Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

· Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I don't think Kohl was on anyone's radar to place high on GC this year, so he's something of a revelation. What I don't understand is why he doesn't hardly merit anything but a passing comment from anyone on VS. Even after he spent several days in 4th place, they would run down the GC standings, skip over him, and start talking about Menchov. Now that he is on the virtual podium, will they at least talk about his chances, his strengths/weaknesses, etc? They also spend time covering their pre-ordained "overall contenders" everyday, when many of them are minutes down and totally out of contention. I will give them credit for giving VdV some good coverage, and he is in the similar "revelation" category, but I think that is because he is American.

· Registered
460 Posts
VS is an American channel for American viewers, that is why they will always spend more time on everything American. I'm biased, but glad they do. Anything to make the sport more exciting and relevant to the US market post LA.
As for Kohl, he has been a suprise. I truly hope he's clean. What a damper that would be if a young upstart German were to be busted for something. Unfortunately, after Schumy's TT a cloud of suspicion has already formed around Gerolsteiner.

· Registered
650 Posts
kohl is austrian, and he has had some great results in the tour of germany winning on reputedly the hardest mountain top finish in the world a climb in austria the name of which escapes me now. He has been on the verge of a good/ great result in gc for a little while. Pro cycling is a big rap for jay z for a while

· Registered
2,177 Posts
As much as I love phil, and wanna like paul, they just aren't that good. The guys that call the spring classics on cycling tv seem to be way, way better.
Its poor coverage to not cover kohl.
I hope we're done with doping for this year.

· Registered
337 Posts
More Kohl dissing, from Armstrong himself.

Cyclingnews: It's been an incredibly tight race with plenty of excitement. What's stuck out for you?

LA: There's haven't been too many major shocks so far. I mean, you have Cadel Evans, and he's still as the favourite in my opinion. The guys from Team CSC have been doing what you'd expect and, of course, there's been [Denis] Menchov and Christian Vande Velde. To be honest I have been surprised by [Bernhard] Kohl though. I've simply never heard of that guy before the race. Who is he?

[Hint: Armstrong might have been focused on other riders instead of Kohl in this photo from the 2005 Dauphiné Libéré. -ed.]

· You call that running?
262 Posts
Ahwatukee Roadie said:
Even after he spent several days in 4th place, they would run down the GC standings, skip over him, and start talking about Menchov.
Menchov and Cadel will take three or four minutes out of him in the final TT. Kohl finished 1:47 back in the much shorter and much hillier stage 4 ITT. This is why Kohl doesn't get as much discussion as Menchov. Sastre also sucks at TTs but gets attention because he's a familiar face riding for a team that a lot North American viewers root for. With any first time high finisher in a grand tour you sort of expect him to tail off in the last week (or get caught doping). We'll see though.

· Registered
609 Posts
justinb said:
More Kohl dissing, from Armstrong himself.

Cyclingnews: It's been an incredibly tight race with plenty of excitement. What's stuck out for you?

LA: There's haven't been too many major shocks so far. I mean, you have Cadel Evans, and he's still as the favourite in my opinion. The guys from Team CSC have been doing what you'd expect and, of course, there's been [Denis] Menchov and Christian Vande Velde. To be honest I have been surprised by [Bernhard] Kohl though. I've simply never heard of that guy before the race. Who is he?

[Hint: Armstrong might have been focused on other riders instead of Kohl in this photo from the 2005 Dauphiné Libéré. -ed.]

Spawn of Hellboy. I hope he keeps the spotted jersey through Paris.

· Administrator
13,152 Posts
Iwannapodiumgirl said:
it's a cunning plan by the american dental association to promote better oral health care among the cycling communities in the united states...
I thought the same thing-- good lord, he looks like a giant rodent. They are called braces man, look into them. . .

:(

1 - 20 of 28 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.