Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

· Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just curious, and maybe there is a rule out there I don't know about (not being a racer) but why don't more people use Hed tri-spoke wheels? Or, for that matter, the Hed aero wheels? When I'm out riding I see the occassional 404s or other Zipps, but I don't think I've seen anyone on the Heds. What do you guys think of their stuff?

· Registered
8,116 Posts
JMac said:
Just curious, and maybe there is a rule out there I don't know about (not being a racer) but why don't more people use Hed tri-spoke wheels? Or, for that matter, the Hed aero wheels? When I'm out riding I see the occassional 404s or other Zipps, but I don't think I've seen anyone on the Heds. What do you guys think of their stuff?
Lots of tri-geeks use HED. You'll see them in time trials as well- but who wants a tri-spoke in a crit? I think Zipp probably outspends them in marketing.

Their Jet's are relatively heavy- carbon fairing over aluminum rims. Their Alps have structural carbon- but still have an AL braking surface. I had a pair (I came by very cheap) and found them very durable. I eventually sold them. Also, they have very deep rims- while Zipp offers 303s.

If I were spending real money, I would want all carbon tubulars. I haven't seen any of the new HEDs other than on their website.

All that aside, I think they are a very cool company, and I hope they make it. They are pretty much a family business located in a house in MN.

· Registered
197 Posts
I agree whole heartedly that there aren't enough HED wheels out there. I love my tri-spokes and think they are one of the best multipurpose wheels out on the market for crit racing and track racing but agree that they are heavy and not really very safe or practical for daily training or touring rides.

HED also been keeping active by making rims for the new Bontrager Aeolus carbon wheel rims. Seems like Lance, Postal/Discovery management, and Trek management thought enough of them to outsource to.

I think its just a matter of insufficient marketing that more road riders, racers, weekend warrior types dont buy more HED. If HED were more agressive getting into mail order catalogs, it would probably get them a lot more exposure. Not to mention between the Alps, Stingers, and Jet wheels, they have a lot of the same functional wheel at a very similar price point. But hey - we're talking about HED now. That should help sell at least another set of Jets right?

· Rollin' Stones
2,641 Posts
Hed.

I use their wheels too. I like them. I htink the others have a very valid point. Zipp is in the pro peleton and in magazines all the time. Hed? Well they do have Disco. But Tri is more their turf. I guess if they want the business/marketing barrage they have to go after it. Evidently, they are comfortable where they are.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.