in traffic, wearing their team kit.
It could be a matter of experience. I have no proof or data, but from what I've seen, most of the riders wearing pro kits have never belonged to a real team, their unattached. Once they join a team or club, they start developing respect for the pro sport and it's traditions.
I think it's all good. If someone wants to kick a Disco kit then it's all good, that doesn't mean I won't make fun of them of course, but hey, to each their own. And by making fun of them, it's more a good natured ribbing as opposed to being mean, just for clarification for anyone out there. If you like a team, and respect them, and want to wear their clothes while riding; why the heck not? I do know a lot of folks that ride and race bikes, and have for years, and they still bust out some pro kits once in awhile. Although, I have enough of my own team kits to not have to wear anything else when riding, so normally, I just throw on the team kit. Which some people look down upon as well, which is funny.

·
Fini les ecrase-"manets"!
9,416 Posts
texass4 said:
Maybe it has something to do with the combination of pro gear + active participation in the sport vs. wearing a LeBron jersey while acting like you are in the middle of an important conversation on your cell in the middle of the mall, etc. Either way though, isn't the "wannabe factor" the same?
And when you wear your LeBron jersey for a pickup game like everyone around here does, what's the difference then? How about a Jets jersey to play touch football in, like you see all the time?

I don't wear full Pro kit out of respect for those who wear it because they've earned their way onto the team. And I don't wear ANY kit from local teams because I could actually be mistaken for a team member, and I don't want that--again, respect for those who put in the work. And of course I'd NEVER wear any kind of team kit in any kind of race, unless I was actually on the team.

But I DO wear my CSC jersey (last year's) with plain shorts on a fairly regular basis. I'm a huge fan (my wife says I have a crush on Jens Voigt, but it's not that, really it's not), and I'm promoting the team, and I think it's a cool-looking jersey. Nobody's going to confuse me with a CSC rider, but if you see me out there in my jersey, and you object because you think I'm trying to pretend I'm a CSC rider, well, you can cram it with walnuts.

·
scruffy nerf herder
4,484 Posts
Man, who the hell cares?

Seriously.

If you like it and are a fanatic, or want to acknowledge your support, then cool... go on with your bad self. The same can be said for soccer jerseys, football, etc. If you want to support them, the team, etc...then wear the clothes. Hell, maybe if we wore the clothes more, there would be more sponsors willing to sponsor cycling... who knows.

The thing is, why would one care? Just because some fat dude on a rickety bike wants to wear a Disco costume, why is that wrong? You see people doing it for nascar, or whatever... personal preference, just because its not your preference doesnt make it wrong. I have to admit that sometimes it looks pretty ridiculous... but that goes for many facets of life... have you BEEN to a Wal Mart recently, its no different.

Is it my TASTE to wear a full Kelme, Navigators or Disco kit... no, but does it do me any good or make me any cooler to chastize them on a public board... no. So, why even bother? There seem to be more important things to worry about.

·
Registered
205 Posts
It's the legs, Mars.

If you want to show your fandom- a team waterbottle is ok. One you found at a race for free is way cooler.

4 flabby old men who form their own team, ride together, order their own kit and show up on centuries, charity rides, brevets, etc. are far cooler than a lone guy dressed up like haloween pretending to be Lance.

Say I'm out on a muddy cyclocross bike with 38mm knobbie tires that buzz like a Cessna trying to take off and we pass a guy on the road like he's roadkill. Explain why that guy should not give me his jersey right there and then? Oh yeah, I identify with my bike, not my laundry.

'meat

ps- mud doesn't slow you down, and 38mm tires at 80psi can roll pretty decent.

·
Administrator
12,940 Posts
Wear whatever jersey you want. People who obsess over other rider's jersey's are a little wierd IMHO. Want to support your favorite team or rider by wearing their kit? Go for it. Usually that stuff is pretty good quality kit, better then the average performance crapwear de jure.

That said all Primal Wear jerseys are abominations.

:D

·
Registered
1,222 Posts
The "Pros Earn their jersey" argument is so f'ng lame. You know what, if you and I do not buy their team stuff, they might not even be able to earn anything. Yeah, I am sure some cycling fans will rush to buy Saeco coffee machines (or Mapei tiles?), but team wear is an important source of revenue for the teams.

If you think others "cheat" by pretending to be a pro and looking cool to the general public, while in fact you are out there looking cool in your $400 castelli/assos outfit, you seriously have security issues. The truth is, THE PUBLIC DON'T CARE.

In my case, I get last years' pro kits for 1/3 of the cost of castelli/assos.

·
Registered
4,452 Posts
magnolialover said:
I think it's all good. If someone wants to kick a Disco kit then it's all good, that doesn't mean I won't make fun of them of course, but hey, to each their own. And by making fun of them, it's more a good natured ribbing as opposed to being mean, just for clarification for anyone out there. If you like a team, and respect them, and want to wear their clothes while riding; why the heck not? I do know a lot of folks that ride and race bikes, and have for years, and they still bust out some pro kits once in awhile. Although, I have enough of my own team kits to not have to wear anything else when riding, so normally, I just throw on the team kit. Which some people look down upon as well, which is funny.
I should clarify that my comments pertain to only some of the full-kit riders out there. And I only offered a possible answer to why some care. Everyone has their own standards. Everyone has their own favorite pro rider or pro team and there's nothing wrong with showing your support than wearing the jersey. Me, I prefer second tier team jerseys and small-nation national champion jerseys. I figure I have a better chance of fooling people. I really should learn to speak Finnish if I'm going to continue wearing the blue cross jersey though.

·
Windrider (Stubborn)
22,021 Posts
I agree.....

covenant said:
I've never encountered this type of behavior. Don't know what else to say....
way too much energy on this topic.....wear what the hell you want/or not....just ride.

Len

·
Yo no fui.
8,081 Posts
Why on Earth does any of this matter?

elviento said:
The "Pros Earn their jersey" argument is so f'ng lame. You know what, if you and I do not buy their team stuff, they might not even be able to earn anything. . . . but team wear is an important source of revenue for the teams. . . .If you think others "cheat" by pretending to be a pro and looking cool to the general public, while in fact you are out there looking cool in your $400 castelli/assos outfit, you seriously have security issues. The truth is, THE PUBLIC DON'T CARE. . . .
!Dale El Viento! You're right on the money. Pro team kits do generate money for the teams and the sport in general. Meanwhile, the public couldn't care less. Do you think even a casual cycling fan who sees a fit white guy rolling around Texas actually thinks that it was Lance, or even pauses long enough on his cell phone call to care? Come on.

This is really all about domestic roadie culture, which has more in common with the insecurities of 13-year middle school girls than is does with the sport itself. None of this pomp and appearance matters. Let's look at the worst case scenario: an old fat guy in a full Disco kit down to the socks and a Trek with Dura Ace. Lame, right? He's a poser, right? Well, it doesn't matter. His money is supporting our sport and he's giving props to his heros who he no doubt emulates. This is just as true if he's young and fit.

It is different if it's a local club, sure. There, the reputation and membership interests weigh in heavily. But, with the pros, I mean, come on. Don't go projecting your insecurities onto others who just want to give props to their heros.

·
Registered
2,674 Posts
From what I've seen in Italy and France compared to the UK, I have a theory.

In countries where cycling is a big sport, you see the occasional full pro team kit guy, but you see fare more riders in club gear. The only person I saw last October wearing full kit was a Quick Step pro in Bergamo a day or two before Lombardia.

On the roads round Como, we only saw plain kit riders or full teams in team strip.

Unless they were fan clubs!

·
Registered
342 Posts
In the cycling world as a whole, it's a myth that cyclists who wear pro jerseys are shunned.

The people who make fun of pro jerseys are typically beginner / intermediate riders who don't feel confident in their own abilities.

Better riders wear what they feel like.

In the racing scene, it's bad etiquette (and illegal) to wear a team jersey that you are not affiliated with during a race. During group rides, however, racers will often wear old team jerseys, things they bought in Europe, jerseys given to them from friends on other teams, etc. The only jerseys that are universally shunned, however, is probably primal wear and the wearing of National or State Champion jerseys that were not earned.

Of course, pros will usually wear their own kit because of contract stipulations. And they really could care less if people wear pro jerseys or not -- if anything, they are probably a little flattered.

·
Registered
1,074 Posts
Actually, there's little difference between sports in my mind. I play hockey, and if you showed up for a game wearing full NHL dress, or just an NHL team jersey (or even the ole' Soviet CCCP getup for that matter), then you'd look like a dork. Now if you're just wearing it around while not "playing the part", then it's less dorky I guess. Same with cycling, eh?

One difference though is that pro bike jerseys are advertising billboards, whereas football, baseball, basketball, and hockey are still largely devoid of corporate prostitution (thankfully). Maybe NASCAR getups are a better comparison, but I think any sports getup filled with advertisements looks kinda dumb outside of when participating in the actual sport.

So, when it comes to cycling getups I figure if you are going to shell big bucks for a kit, then for godsakes join a team and use their getup. They look just as good as a lot of pro jerseys, they cost as much or less, and plus they don't go out-of-date so easily. It doesn't matter how much you ride or what your results are. Support your local cycling community!

·
Racial Profiler
348 Posts
bignose said:
That in football/hockey etc it's OKAY to wear the same clothes as a pro, and even the same number, with that pro's NAME right accross the back, but cyclists are shunned by other cyclists for wearing pro kit ?.
How often do you throw on the matching jersey, pads, helmet, cleats and skivvies for a pick-up game?

I personally couldn't care less what you wear. As long as you wear something. And not shorts that have all the lycra worn off the ass either.

Nobody wants to see that.

1 - 20 of 49 Posts