Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
186 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've got a perfectly good road bike (Serotta Fierte Ti, mostly Campy, etc) that fits me about as well as any bike has, functions fine, rides and handles nicely and is in great shape.
So why do I have this almost irresistible urge to buy another road bike?
I don't race, so I don't need a bike for TT, crits or track. I don't do multi day solo tours, so I don't need a touring bike. I'm not a messenger, though I do have a SS/fixie for cruising around town. I usually do 20-40 mile solo rides however fast my body feels up to that day, and if I total 2000 miles, it's a good year. Why do I need (want) another bike to do the same kind of riding???
Please, either talk some sense into me or help me justify another bike (I seem to be interested in a Specialized Roubaix or Giant OCR C2).

·
Registered
32 Posts
Akirasho said:
In professional psychology circles, this is considered normal cyclists behavior... welcome to normal!!!!
Yes, all normal.....welcome to the club. You can join, but you can never leave without a new bike.

I'm in the same situation. I have a mid range Guru road bike with 105 that I don't mind smacking through rough local city roads and rainy days. I have a high end older model Pinarello Opera cromoly bike for long group rides in the country. And I want a new Wilier Cento Uno carbon bike for show, personal appeal, and because it is a lot cheaper than buying a sports car on my 50th birthday. Cycling manufacturers already know we want a new bike every 3 to 5 years anyway, so why fight it. It is really not a very expensive passion.

·
MTBR Member
3,124 Posts
Ricksom said:
It is really not a very expensive passion.
My cycling passion will probably end up costing me an estimated 35% of my total income this year. Good thing I'm not into an expensive hobby. :)

Races, parts, accessories, new bike... it adds up quickly when you're a student who can only work 4 months a year. But, that's why you go to school. Get an education. Get a good paying job. Get more bikes. :)

·
Registered
120 Posts
Sounds normal to me. I don't race either. I just like hammering out 40+ miles hard on not-too-hilly terrain with no traffic on a bike that feels like it's part of my body. Maybe that's why I have 7 road bikes (not counting my vintage bikes of course), all race level, Dura Ace drivetrains (except for my Felt F3c-SRAM Force), mostly Mavick Ksyrium SL or ES, or Bontrager Race X Lites. So it's OK, as long as you're not jeopardizing yourself or your family financially to indulge yourself.
Just my two cents...take with a tablespoon of electrolyte powder and a gallon of gatorade.

·
Registered
32 Posts
As a student you really can't afford anything.....been there, done that, don't want to be there again. When I was in university, I had a stereo, an old tennis racket, an old ten speed road bike, and a car worth about $500 that was passed down to me by my father instead of going to the scrap yard.

Oh, and I walked to class in my old gym clothes, in the snow, in -25C weather, all uphill, and into a blizzard head wind...... ;)

·
Registered
2,620 Posts
ric426 said:
I've got a perfectly good road bike (Serotta Fierte Ti, mostly Campy, etc) .....................
So why do I have this almost irresistible urge to buy another road bike?..............Why do I need (want) another bike to do the same kind of riding???...........(I seem to be interested in a Specialized Roubaix ...........
I have a Merlin Magia that fits perfectly. I have a vintage Paramount OS that is candy apple red that I ride on Sunday.

Yet like you, I am seriously considering a 2009 Roubaix!

Actually, I'm getting one.

"Why" is not the question.

The question is "why not"! :)

·
What up, dog?
473 Posts
ric426 said:
I've got a perfectly good road bike (Serotta Fierte Ti, mostly Campy, etc) that fits me about as well as any bike has, functions fine, rides and handles nicely and is in great shape.
So why do I have this almost irresistible urge to buy another road bike?
I don't race, so I don't need a bike for TT, crits or track. I don't do multi day solo tours, so I don't need a touring bike. I'm not a messenger, though I do have a SS/fixie for cruising around town. I usually do 20-40 mile solo rides however fast my body feels up to that day, and if I total 2000 miles, it's a good year. Why do I need (want) another bike to do the same kind of riding???
Please, either talk some sense into me or help me justify another bike (I seem to be interested in a Specialized Roubaix or Giant OCR C2).
Are you me?

·
disgruntled pigskin fan
3,224 Posts
If buying a new bike motivates you to ride even more, I say go for it with no regrets. More riding = more happy.

·
Hucken The Fard Up !
4,605 Posts
I feel your pain :)

I am in the same situation as you, do 40-50km rides, I have a Trek 5500 with full Ultegra double 53/39 and a 13-25 cassette, it fullfilled all my riding needs for many years.

Then as I started to do more hills and I found a great deal on a full Ultegra tripple 6600, I upgraded my bike with it.

I am totally happy with the new bike :) 52/39/30 with a 12-27 cassette.

I mounted the full bike myself and I got hooked. So I started to get more upgrades for it. A new carbon handlebars, seatpost etc...

But now, what do I do with the double set ?

The answer was to get some parts and build another bike, so I did, got a trek 5000 frame and build another bike with the parts. I mounted it myself and I liked it even more.

I then sold this other bike and with the money I got for it, I got me a time trial aero frame , TT handlebars and a Dura Ace crankset, I am now looking to buy some carbon/disc wheels to finish that project.

The time trial frame is a beutiful full carbon Bailey, that came with some 9 speed parts.

But I decided to set it up with a 10 speed DA set, It would be an special TT setup with a 7800 DA 55/42 crankset and a 11-21 cassette. I am enjoying every minute of getting the parts and soon I'll have them here and build the bike,

I don't really need such a bike as I don't race or do triathlons, but I find the TT bike a real beauty and it is indeed different from my main bike.

The main bike will be to do the hills with a group of guys I started to ride with, and the TT bike will be to go as fast as I can on the flats.

But in the process of buying the parts ( all sourced from ebay and other local sources ) I got me an additional crankset DA 7700, a DA derailer 9 speed and a pair of Ultegra brakes at an excellent price.

So what will I do with those remaining parts ? I'll maybe build me a CX bike :)

Who knows, maybe when the TT bike is finished I'll enjoy it more than my beloved old friend the 5500, maybe not, simply I'll resell it when is finished to a real rider who does races.

I know, I know, I got a little crazy with all this, but I like it ! :p

·
Registered
12,593 Posts
To answer your question, if you have money left over after saving for a 6 month disaster fund, the kids' college, retirement, and any future savings goals, then go right ahead and buy whatever you want even though you don't NEED it. Now, if you aren't taking care of what you need to take care of and you don't NEED a bike, then you shouldn't buy it. If you need to put it on plastic and pay 20% on it, then you shouldn't buy it unless it is something that can actually make you money, which in this case I would highly doubt.

Me, I have a Colnago Cristallo, a Colnago Arte, a Colnago Oval Krono, and a Bianchi FG Lite all built with Record, Cinelli Ram bars, seatposts, and bottle cages, and Zipp wheels. I also have a CAAD5 built with Veloce/Centaur and cheap wheels, bars, and seat, and I have a Mino Denti with Columbus SL tubing from 1985 built with Super Record along with 3 wheelsets for it. Oh yeah, I have a spare Arte frame sitting in a box just in case I wreck the Arte I race. On top of all that, I am planning on getting a Colnago C50 this winter and I have already started accumulating the Record components for the build. I definitely don't NEED all these bikes, but we can afford them. Between 2004 and 2005, money was tight because we bought a townhouse, got engaged, remodeled the townhouse, and got married, so nothing was spent on things we didn't NEED. The fun stuff came afterward.

Oh yeah, if you have any debt that you are paying interest on other than a mortgage on your house, then you shouldn't buy the bike. Put the money toward paying off the debt to save interest expense, and then buy the bike afterward with the extra money saved from not having to pay interest. Way too many people have way too much debt, and they figure that it is fine as long as they can make the monthly payments. Problem occurs when things get tight or an unexpected expense pops up and then they are SOL.

I have no idea what category you fall under financially, so it is a little hard to talk you into or out of a bike purchase. If you are Bill Gates, buy a bike shop, if you are unemployed don't spend money on anything other than food, shelter, and clothing.

Another way to think about it is that if you hold out for a year, there will be a new and improved frame and components out next year. Buying a bike is kind of like buying a computer. As soon as you buy it, something new comes out. I thought I was in good shape with these Record 10 speed groupos, but within 2 years of purchasing them, Campy is coming out with 11 speed and my groupos are obsolete. Colnago has discountinued the Cristallo and came out with the Extreme Power 2 months after I boguht my Cristallo. Had I known, I would have bought the Extreme Power instead. 2 years after coming out with the Extreme Power, Colnago is coming out with an updated and improved Extreme Power in 2009. If you don't buy the bike this year, you will still have plenty to choose from next year.

·
Registered
186 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Lest things get too far from my original question, I'll be buying a another bike only if I sell some musical gear, so there wouldn't be any money taken out of the family budget.
My main puzzle is why I want another bike to do the same kind of riding that my current bike does perfectly well and do I want to give up some nice musical gear (that's not getting much use) to do it. More of a philosphical "am I crazy?" kind of question.
From the responses, I'm obviously not the only one to want/have multiple bikes that serve the same function. Come to think of it, I've got several instruments that play the same notes, so it shouldn't seem that extravagant to me. All I'd be doing is decreasing the number of instruments and increasing the number of bikes. Seems reasonable.
The instruments hold their resale value better though...

1 - 20 of 41 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.