Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Banned
2,075 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It seems like it has some addictive qualities that are unique to other forms of exercise.

·
Registered
268 Posts
For me, I think its the rhythmic motion of the pedal stroke...occupies the mind. And the ability to get out and see things that you would normally pass by too quickly in a vehicle to appreciate.

·
Cycling Addict
5,170 Posts
Both endurance endorphins and adrenaline rushes can be addictive, and cycling can provide either or both.

I like the synergy between man and machine, the feeling of freedom when I am out in the countryside being propelled by my own efforts, the scenery I get to enjoy, the fitness resulting therefrom - and those chemical byproducts aren't to be sneezed at either...

·
Registered
239 Posts
I like cycling because ******** in pickup trucks with lift kits hate it.

Reactions: taodemon

·
Registered
470 Posts
I don't think I can put it into words as I am not totally sure why. But I am hooked. I ask myself every time I am on a climb (Why do I do this to myself?). I do enjoy descending. It is invigorating. I do enjoy...competing with myself. I am proud of my improvement. There is a satisfaction after .....working hard. With a wife and 4 kids, I've stopped playing softball, and rarely get together with friends for basketball. So this is my only consistent physical outlet and only competition even if it is only with myself.

·
Registered
921 Posts
I just function a lot better in all areas of life when I practice a sport.

About being addictive it can if you are single,if you're going trough a bad marriage or you're some sort of bipolar maniac.
I have many other interesting things to chase and take care of in life so cycling have to fit in there. I'm not paid to ride so my 150kms per week fits the bill.
And yes,my second marriage made me gain some weight,skip some bike rides and find a lot of happiness.

·
Registered
15,615 Posts
Fun way to burn calories. Gets my brain firing on all cylinders. There's a zen-like quality to the challenge, even when it's hectic- similar to playing video games.

·
Registered
1,074 Posts
I don't think cycling is any more addicting than getting immersed in many other sports. I've been equally addicted to rock climbing, X-C skiing, tennis, table tennis (yes, I'm very serious about my ping-pong!), golf, and on and on.

But, cycling has always been a favorite for me because of some of its unique qualities, such as:
1) Discovery and exploration - you go places, and can go very far, and you see beautiful things. This was the joy of the open road that I experienced as a kid, and I still get that enjoyment today.
2) Speed element - a smooth road with a tailwind, a fast descent, shoulder-to-shoulder in a peloton. It's a rush!
3) The beautiful machine - a bike is simple, yet so elegant. The feeling of high quality, well tuned bike is really satisfying.
4) Unique competitive experience - road racing in particular is very unique in the "game" in racing, where it is much more than just pure power and endurance. It requires a lot of mental toughness, decisions on how to respond, complex tactics.
5) Cheap and easy fun - Bikes are not that expensive. You can throw a leg over a bike and ride anywhere and anytime really.
6) Lifelong activity - It really does become more difficult to continue other sports in my advancing age. But, I see myself continuing to get enjoyment out of cycling well into my old age. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
2,238 Posts
not hooked and not addicted to cycling. Though I have an obsessive compulsion to acquire bikes and components, out of curiosity and too easily drawn in by shiny metal and plastic things

as for riding itself - I see it as a necessity, the least awful of all the evils known as 'working out' LOL. Feel there is a good chance I would die without it.

·
Registered
553 Posts
not hooked and not addicted to cycling. Though I have an obsessive compulsion to acquire bikes and components, out of curiosity and too easily drawn in by shiny metal and plastic things

as for riding itself - I see it as a necessity, the least awful of all the evils known as 'working out' LOL. Feel there is a good chance I would die without it.
I am right there with you on the top part.

The bottom part is the difficult piece. You never want to extend your nursing home years.

I want to hit a tree on my mountain bike and go peacefully right before we find out I am deathly ill....:D

·
Registered
269 Posts
I would definitely consider myself hooked on cycling. If I try to deny that, my wife would surely remind me of the truth quickly!

Outside of the obvious health benefits, I find that the camaraderie of group rides and the spirit of adventure I get on the bike are the two main qualities for me. The group rides (at least the ones I participate in) tend to satisfy my competitive nature. It's much better that I get this out on the bike than at work or home.

·
Registered
295 Posts
Not owning a motor vehicle ensures I keep cycling.

TBH, though, I could've bought a POS car with the money I spent on my most recent N+1 (backstory: laid off, new car repo'ed, yadda yadda...), but for all the reasons already mentioned, I decided an Altamira was much preferable to a Toyota. :thumbsup:

·
a real member's member
3,880 Posts
cheaper than golf.

and more dangerous.

·
Registered
2,238 Posts
Not owning a motor vehicle ensures I keep cycling.

TBH, though, I could've bought a POS car with the money I spent on my most recent N+1 (backstory: laid off, new car repo'ed, yadda yadda...), but for all the reasons already mentioned, I decided an Altamira was much preferable to a Toyota. :thumbsup:
commendable choices. good man!

·
Registered
2,238 Posts
I have witnessed true cycling addiction.

my dad is still cycling-mad, after 40 some years after his addiction started. He routinely still runs up 10,000km of riding a year or more. He is 72 ears old. He recently went on a 3 day cycling tour with his 38 year old very fast riding wife: the first day was to be a moderate 120km section, with backpacks on ... but they talked to some friends en route that day who suggested they tack on another 60km with a 5,000 mountain top climb to that day's ride. So they did! Addiction.

I think there is some 'jock gene' that triggers in the right person, maybe. I surely did not have that gene passed onto myself.

·
Registered
4,962 Posts
It's a sport to me. That's all. I participate in the sport I love... No fitness goals... Just performance goals. I don't do fitness stuff any more. I should add some in. Cycling isn't the best for fitness in general. But I love the history, the ceremony, the suffering, the strategy... I don't know about being addicted or anything, maybe I am... But it's the lure of the sport.

·
Registered
2 Posts
It's decent exercise that's often enjoyable and relatively easy to do. I'm in my 50's so mellow exercise is better than no exercise IMO. I'm not looking to win anything or get injured, which inevitably happens whenever I run no matter how careful I try to be.

I like the frame and materials tech and enjoy the quiet buzz of the drivetrain.

I'd rather ride 20 miles than run 5. I can go somewhere and get some sight-seeing done.

It has the occasional thrill. I don't go "wheee!!" much when swimming laps.

it's not so much addicting as it is something I want to keep up with during the season so I don't get too out of shape. I don't have a problem giving it up when winter comes.

·
Registered
3,695 Posts
I'm hooked on the serenity a ride provides me. Where I live a ride is access to parks and nature and quiet solitude. And when you are out on the bike with friends or just happen to meet people there are no hidden agendas, its just about the ride.

1 - 20 of 40 Posts