Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I like to ride some group ride over the weekend so I can improve in my riding but all the local rides in the weekend starts insanely early in the morning like 8am. I can't get myself to wake up that early on a weekend? Any suggestions? Why not something managable like 10am or 11am?

Thanks for listening

·
Bikespace member
4,445 Posts
Marcus75 said:
I like to ride some group ride over the weekend so I can improve in my riding but all the local rides in the weekend starts insanely early in the morning like 8am. I can't get myself to wake up that early on a weekend? Any suggestions? Why not something managable like 10am or 11am?

Thanks for listening
I hear ya. most of the weekend rides start early, like today's 8am ride. If they were even an hour later i would make it more often. but i still make an effort to go, like today. and most times when i force myself up around 7am, i don't regret it.

the big prob for me is i can't eat anything before i go when they start that early. and coffee that soon before i get on a bike can sometimes cause sour stomachs. but no coffee causes headaches.

maybe that's why many of my rides are solo since i can go on my own time. but group rides do push me a little more.

·
Get me to In&Out
4,775 Posts
I think they start that early for a couple reasons. First, weekends are usually the only day in the week when full time workers can get in long rides. If they start aroung 10 like you suggest, they wouldn't be back till late afternoon, and most people have familly responsibilities that don't go away just because they have to ride. Also if the people race, they need to get their bodies used to performing early in the day since most road races start at the crack of dawn, not taking into account the drive to get to the race which puts people in their cars at O'dark early.

The other reason for the early starts I think is to get people to show up. If you put it later int the day, stuff pops up that hampers someone from getting out the door. If your ride is the first thing on your agenda in the morning, those kind of things won't pop up and detract a larger group from showing up. The early starts also avoid the heat of the day once the spring and summer roll around. If people are used to the ride starting at 8:00 all year, they won't forget the start time due to season changes.

For the above poster who commented about the coffee, try diet coke. It would curb your bodies desire for caffine, and still not sour your stomach. If you are getting headaches from a lack of caffine in the morning, you might want to look at weening yourself from the joe a little. Caffine is a powerful stimulant that can become a dependency. Not that you will end up on the street sniffing junk behind a dumpster from a coffee habit, but it will effect your training.

·
Done
4,509 Posts
We ride at 7:30 am for a couple of reasons...

Marcus75 said:

Thanks for listening
(1) Traffic - it isn't as bad early Sunday morning.

(2) Time - you can get in 50 miles, have coffee with the guys, and still be home by 10:30 am

(3) It's Beautiful! - there's nothing better than seeing the sunrise on the Potomac. The critters are out, and it's just nice. Also, during the summer, the mornings are much cooler than the afternoons.

The Lardbutts are getting out this morning at 7 am to do a metric...

·
Every little counts...
3,924 Posts
Agree, Traffic, timing, long lrides

Getting a big ride (100 miles) still lets me eat, have a nap, and still have an afternoon on my weekend. True, you have to get up early and eat, eat, eat.

Our rides usually start at 10:00 in the spring, but move earlier in the summer to beat the heat.

·
Premium Member
21,910 Posts
The answer is to start leading rides yourself.

Miss M and I rarely do rides that start as late as 8am. You want to ride with us you are getting up early. Our local club with a couple of thousand members normally has rides that start as late as 1pm. All it takes is someone to organize a ride at whatever time they like.

Leading rides isn't all that hard, try it and you may end up being a local hero.

·
Eddy 53:11
3,165 Posts
My rant EXACTLY! I totally understand the getting-up early and having the rest of the day (if you can spare it) but, my local club was pestering me to get out and ride @ 8am when the temps are hovering @ 32 degrees. WHY? If I wait until 10:30, it's 15 degrees warmer!
Sorry . . . . . . my rant exactly!

·
Ti me up
1,242 Posts
You never know

spookyload said:
Caffine is a powerful stimulant that can become a dependency. Not that you will end up on the street sniffing junk behind a dumpster from a coffee habit, but it will effect your training.
Maybe not just from a good cup of coffee, but watch out for those chocolate-covered espresso beans from Starbucks. Those things'll have you pawning old bike parts to get a fix!

·
Premium Member
20,473 Posts
Marcus75 said:

Thanks for listening
Why so late? I guess it depends on your perspective. In the summer months, I'm out the door at 6:00-6:30.

1. Traffic is very light
2. Temps are cool( Texas)
3. I can get in 50-60 miles and still have time for family obligations

·
The web is a MUT
1,373 Posts
Yep, ditto, traffic and home time stuff

I used to be a late riser on the weekends, but now I'm up at 5am or so every day during the week for work. Getting up early helps to avoid the heavy weekend traffic, helps to find parking at the ride start if you car-commute to the bike start point, and it can get you home early enough to not cause competing issues to home based needs. Let's the Mrs. sleep in if she wants, gets you home early enough to help out around the house which makes things much more amiable in the relationship.
And if/when I start commuting to work on the bike I'll probably have to start getting up at 4am or so to allow extra time to ride to work. Bummer, but that's life.

·
Converted Marathon Runner
358 Posts
No Traffic, and just plain quiet...

I get up and ride early on my weekends, when I should just be sleeping in. All by choice too.

Very little auto traffic is up and about at 6:00 AM, so that's a bonus.

Get back, quick nap, and then you have the whole day to eat junk food.

For MTBing, i hate cluttered up trails, so I get out there as early as possible.

It's cooler in the summer, but cooler in the winter too, so that kinda stinks.

But, you get to take a nap, and what's better than napping??

·
$4000 bike - two bit legs
1,433 Posts
Early? You call 8am early??

Gimme a break. 5am is early, 8am is the halfway mark.

Seriously, I get up that early so I can spend time with my family. On Sundays, I'll start a ride at 6am - yes, that's the start time. That way, I can get home around noon - the same time my wife and kids are driving in from church. Besides it gets too hot in the summer to ride into the afternoon.

I also get up that early once or twice a week to get some miles in before work.

·
Premium Member
10,106 Posts
You just need to find the right friends

Marcus75 said:

Thanks for listening
The posts above have most of the good reasons for early starts. In warm weather months, I try to get an early start and do not mind meeting people early. However, in winter, I try to start as late as possible (e.g., 1:00-2:00 p.m.) so that I am riding at the warmest part of the day and have the entire morning free for family and errands. Among the people with whom I ride, there are early birds and night owls. If I want to ride late and have someone along, I just call a night owl.

·
pack fodder
442 Posts
For all of the reasons previously mentioned, and one more that I can think of. The 8 a.m. Saturday club rides I go on are run out of a shop. Our group can knock out a 2-hour ride and the shop owner can be back by 10 to open. (although the shop ee's that don't come on the ride are usually there getting ready to open anyway)

·
Registered
140 Posts
too much to do & not enough daylight hours

Marcus75 said:

Thanks for listening
a lot of the time in the south people say that rides start in the early am to avoid the heat of the day. i call bs on this one. while i can see that this is true to a certain extent - it is, afterall, cooler in the am than at 3pm - the fact is that if it is going to be 98* by 10 am unless you start your ride at 6 am it's not going to make a bit of difference in terms of the temps.

i think that the primary reason why many group rides start really early is so that you can get your ride done and still have daylight hours left to get other stuff done. for people who have kids especially - someone has to watch the kids while the other is out riding. weekends are often family time and starting a 3-4 hour ride at 10 or 11 means you're not done, fed, & cleaned up until mid-afternoon. as someone who just recently bought a house all i could think of on my ride this weekend that didn't start until 11am was 'how am i going to get a 4 hr training ride in and still have time to make my 18th trip down to Home Depot, and plant the bulbs in my garden, and hang the shelves in my closet, and still have time to clean up & feed myself before i fall into bed exhausted?!"

make the shift to getting up early on the weekends. you'll be surprised how nice it is to know that you've finished the hardest part of your day and it's not even lunch time yet!

rt

·
Registered
140 Posts
now, THAT i understand.

JetSpeed said:
My rant EXACTLY! I totally understand the getting-up early and having the rest of the day (if you can spare it) but, my local club was pestering me to get out and ride @ 8am when the temps are hovering @ 32 degrees. WHY? If I wait until 10:30, it's 15 degrees warmer!
Sorry . . . . . . my rant exactly!
in the winter it's hard to motivate out of bed at 8 am to ride if it's 28*.

maybe that's why god invented mountain biking! no wind chill in the woods.

rt

·
Strained coccyx etc etc
21,050 Posts
bingo. we have a winner! nm

no message

·
Windrider (Stubborn)
22,021 Posts
Why ride so late?

By 8:00am starting in the spring, I already have an hour and 1/2 riding in on most Saturday's & Sunday's. My shortest ride is usually 3 1/2 hours, most weekend rides are over 4. Doing it this way, I'm home and showered before lunch.

I travel all week. The weekends are the only time I have with my wife & kids so I ride early to have more time with them. It's about choice.

Plus, there is nothing better than getting a 4 hour ride in before most of the world wakes up......It's like stealing time, and the day at dawn is at it's most peaceful and beautiful.

During the winter, I move the start back to 7:30 or so. As long as you dress right the cold is not an issue.

8:00 am is way too late to start a ride.

Len

1 - 19 of 19 Posts