Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 20 of 105 Posts

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Maybe because he's not a weight winnie and really proves that it's the rider & not the bike?
I'm well aware that Sagan could pull out wins on a 35 lb Huffy.

What I'm more wondering is how a modern top-of-the line frame, Dura-Ace build, and carbon everything, is a pound and a half over the UCI limit, when in years past, team mechanics had to ADD non-functional weights to meet the UCI limit.

·
Registered
9,658 Posts
I wouldn't be surprised if the frame is beefed up, considerably, compared to the one available to the public. But that wouldn't add a pound and a half.

·
Registered
2,542 Posts
I wouldn't be surprised if the frame is beefed up, considerably, compared to the one available to the public. But that wouldn't add a pound and a half.
If by beefed up you mean his custom paint job sure. That extra paint isn't free. Probably 300-400g right there.

Not to mention even the S-Works Tarmac isn't really a weight weenie frameset. It's heavier than other frames in it's class, SS EVO Hi-Mod, Scott Addict, Trek Emonda, etc.

·
Registered
2,238 Posts
also
- SRM crankset unit - 267 g

and
- what they didn't show was weighing it with a full bottle of water :D

·
Registered
1,551 Posts
...is a pound and a half over the UCI limit, when in years past, team mechanics had to ADD non-functional weights to meet the UCI limit.
The limit means bikes can't weight LESS than 6.8kg...Sagan's bike bike is above the minimum weight limit...ergo...all good.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
If by beefed up you mean his custom paint job sure. That extra paint isn't free. Probably 300-400g right there.
But wouldn't they have custom-painted a bare frame?

So a custom-painted Tarmac shouldn't weigh any more than a normal-painted Tarmac, right?

although I do see an ass-ton of glitter on there...

Bicycle tire Bicycle wheel rim Rim Synthetic rubber Logo

·
Registered
2,542 Posts
So a custom-painted Tarmac shouldn't weigh any more than a normal-painted Tarmac, right?
I think it would. For stock colors a lot of companies switched to using super light paint which took off a couple hundred grams IIRC. They may not have the paint in non-stock colors hence the added weight.

A custom painted frame also has a lot of decals, etc which are put over the paint. So they paint it black, add decals, etc. A few grams for each decal ads up when you have a bike that ugly.

·
Registered
2,767 Posts
I had no idea team members' names were in the background of the S-WORKS logo (this particular model). Nice touch.

·
Registered
5,699 Posts
I think it would. For stock colors a lot of companies switched to using super light paint which took off a couple hundred grams IIRC. They may not have the paint in non-stock colors hence the added weight.

A custom painted frame also has a lot of decals, etc which are put over the paint. So they paint it black, add decals, etc. A few grams for each decal ads up when you have a bike that ugly.
~ 1.5 lbs of paint and stickers? Seriously? I could paint it with a coat of latex house paint and wrap it in duct tape and it wouldn't add up to an extra 1.5 lbs.

·
Neophyte
2,190 Posts
Maybe power meter adds to it but also this weight appears to be with pedals, and most specs show weight without pedals....

Edit: Posted at same time as weltyed and he beat me to it, so basically what he said.

·
Registered
710 Posts

Not to mention even the S-Works Tarmac isn't really a weight weenie frameset. It's heavier than other frames in it's class, SS EVO Hi-Mod, Scott Addict, Trek Emonda, etc.
Tarmac with Sram red is 13.7 lbs without pedals.
Tarmac with DI2 is 14.1 lbs without pedals.

·
Registered
2,542 Posts
Tarmac with Sram red is 13.7 lbs without pedals.
Tarmac with DI2 is 14.1 lbs without pedals.
Those numbers are meaningless without sizes and exact component specs. Look up the weight for the frameset only and you will see what I mean.

1 - 20 of 105 Posts