Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
172 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
ok, i did a google machine and didnt come up with anything current.

watching the tour de calif. im seeing guys downing coke.
(im new to cycling races )

whats the deal. ? seems like now a days there has to be something better for u with the carbs etc.

thanks

·
Cranky Old Bastard
2,337 Posts
Cyclists have been using Coke for decades.

Quickly digested carbs, some caffeine and water but not as good as the new high-tech energy drinks.
Some dilute Coke with water for their bottles.

The Pause that Refreshes! Or was that some other soda???

·
Climbs like a sprinter...
6,976 Posts
Umm, because when I've been on the bike riding tempo for five hours and I've burned 4000 calories a Coke taste effing awesome and it won't even be a blip on the waistline.

·
Registered
8,245 Posts
As others have mentioned: quickly digested, carbs and caffeine

To add to this, there is also salt in the soda as well.

It actually makes for a pretty good energy drink that tastes "Really" good for most riders. Also, consider they drink these flat, not with carbonation which keeps the stomach from having issues on the bike.

The biggest thing to not underestimate is the taste ... some of the energy drinks out there are horrible tasting, regardless of how well they work. When you have another option that works great and tastes great ... why go another direction.

·
Registered
172 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
are you sure about the flat thing? all i see is the team car clearly handing over an unopened coke. the rider either opens it or puts in his jersey to give to the other team members....

i dont know of any other way of making it flat without being able to open it.....

as far as the taste. ive been lifting for so long and drinking nasty protein drinks etc. im kind of immune to the bad taste of a lot of these drinks now days.

to bad red bull doesnt have the cola available in the states anymore. that stuff was epic!!

·
Registered
5,859 Posts
are you sure about the flat thing? all i see is the team car clearly handing over an unopened coke. the rider either opens it or puts in his jersey to give to the other team members....

i dont know of any other way of making it flat without being able to open it.....

as far as the taste. ive been lifting for so long and drinking nasty protein drinks etc. im kind of immune to the bad taste of a lot of these drinks now days.

to bad red bull doesnt have the cola available in the states anymore. that stuff was epic!!
Red Bull cola is gone?

I tried one of their new fruit flavors a couple weeks ago. Not good. I like regular Red Bull, but there is something about a can of Coca-Cola. Tasty, but not too sweet.

·
Registered
8,245 Posts
are you sure about the flat thing?
Pretty sure ... when you read about the riders and what they drink, they always mention it being flat because the carbonation can upset their stomach's.

They may appear to be unopened, but are likely opened before the stage ... or they are getting some non-carbonated cokes that they can use during races. I'm guessing it wouldn't be too hard for a company like Coke-a-Cola to get some flat Soda's made up for races like these ... just for the sake of advertising.

·
Registered
172 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Pretty sure ... when you read about the riders and what they drink, they always mention it being flat because the carbonation can upset their stomach's.

They may appear to be unopened, but are likely opened before the stage ... or they are getting some non-carbonated cokes that they can use during races. I'm guessing it wouldn't be too hard for a company like Coke-a-Cola to get some flat Soda's made up for races like these ... just for the sake of advertising.

yeah i guess your right. or i never thought about it. if you shook the hell out of it, let it sit. and repeat ?

well, at least in MI redbull cola is gone. i know a rep, ill ask her. it was awesome.

·
Registered
7,161 Posts
yeah i guess your right. or i never thought about it. if you shook the hell out of it, let it sit. and repeat ?
No. You've got to let the gas out of the can. I've done it with coke in plastic bottles: shake, crack the lid and let the gas out, close and shake, repeat.

·
Pathlete and Pedalphile
3,182 Posts
I've also read that if you continually cool and warm the soda over and over it will make it go flat. It must be true, I read it on the interwebs. :D

·
Dr. Flats a lot
740 Posts
I'd say around half of the drinks we handed out in the final part of a race were cokes. Most of the time we'd just hand them the can, other times pour them in a bottle and hand them off. We never pre-poured them to allow them to get flat.

·
Too slow to be smart
506 Posts
Endurance athletes have been drinking soda during and immediately long and hard efforts for a long time. At the ultra marathons I've worked, Mountain Dew has been incredibly popular with Coke very close behind. As stated before, the quickly digested carbs are the reason.

·
Cranky Old Bastard
2,337 Posts
Really? Care to provide any data to support that claim? The "high-tech energy drinks" are sugar, water, maybe caffeine, and maybe salt. Coke doesn't have salt.
Hi Kerry
No, no data. Don't care about it enough to bother looking it up.

I was just going by the advertising where some of the high-tech stuff claims to replace "essential" electrolytes, minerals and vitamins lost during exercise.
Their ingredients list lots of stuff that coke doesn't have.
But really better? I don't know.

·
'brifter' is f'ing stupid
15,664 Posts
some guys like it flat, most just grab a can and down it. for the guys that liked it flat we'd make bottles and do the shake/pop the lid/shake thing 'til it was more or less flat, then put it in the cooler in the car. we'd also bring cans that we'd hand up as a last feed, right before feeding from the cars was done at 20k to go. snuck cans to a couple guys going up brasstown bald at ToG too...after feeding was closed. as a last bottle on a hard day they guys love it. the girls don't seem to be into it as much for some reason. probably 'cuz they're smarter.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.