Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Schuylkill Trail Bum
5,130 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm constantly surprised by people who don't get humorous posts in a thread in some of the cycling-related forums.

Geez. One poster actually negative-repped another poster for a humorous response in a thread that was a goof right from the start.

Without citing specific threads, like one of the latest disc brake threads (if I were to stoop to citing a thread), what's up with that?

Disclaimer: I did not use the search function to determine if "why so serious" had already been addressed in previous threads. I did not look at all forums to determine if "Lounge" is the most appropriate place for this thread. My tire pressure is my business, and is, I feel, appropriate to my weight, riding style, and what the manufacturer put on the side of the tire as a recommended pressure range; but it's probably too high based on what some of the tire-pressure ninnies would admonish. I'm agnostic when it comes to frame materials, although if questioned about it in a life or death, or heaven or hell situation, I will say Steel is Real. As I'm still mad about the dumb mud-magnet U-brake that came as a new, better brake on my 1986 Shogun Prairie Breaker PRO, I'm leaning toward thinking disc brakes on road bikes might be another U-brake BS "upgrade" being forced down us road bikers' throats by Big Bicycle and pothead MTB'ers.

·
Registered
14,713 Posts
Being constantly surprised by something that happens constantly evidences either a sweetly childlike capacity for wonder, or early-onset Alzheimer's.

NTTAWW either of those.

But seriously (if that's not the wrong word) I'd chalk most of it up to the difficulty in conveying tone in bare words. Without the raised eyebrow or the deliberate smirk or shrug, sarcasm can be misunderstood, unless the writer is unusually gifted and careful (some here are - most of us are not).

I'm sure your tire pressure is way too high, and I pity you for that. I have no opinion on disc brakes, since I'll probably never buy another road bike, as I'm 65 years old and reasonably confident that the (steel) bike I ride will last the rest of my riding life. If I happen to run across a suitable frame I may build up another road fixie, or maybe a SS MTB for errands and vacation riding.

I've never ridden a carbon-fiber frame, even on a test ride. Thus, I have probably missed out on what would have been the greatest experience of my life.

What the hell was I talking about, speaking of early-onset whatchacallit . . .

·
Schuylkill Trail Bum
5,130 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Being constantly surprised by something that happens constantly evidences either a sweetly childlike capacity for wonder, or early-onset Alzheimer's.

NTTAWW either of those.

But seriously (if that's not the wrong word) I'd chalk most of it up to the difficulty in conveying tone in bare words. Without the raised eyebrow or the deliberate smirk or shrug, sarcasm can be misunderstood, unless the writer is unusually gifted and careful (some here are - most of us are not).

I'm sure your tire pressure is way too high, and I pity you for that. I have no opinion on disc brakes, since I'll probably never buy another road bike, as I'm 65 years old and reasonably confident that the (steel) bike I ride will last the rest of my riding life. If I happen to run across a suitable frame I may build up another road fixie, or maybe a SS MTB for errands and vacation riding.

I've never ridden a carbon-fiber frame, even on a test ride. Thus, I have probably missed out on what would have been the greatest experience of my life.

What the hell was I talking about, speaking of early-onset whatchacallit . . .
Probably a little of both in my case.

And now, song about me, sung to the tune of "I'm a Little Bit Country"

♫ I'm a little bit childlike ♫
♫ I'm a little dementia-fied ♫

Come on, everybody sing.

·
Registered
7,492 Posts
I know, I know. :confused:

People still, after all this time, take the issue of assploding carbon seriously :rolleyes::rolleyes:

And cannot seem to understand an obviously humorous response. Not enough emojis I guess :D

Plus, some people seem to go borderline psycho when they fail to do the simplest of google searches before asking their stale question :eek:

I thought that individual might get a long posting vacation, but no. They still be around.

·
User is infamous around
2,738 Posts
I'm constantly surprised by people who don't get humorous posts in a thread in some of the cycling-related forums.

Geez. One poster actually negative-repped another poster for a humorous response in a thread that was a goof right from the start.

Without citing specific threads, like one of the latest disc brake threads (if I were to stoop to citing a thread), what's up with that?

Disclaimer: I did not use the search function to determine if "why so serious" had already been addressed in previous threads. I did not look at all forums to determine if "Lounge" is the most appropriate place for this thread. My tire pressure is my business, and is, I feel, appropriate to my weight, riding style, and what the manufacturer put on the side of the tire as a recommended pressure range; but it's probably too high based on what some of the tire-pressure ninnies would admonish. I'm agnostic when it comes to frame materials, although if questioned about it in a life or death, or heaven or hell situation, I will say Steel is Real. As I'm still mad about the dumb mud-magnet U-brake that came as a new, better brake on my 1986 Shogun Prairie Breaker PRO, I'm leaning toward thinking disc brakes on road bikes might be another U-brake BS "upgrade" being forced down us road bikers' throats by Big Bicycle and pothead MTB'ers.

Because cycling (as opposed to just riding your bike) is serious business, by gum and by golly! You should be honored to even being allowed in their presence, therefore a proper and grave manner is not just implied but expected and demanded! May Heaven have mercy on your soul should you be caught cycling (as opposed to just riding your bike) in anything other than a coordinated matching kit AND the proper mandated tire pressure.

·
Schuylkill Trail Bum
5,130 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Sometimes out there in the bicycle forums, I feel like I died and went to Weight Weenies.

·
Registered
7,492 Posts
WW is always serious.

·
Registered
14,713 Posts

·
Registered
1,789 Posts

I was one of the first people to respond to that latest brake thread and thought I was sarcastic enough without having to use an emoji...I was wrong.

·
Registered
7,492 Posts
I was one of the first people to respond to that latest brake thread and thought I was sarcastic enough without having to use an emoji...I was wrong.
I'd say the majority went along with the humorous approach to that one.

Not like the wind-chilled, assploding carbon one, where about 40% wanted to lecture on the properties of carbon, plus explain wind chill (I'm in southern Ontario - I know what wind chill is).

And one got all butt hurt on me.

Thanks to @pitt, I have saved the "hurt feelings" report to deploy in the future if necessary.

1 - 20 of 46 Posts