Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

· Registered
Joined
·
170 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I want a nice, pretty, long lasting road bike that does it all.

Potts seems to know his shyte - he's local, and a real nice guy.

Is there something else to consider?

Anyone have one?

Any idea what they cost?
 

· Squalor
Joined
·
239 Posts
There is NO reason.

Potts is #1 on my list of Ti builders. There is just something about his bikes.

I e-mailed him about a 29er before I bought my Moots (got too good of deal to pass up, if price was equal I would have gone with Potts). His price for a 29er was ~$2850 for full custom.

That has been several months ago, but I think that price is more than reasonable given his pedigree.

Wonder if he will do a Type II road fork.

Yummy.

LP
 

· Registered
Joined
·
170 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
lanpope said:
There is NO reason.

Potts is #1 on my list of Ti builders. There is just something about his bikes.

I e-mailed him about a 29er before I bought my Moots (got too good of deal to pass up, if price was equal I would have gone with Potts). His price for a 29er was ~$2850 for full custom.

That has been several months ago, but I think that price is more than reasonable given his pedigree.

Wonder if he will do a Type II road fork.

Yummy.

LP
Is it worth haggling with him? How much do similar frames go for? (I'm a mountain biker, primarily and don't know road bikes too well)
 

· Squalor
Joined
·
239 Posts
IRMB said:
Is it worth haggling with him? How much do similar frames go for? (I'm a mountain biker, primarily and don't know road bikes too well)
No haggling.

If the price is too steep, look at steel, or maybe try to find something used (probably won't have much luck finding a used Potts road frame in ANY size).

That price is very comparable with other high end ti builders. There are some budget guys out there doing good work in ti (Scott Quiring comes to mind) so you could check them out as an option.

Good luck.

LP
 

· Registered
Joined
·
170 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
lanpope said:
No haggling.

If the price is too steep, look at steel, or maybe try to find something used (probably won't have much luck finding a used Potts road frame in ANY size).

That price is very comparable with other high end ti builders. There are some budget guys out there doing good work in ti (Scott Quiring comes to mind) so you could check them out as an option.

Good luck.

LP
The price isn't necessarily too steep - I'm just wondering if haggling is appropriate.

I've never had a custom frame built, for one, and if Potts isn't price competetive (I have no idea if he is or isn't - I have no idea what he charges... ) then maybe... Just thinking out loud as it were.

My goal is to build an heirloom quality bike - using as many components built/designed by my friends as possible. I used to work with Steve, and two of my buddies are engineers for Sram/Alpha Q, respectively.

So, I'm thinking Potts custom Ti frame, Sram Red and Alpha Q fork/bars/post - then hand built wheels and take it from there.

Are hand built wheels still performance/weight competetive in road bikes?

I sound like such a n00b - but I swear I know MTB's, really, I do!:p
 

· Registered
Joined
·
1,020 Posts
I have a custom Ti frame and love it. I went by the Potts booth at the handmade bike show. Those bikes just called to me in a way no frame ever has. Simply incredible aesthetics and you KNOW they ride nice too! See, there's really no way you can go wrong! :p
 

· eminence grease
Joined
·
18,559 Posts
Have you asked about his lead time?

For some reason, 5 years sticks in my mind.

For ti, there are dozens of builders to choose from. Strong, DeSalvo, Kish, Eriksen, plus bigger concerns like Moots.

Not diminishing Steve Potts, but if your goal is an "heirloom" then it might make sense to talk to as many builders as will pick up the phone and spend the time with you.
 

· Registered
Joined
·
170 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
terry b said:
Have you asked about his lead time?

For some reason, 5 years sticks in my mind.

For ti, there are dozens of builders to choose from. Strong, DeSalvo, Kish, Eriksen, plus bigger concerns like Moots.

Not diminishing Steve Potts, but if your goal is an "heirloom" then it might make sense to talk to as many builders as will pick up the phone and spend the time with you.
5 years would not be acceptable!

We'll see - I just traded some emails with him yesterday.
 

· eminence grease
Joined
·
18,559 Posts
IRMB said:
5 years would not be acceptable!

We'll see - I just traded some emails with him yesterday.
It will be interesting to find out the timing.

This is the Golden Age of Custom Bicycles, delivery times are going out the window, even with guys who used to be able to turn them around within a quarter.
 

· Climbin' Clyde
Joined
·
856 Posts
+3 on the "keep us posted". First I discovered that Bruce Gordon was 15 miles away from me, now I look up Steve Potts and see he's 30 miles away. Heard of him but never knew he was in Point Reyes. Truly the Golden Age.
 

· Registered
Joined
·
170 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Sablotny said:
+3 on the "keep us posted". First I discovered that Bruce Gordon was 15 miles away from me, now I look up Steve Potts and see he's 30 miles away. Heard of him but never knew he was in Point Reyes. Truly the Golden Age.
Just got off the phone with Potts.

He's is the coolest cat there is.

Lead times are most certainly less than 5 years, thank gawd. Don't you guys go and ruin it for me if I tell you!

He said 3 months.

Will go see him soon and talk some more.

<excited>
 

· Registered
Joined
·
60 Posts
You can't go wrong with a frame from Steve; you can't find a better, more meticulous builder. And as you've found out, he's a great guy. Also a very fine rider. I'm not riding one of his bikes only because I ended up getting a bike from Kent Eriksen instead. They're both old and good friends of mine whose framesI have always appreciated and the only reason I opted for the Eriksen is because I really like his curved seat and chain stays. And his seat post. Otherwise I would have ordered a frame from Steve for sure.
 

· Registered
Joined
·
170 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
velotel said:
You can't go wrong with a frame from Steve; you can't find a better, more meticulous builder. And as you've found out, he's a great guy. Also a very fine rider. I'm not riding one of his bikes only because I ended up getting a bike from Kent Eriksen instead. They're both old and good friends of mine whose framesI have always appreciated and the only reason I opted for the Eriksen is because I really like his curved seat and chain stays. And his seat post. Otherwise I would have ordered a frame from Steve for sure.
I've known Steve for 18 years - having had the chance to work with him, see his work from start to finish, learn from him and spend time getting to know him, I was fairly convinced I wanted him to build my bike.

That said, people get stuck in a mindset and don't always see all options. Hence the OP. Sounds like my instincts were correct.

Based on others recomendations I checked out Kish, Strong and others. Beautiful frames, all - but 10 years from now I'd never be able to say "I used to work with the guy and he's an old friend" of anyone but Potts.
 
1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top