Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
27,566 Posts
It would seem to me, you'd want a stabile-tracking bike with relaxed head tube angle that would like to stay in line when you move laterally on the saddle--like your mountain bike! Stick 1.25 tires on it.

·
Registered
27,566 Posts
I have had open heart surgery recently and have a few issues with my balance. What type of bike should I buy. I currently have Cannondale mtn bike.
To add to Grog's comment, your balance problem will most likely go away in a couple of weeks. Has your body recovered from the surgery? Easy spinning is great for balance and is good for the heart.

Some days, I can barely walk a straight line! But I get on the bike and I'm a bird in flight. Relaxing for the effort is the key, like dancing or shooting hoops. Balance comes naturally.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
THank you for the I formation. I had the aortic valve replaced with. Mechanical just this past March 28. It has been a very painful experience but I am not fit enough to begin cycling again. I have been riding indoor bike while I rebuild my Cannondale.

·
Registered
27,566 Posts
THank you for the I formation. I had the aortic valve replaced with. Mechanical just this past March 28. It has been a very painful experience but I am not fit enough to begin cycling again. I have been riding indoor bike while I rebuild my Cannondale.
Well, then, you seem to be doing the right thing. I can only imagine the pain and anxiety recovering from heart surgery!

Stationary bikes are really boring, but you won't fall over! It would seem pedaling fast on the stationary bike would help balance also, inasmuch as it becomes a purposeful full body activity. The docs all say exercise is essential for recovery from traumas, like heart surgery. I guess the key would be not to overdo it.

If your heart's pumping like mad well beyond anaerobic threshold, that's when you'd lose your balance, right? I've done it myself and seen many others doing it in the local crits! I mean guys in the back just run out of gas and fall over!

·
Registered
9,228 Posts
Well, then, you seem to be doing the right thing. I can only imagine the pain and anxiety recovering from heart surgery!

Stationary bikes are really boring, but you won't fall over! It would seem pedaling fast on the stationary bike would help balance also, inasmuch as it becomes a purposeful full body activity. The docs all say exercise is essential for recovery from traumas, like heart surgery. I guess the key would be not to overdo it.

If your heart's pumping like mad well beyond anaerobic threshold, that's when you'd lose your balance, right? I've done it myself and seen many others doing it in the local crits! I mean guys in the back just run out of gas and fall over!
I guess you've never seen this...

·
Administrator
13,070 Posts
If you haven't already, check out Zwift to make the indoor cycling more interesting.

·
Russian Troll Farmer
3,824 Posts
You know, back when I had a fairly severe bout of vertigo, I could barely walk, yet I was just about fine riding a bike. I guess static balance and moving balance are separate things..

·
Registered
131 Posts
Stick some narrower slick tires on the Cannondale, ride that till you gain some fitness and get an OK from the heart doc to increase distance and effort. Then after many weeks, think about something more efficient and lighter.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts