Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
192 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am curious why almost all of the pro racers are riding with white bar tape and white saddles. My local group rides and buddies are 99% black tape & black saddles. Is the white used becuase it looks better on TV or something? Any insight would be appreciated.

·
Adorable Furry Hombre
32,326 Posts
KennyG said:
I am curious why almost all of the pro racers are riding with white bar tape and white saddles. My local group rides and buddies are 99% black tape & black saddles. Is the white used becuase it looks better on TV or something? Any insight would be appreciated.
Black hides stains and grime better.

White is much more eyecatching---and also helps making logos on products much more visible, it also makes seeing what kind of saddle someone is riding far easier. Also, when you're sponsored and have team mechs etc etc you don't have to worry about the $$$ or time cost in replacing your bar tape after every week of racing.

Also as we've established here on RBR.... White bar tape and saddles are far faster than colored versions of either.

·
Premium Member
20,696 Posts
Fashion....This sport is extremely fashion conscience...

I always heard that back in the old days white tape was used to tell a rider that his bike was done being worked on by the mechanic...Since bar tape was the last thing applied, if the bike had clean white tape, the rider knew the mechanic was done with it..

if I had to guess, it was for fashion back then too.....:p

·
Fly on a windshield
1,272 Posts
Room 1201 said:
Also as we've established here on RBR.... White bar tape and saddles are far faster than colored versions of either.
So that's what's been holding me back all these years. I always knew that it wasn't my limited abilities. :D

·
Registered
192 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
The white making sponsors' logos stand out makes sense. I figured it had something to do with TV/advertising/$. I used white bar tape once for about 4 weeks. Before I actually rode the bike, it looked great. After the first couple of rides, it looked good. After two weeks, it looked dingey. After a month, it looked 5 years old. I finally decided (like the AD/DC song) to go "Back in Black".
I am definately NOT a pro, and my attitude here may link back to my MTB roots (where you find no white grips or saddles), but to me there is something that feels a little, I'll say.....dainty about the white tape and saddle. I agree that it does look sharp on many frames, and it may be faster and lighter (is there any scientific evidence to support this?), but can it really take a hit and keep going the way black can?
It's kind of like dress slacks vs jeans - do you want something that looks sharp and clean but requires lots of care, or do you want something that you can work in and play in and not have to worry about? A good musical analogy would be Clay Aiken vs AC/DC.....

·
Registered
58 Posts
KennyG said:
White bar tape used to designate the team captain. The idea about using white is that it is a very impractical colour to use on a bike, especially on bar tape. By being impractical it raises the status of the rider.

According to Bjarne Riis, Team CSC Saxo Bank uses white bar tape because it symbolises that "everyone can be captain" meaning that the riders performance not his place in the hierarchy determine whether he is allowed to ride his chance. Eg. During Paris-Roubaix 2007 Cancellara (Captain) signaled bad legs and no chance of winning, so BR allowed O'Grady to ride his own chance instead of helping Cancellara. Just common sense people might say, but in the past domestiques just rode for the captain, even if the domestique was better than the captain.

--
Regards

·
Registered
1,611 Posts
It's all part of the vast right wing conspiracy of the cycling manufacturers to come up with a new gimmick to get you to fork over $$$ and say, "I gotta get it" or "I gotta upgrade." Like every year there's a minor modification (e.g., the infamous "SL") that saves 15 grams over last year's version! Act now while supplies last! Team edition! We've all fallen for that trap at least once.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.