Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

· NeoRetroGrouch
6,493 Posts
ajoc_prez said:
Heard a lot about this guy over the last couple years, even a couple people saying he was the next Lance Armstrong. So, he's 30 years old now.... whens he going to do the TdF?
Where's Trek? Where's TD? Must be July. - TF

· Registered
1,752 Posts
I think he got a splinter in his finger or the sniffles.

· haole from the mainland
5,966 Posts
Tommy D is sounding pretty bitter in today's cyclingnews story. I don't think Garmin is going to link to this story from their website!

http://www.cyclingnews.com/road/2008/tour08/?id=/riders/2008/interviews/tour08_tom_danielson

An excerpt:

"The team told me that they really wanted to see me get a strong result overall in the Route du Sud, and if I did, that I would go to the Tour," he said. "If I didn't, I wouldn't be there. I was pretty shocked by it, and I was definitely not 100 percent prepared to do that yet. My body really wasn't 100 percent recovered from my injuries."

Is he kidding? He was "shocked" that he actually had to earn a spot on the roster? And pray tell how is another week going to make a difference for an injury that has been around for months?

With all the talk from Vaughters et al. regarding team cohesiveness, Tommy is sounding like a big, fat whiner that doesn't fit. I think he was foolish for his little tirade considering his age and (lack of) recent palmares.

· Cannot bench own weight
4,298 Posts
His whiney-ness this time makes me really dislike him. Historically I've really only felt bad for the guy because he seemed to have some tough breaks. But come on dude, you don't think you gotta show you belong there?

The Cascade classic today is a good example...blown out the ****ing back. Yea, he would have done just great on Super Besse yesterday :rolleyes:

· Bea Arthur's Army of Evil
236 Posts
Forget Tom Danielson, there are several other riders on Garmin/Chipotle who could have been included on the TDF team ahead of him like Dan Martin (recent winner of Route du Sud and Irish Nationals), Christophe Laurent (More Euro racing experience), Chris Sutton (Aussie Sprinter, more suited to objective of stage wins), Patrick McCarty (stage race experience including the 08 Giro with the team), and Tom Peterson, (kicking butt in the Cascade Classic) Tyler Farrar (though questionable form following infection in May). Tom Danielson had his spot in question all year long and never gave a result this year that showed he deserved to be on the TDF team.

G

·
Well, IIRC, Lance's latest comment about this is that the racing in Europe is different and good test results don't necessarily produce good race results (paraphrashing).

TD has a big motor but, his skills in the peleton aren't advancing much and his recovery ability seems to balance on the tip of a pin.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.