Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
cyclist
7,904 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is the big question everyone is asking. It's not the old one so it sucks right? Well, change is hard but this one should be good. The system is Vbulletin and some of you are already familiar with it.

The hardest thing to get used to is the non-threaded view. You can' t see every single post on the main page. However, due to popular demand, we have incorporated a default "hybrid" view on the new system and we have also patched a sort-by option to have threads sorted by "latest thread". These all came about from the feedback that we got while rolling this new forum software out on our sister site, MtbReview.com.

Getting back to the main question, these are the reasons for the change:

1.) Better Features/Profiles

The new features with the new system are very powerful and will only enhance the experience for users. You have the ability to send private messages to other board users. You have the ability to see who's online and which board they're on. You have the ability to use (love 'em or hate 'em) avatars, to add a little personality to your posts. You have an extensive profile, for sharing your personal info with other board members. And if you don't like all the new fangled features, you don't "have" to use them.

2.) More Secure/Stable Environment

I have stated this previously, and is in regards to the "if it ain't broke, don't fix it" argument. And my point remains, that well, actually, it is broken. Like I said before, the broken parts are not all readily visible to board users, but it will be apparent incrementally. We will be better able to handle trolls, we will be able to deputize more moderators, these things will only add to the quality of the forums, not take away.

3.) This forum change opens doors for us to improve other sections of the site.

We get Photo Gallery trolls posting comments all the time on this site. Well, there is a plug-in gallery software that we hope to incorporate in the coming months that ties directly in to the Vbulletin system. This will provide a unified system which will allow people to not only see what posts a person has, you can also see what pictures they've posted in the gallery and even provide users with their own personal gallery. This also opens doors for us to tie in the reviews section of our site, and then you would also be able to see what reviews a particular person has written as well.

This decision to switch was a two year process for us, not something we decided to do over-night. We've switched forum software twice now, here on RoadBikeReview, and I am sure there will be some complaining, but there are way more people who prefer this new system. I am currently receiving a few emails and complaints about the new system over on MTBR, but these are few compared to the vast majority who have already gotten use to the new boards (if they were not already from another site). In fact, just the other morning, I received an email from an MTBR regular who had emailed me complaining about the boards two days prior, and is now admitting that he is getting used to it and sees the benefits of the new board.

Thanks for reading this and feel free to post feedback here.

-gregg

·
Tourist
989 Posts
Crappy change

The main advantage in the forums was that it was possible to have an overview of a thread without opening all the messages. With the "php" format this is not possible any more.

I notice that people are lazy: when I post a ride report, I always post links to a webpage that I've built, instead of posting directly the pictures. Although it is only one click away for the user and I take time to make a nice page, fewer people look at it.

Here it is the same, less users are going to spend the energy exploring a thread to see what's inside. And I am definitely going to spend less time on rbr.com.

Similarly, I have always found the search in the classifieds crappy. And I am an experimented buyer, I bought 3 bikes on RBR, one drivetrain, shifters, pedals, and I forget plenty. Unlike ebay, the search doesn't return what you are looking for, but just looks at priorities that are given depending on the price you pay. Well, this makes me buy less and less on this forum, and I will NEVER again put any ad here. The only point I see in this system is precisely that nobody takes time to investigate the classifieds, so the good deals last a long time and I can find them.

Too bad my opinion isn't worth anything, anyway here it is.

Pierre

·
cyclist
7,904 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Everyone's opinion is worth something here...

...especially RBR General regulars like yourself, Pierre.

I understand your views, and well I do not mean to debate anything, let me just attempt to clarify a couple points.

You CAN use the hybrid or threaded view options to get a "overview" of the conversation. No, it is not the same as before, but it may help some.

I notice that you do get less views on your ride reports, and I agree, I think the main reason is because they are 1 click away, not inline. I also understand your reasoning for making your ride reports that way (better control of the layout, easier to keep track of for posterity, etc...)

Sorry to hear that you will be spending less time here. My only advice is to give it a few days. I can't say enough, that I agree with everyone that the old threaded view was much easier to follow. But I have come to realize that there are way more advantages than disadvantages to the new system, and I have gotten used to it. It does take more than 1 day to get use to, so try and stick it out.

For your Classifieds search problem, the solution is to use the "advanced search" and "power search" options, that are link under the main search box. If you use "advanced search" be sure to select "ads must match" - "this exact phrase" or "all my keywords". Results will be much better.

Thanks for your feedback.

-gregg

Pierre said:
The main advantage in the forums was that it was possible to have an overview of a thread without opening all the messages. With the "php" format this is not possible any more.

I notice that people are lazy: when I post a ride report, I always post links to a webpage that I've built, instead of posting directly the pictures. Although it is only one click away for the user and I take time to make a nice page, fewer people look at it.

Here it is the same, less users are going to spend the energy exploring a thread to see what's inside. And I am definitely going to spend less time on rbr.com.

Similarly, I have always found the search in the classifieds crappy. And I am an experimented buyer, I bought 3 bikes on RBR, one drivetrain, shifters, pedals, and I forget plenty. Unlike ebay, the search doesn't return what you are looking for, but just looks at priorities that are given depending on the price you pay. Well, this makes me buy less and less on this forum, and I will NEVER again put any ad here. The only point I see in this system is precisely that nobody takes time to investigate the classifieds, so the good deals last a long time and I can find them.

Too bad my opinion isn't worth anything, anyway here it is.

Pierre

·
Tourist
989 Posts
Is it possible to have threaded version of the new forums ?

Or even better, a version where the user can choose if he wants to display titles only / threaded version ?

I agree with the improvements that you underlined above. I have been using 2 other forums (not biking ones :) ) that have this exact same interface. And when I think of it, I'll probably keep posting and looking, I learned tons of stuff here, in 2-3 years I probably learned enough to be a decent/good bike shop mechanic.

As for the classifieds, this is again the question of 'one click away'. I am at least as lazy and stupid as others, so 1- it took me some time to figure out how to use the advanced search to find what I want. 2- why would I bother with so many clicks where I am not sure that I will get the result I want, when at the same time ebay returns 100% what I asked for ?

Pierre

·
cyclist
7,904 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yes, be sure to use Threaded or Hybrid view as your default.

In the attached screenshot, you will see where to select Display Mode. Threaded provides the old style, but Hybrid is really the best option because it will allow you to follow the flow of conversation more like the old system.

And I agree with you, the "advanced search" function in the Classifieds really should be the default search. It is a good suggestion, and probably available in a newer version of the eClassifieds system. Our version is now a couple of years old.

Hope this helps.

-gregg

Pierre said:
Or even better, a version where the user can choose if he wants to display titles only / threaded version ?

I agree with the improvements that you underlined above. I have been using 2 other forums (not biking ones :) ) that have this exact same interface. And when I think of it, I'll probably keep posting and looking, I learned tons of stuff here, in 2-3 years I probably learned enough to be a decent/good bike shop mechanic.

As for the classifieds, this is again the question of 'one click away'. I am at least as lazy and stupid as others, so 1- it took me some time to figure out how to use the advanced search to find what I want. 2- why would I bother with so many clicks where I am not sure that I will get the result I want, when at the same time ebay returns 100% what I asked for ?

Pierre

·
Administrator
13,100 Posts

Coolhand

·
Registered
7,492 Posts
24 hours of suckery :(

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.