Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 20 of 118 Posts

·
Lemur-ing
18,987 Posts
tober1 said:
People love to hate Lance and Lance rides a Trek.
And they're over-priced.
I haven't checked the prices of bikes for a long time, but aren't Cervelos expensive (more than Trek)?

Also, aren't Pinarellos much more expensive?

And, what about Look?

Like I said, I haven't been in the loop for prices for quite sometime now so correct me if I'm wrong.

·
Registered
728 Posts
uzziefly said:
I haven't checked the prices of bikes for a long time, but aren't Cervelos expensive (more than Trek)?

Also, aren't Pinarellos much more expensive?

And, what about Look?

Like I said, I haven't been in the loop for prices for quite sometime now so correct me if I'm wrong.
They're more expensive for more bike :)
Entry level Treks cost more for similar or poorer component specs.
I just got a new bike and Trek couldn't hold a flame to anything else in terms of spec to price.

·
Registered
2,250 Posts
tober1 said:
People love to hate Lance and Lance rides a Trek.
And they're over-priced.
They're also made in the U.S.A.

A large part of why this country is going down the toilet is that we have completely lost are manufacturing base. Lots of people need jobs in this country, the service sector is only good for so many things.

Keep giving those jobs to Tawian and see what happens.

As for Lance. I don't care what he rides. I ride Trek because I really like the way they feel and handle. They fit me like a glove.

·
Registered
728 Posts
heathb said:

A large part of why this country is going down the toilet is that we have completely lost are manufacturing base. Lots of people need jobs in this country, the service sector is only good for so many things.

As for Lance. I don't care what he rides. I ride Trek because I really like the way they feel and handle. They fit me like a glove.

Not sure about Treks being made in the USA. Maybe a few of them are, but I think quite a few also come from the East. My new CAAD9 WAS however made in PA :)

·
Registered
2,250 Posts
The high dollar Treks will have a sticker stating "Made in the USA". Yes you can buy the cheaper models and they'll state made else where.

I think the Madones are made in the US.

I'm for keeping the manufactures in this country working. I'm not sure why that's such an unpopular position to have these days.

·
I didn't even own a cat..
594 Posts
because everyone hates the big dogs.

·
Registered
728 Posts
agreed!

heathb said:
The high dollar Treks will have a sticker stating "Made in the USA". Yes you can buy the cheaper models and they'll state made else where.

I think the Madones are made in the US.

I'm for keeping the manufactures in this country working. I'm not sure why that's such an unpopular position to have these days.

Couldn't agree more. It was a big part of my bike decision.
People often underestimate their purchasing power.
I bought US and I live in Canada!

·
Banned
3,060 Posts
It might be left over resentment from their strong-arm tactics of the late 80's early 90's. I know of two dealers who were told they were "required" to order a certain quantity of the high end bikes. Back then it was a lot to ask a mom and pop shop to stock a 5500 OCLV when there was no market. Or When you're known for fine European frames why have an American made bike? The bike that were making the money for the shops were in the $250-$500 range and they were rolling out the door all day long. It pissed them off to be told to stock 2 or 3 bikes which cost 8 or 10 times as much as the desired bikes. Trek's position was "stock the whole line or cease to be a dealer."

I know for a fact that Yellow Jersey in Madison told them "send a truck, your bikes are piled in the parking lot." An hour later Trek sent a semi and loaded them up.

·
Windrider (Stubborn)
22,021 Posts
For me:

1.) The geometry is screwy.
2.) They are everywhere.

Hate is too strong a word for me......it's more Meh......indifference.

len

·
Banned
3,254 Posts
heathb said:

I don't have a Trek but like a lot of the stuff they're doing and I saw some National Geographic? thing about the manufacture, features, and testing of the new Madones. I was impressed. I also like the made in the USA, and the lifetime warranty

I just missed a demo day here, my mistake, but the consensus seems to be that they ride really well.

On the downside they're using LA as a marketing tool and I think they have a 90% positive rating (my estimate) for that. I just happen to fall into the 10% who are alienated because they think he really is a tool.

·
la dolce vita
2,316 Posts
heathb said:

Most Treks are made overseas. Only the high end models are Wisconsin made.

I think the biggest issue I have with Trek is that they have lost their soul. It once was a small town success story, started in a barn kind of company. As they grew, they bought Lemond, Klein, Bontrager, etc and the next thing you know they are the equivalent of GM.
Plenty of people like GM, I guess, but not me.

·
Registered
296 Posts
My take: most serious cyclists find the out-of-the-mainstream aspect of cycling appealing. These are people who can talk about Coppi, or whether or not Quick-Step's kit was better than La Vie Claire's, or the proper way to glue tubulars.

Most of the bike companies that are favored only sell high end bikes (or at least only high end bikes in the U.S.). Trek is a mass market bike that also does high end bikes. Instead of being Ferrari or Porsche, they are like Chevrolet with a Corvette model (not a perfect analogy, but it does communicate).

When you're riding your Pinarello Prince, there's no chance someone is going to come up to the stop sign beside you on a $400 hybrid and look over and say: "hey, we're riding the same bike!"

That may not be the whole story, but I think it is a big part of the story.

·
Registered
2,250 Posts
TWB8s said:
It might be left over resentment from their strong-arm tactics of the late 80's early 90's. I know of two dealers who were told they were "required" to order a certain quantity of the high end bikes. Back then it was a lot to ask a mom and pop shop to stock a 5500 OCLV when there was no market. Or When you're known for fine European frames why have an American made bike? The bike that were making the money for the shops were in the $250-$500 range and they were rolling out the door all day long. It pissed them off to be told to stock 2 or 3 bikes which cost 8 or 10 times as much as the desired bikes. Trek's position was "stock the whole line or cease to be a dealer."

I know for a fact that Yellow Jersey in Madison told them "send a truck, your bikes are piled in the parking lot." An hour later Trek sent a semi and loaded them up.

The problem is if the manufactures don't make some demands the dealers will do little to push a product that helps to support Trek. $250-500 bikes isn't going to cut it. That might support a CEO making him fat and rich, but that won't do anything for those that roll up their sleeves and actually build bikes.

There's lots of people in this country that are craftsmen, they work with their hands and take pride in what they make. They can't compete with somone overseas making $20 a day and no benefits, that's who's building all those Euro bikes with the fancy paint jobs.

·
Banned
3,060 Posts
DavidsonDuke said:
Trek is a mass market bike that also does high end bikes. Instead of being Ferrari or Porsche, they are like Chevrolet with a Corvette model (not a perfect analogy, but it does communicate).

That was a lot of shop's take on trek until LA started riding (and winning) and that perception was their biggest hurdle with racers as well.

It was that way with Shimano too. I think it may have been LA who was the first to win the TdF on a Shimano equipped bike.

·
Registered
2,250 Posts
And the Pinarello Prince is made in Tawain and giving a fancy paint job.

I'm not sure about Trek losing their soul by becoming bigger.

Did Tawain ever have a soul?

·
Cipo's long lost cousin
975 Posts
Agreed

On group rides you can always spot the older Trek carbon frames because the owners have tons of spacers. The head tubes are too short for most riders. The new Madones look nice and seem to address this.

·
Registered
691 Posts
Treks are expensive.??? Dont think so.. OK tell me if I overpaid... Bought new, 07 Trek 1600. Alum frame, carbon fork, 105 shifters, 105 front, ultera (sorry sp) rear... Paid 1000.

Also, 105 crank...

What sould I have paid....???

·
Windrider (Stubborn)
22,021 Posts
heathb said:
And the Pinarello Prince is made in Tawain and giving a fancy paint job.

I'm not sure about Trek losing their soul by becoming bigger.

Did Tawain ever have a soul?
Lot's of high end bikes are not made in Taiwan.

Len

1 - 20 of 118 Posts