Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
why oh why do my lower knees hurt now? I've been on some pretty hard rides latley and now my lower knees have started to hurt. I am doing around6 hrs a week an my bike and running about 4 hrs . Think it may be poor bike fit? And what would cause it?

·
Moderatus Puisne
15,882 Posts
Could be -- by lower you mean in front?

The typical "fit" issue that could cause that is too much stress on the knees from too low a saddle height.

More typical is that, when you increase training loads more than you're accustomed to, that type of pain is common.

There's a whole host of potential knee pain for cyclists and runners, each with more specific acute causes. I have "bicycling medicine" by Baker; it's a good, easy-to-read guide that includes knee problems along with many others.

·
Registered
11,474 Posts
I haev "bicycling medicine" by Baker; it's a good, easy-to-read guide that includes knee problems along with many others.
Agree - excellent book. ISBN 0-684-84443-5. Arnie Baker's is an M.D. and a serious cyclist. He seems to be one of the few who understand that the marketing mantra of "more float = healthier knees" can be bad advice. Some knee problems are actually caused and/or made worse by excessive pedal float.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts