Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

· Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I really dig the style of the Spinergy Rev-X wheels. Unfortunately, they no longer make them. Is there anything new that resembles that look out there for aroud $500 new for a set? I don't really like the discs and like the "spoked" look of the Synergy. Only Caveat is that I want clincher 700. If not would it be worth it to spend $500 on a used wheelset?

· Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Do you think there would be a problem with everyday (2-4 times per week) use? After all I thought those type of wheels were truer and stronger than spoked wheels, hence the higher price?

· Los Barriles, BCS, Mexico
1,459 Posts
jf7fsu said:
I really dig the style of the Spinergy Rev-X wheels. Unfortunately, they no longer make them. Is there anything new that resembles that look out there for aroud $500 new for a set? I don't really like the discs and like the "spoked" look of the Synergy. Only Caveat is that I want clincher 700. If not would it be worth it to spend $500 on a used wheelset?
While the Rev-X are very sexy looking wheels, they can be fragile. A rock chip on one of the spokes, for instance, can put one of those wheels out of commission permanently. I know 'cause I've had it happen to me. They simply are too easily damaged. They can (not common, but it's happened) catastrophically fail.

The Rev-X wheels have had a checkered past with crappy hubs/bearings and are not now highly thought of. Some of them were poorly made, Spinergy offers no support for them now. They were discontinued because of the potential liabilities for Spinergy.

Unless you know the history of a particular set and take them to a very good LBS for a thorough inspection, my (free) advice to you is to look at something else for wheels.

· Banned forever.....or not
24,573 Posts
They're off the market because of lawsuits.
With a wheel like that, you have to inspect them every few days to see if a crack is developing in the "spokes". People didn't do that, and more than a few ended up on their face. I've still got a pair that I use every once in a while. (I check them often)

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.