Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 20 of 52 Posts

·
Registered
520 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
just curious.... as i've been reading around here, and before that, watching the pros ride, why the leaning towards bibs instead of regular shorts? it always seemed to me like the extra material would be just another irritant, but obviously there is something i am missing,,,

·
Fat'r + Slow'r than TMB
10,086 Posts
I find them more comfortable. No elastic waste band to roll up. Not flashing everyone my plumbers butt. Keeps everything in place. After riding with bibs once I will not go back to shorts. I even wear them MTB riding.

·
Darling of The Lounge
5,336 Posts
tindrum said:
it always seemed to me like the extra material would be just another irritant
The same could be said for the elastic on the waistband of shorts.

I like bibs because they are more comfortable. The only downside for me is that they take a little more effort to answer the call of nature.

·
I ride in circles..
4,990 Posts
I'm thinking about getting a few pairs of bibs.. I like having more than 1 set though.. I like having at least 3 sets of shorts to ride in.. Currently I only have cheaper Cinelli gel shorts. I would like to "upgrade" to Pearl Izumi Attack bibs. but damn.. $89 a pair.. getting 3 pair would set me back a little more than I'd like...

Do you all usually just wash your bibs right after a ride? Making them usable the next day? How many pairs do you own?

·
Cannot bench own weight
4,298 Posts
Bibs for me, for reasons already stated. I hate how the waistband on shorts suffer the roll down effect, especially for us guys that don't have a flat stomach. I also don't have to worry about skin peeping through when I move around.

Plus it's just more comfortable without being restricted around the waist by the band.

·
your text here
13,203 Posts
comfort
stay in place
no belly flopping out

that belly thing can be gross. saw a biker the other day who stopped to chat. i know he was wearing shorts because shorts rolled down a bit, exposing a hairy, fish-pale belly. i dont want to subject anyone to my grossness.

·
Registered
5,844 Posts
Almost everyone who tries bibs never goes back to wearing regular shorts. That should tell you something. Buy some bibs and you will quickly find out why they are better than shorts. The only thing better about shorts is that they are generally less expensive.

·
Registered
8,252 Posts
I have both...and never wear my shorts any longer. I'll wash my bibs every day if I have to. they are just much, much more comfortable.

As others have stated, they stay in place better, they don't show any plumbers crack during a ride and they hide some of the things better that probably shouldn't be seen whether you are heavy or not.

The biggest problem is that the shoulder straps can sometimes be a bit long if you have odd body shapes.

If you are worried about excessive chaffing...which hasn't been a problem yet, use a base layer short sleeve T-Shirt. They don't over heat you unless you are in 90 degree+ weather, eliminate any chaffing issues and in some ways will help keep you cooler during a ride.

I've gone "Bib's" and I'm never going back.

The only time my shorts see any time on my body any longer is during the winter when I'm riding my trainer and can't get outside.

·
Registered
1,326 Posts
I guess everybody's different. I was using Microsensor shorts, got a pair of the
new bibs. The bibs cost $20 more, and it's hard for me to justify the additional
expense. Normally I will just grab whatever pair of microsensors that is on top
on the clothes drawer, no appreciable difference in comfort.

1 - 20 of 52 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.