Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 20 of 51 Posts

·
Registered
838 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It drives me crazy! Why are there waterbottles flying around in the group ride? Not just when the pack goes over the railroad tracks (when a lost bottle happens about once every 3-4 laps) but even on merely rough road. And THEN bikes start swerving. Are these people using some sort of defective bottle cage? I don't think they are just dropping them. I've been doing this Tuesday night ride for 5 years and my damn water bottle has never gone flying off my bike. WTF?

·
Registered
5,844 Posts
If water bottles are flying, either guys are using crappy cages or dropping them when they go for a drink. I quit using Ciussi cages because my bottles occasionally fell out, and I've never had them fall out of my Tacx Taos. If guys are dropping them when they drink, time to find a new group to ride with.

It is annoying and dangerous. I was on a large charity ride hanging onto the back of one of the front packs when some doofus dropped his bottle while taking a drink. Then the idiot hit his brakes and did a U-turn. He almost took down about 30 riders. This is one reason why I seldom do charity rides any more.

·
NeoRetroGrouch
6,493 Posts
litespeedchick said:
It drives me crazy! Why are there waterbottles flying around in the group ride? Not just when the pack goes over the railroad tracks (when a lost bottle happens about once every 3-4 laps) but even on merely rough road. And THEN bikes start swerving. Are these people using some sort of defective bottle cage? I don't think they are just dropping them. I've been doing this Tuesday night ride for 5 years and my damn water bottle has never gone flying off my bike. WTF?
With you 100% on this one. I cannot understand why it is acceptable to have cages that do not hold the bottles. Even the pros use these worthless cages..... oops, I guess I just answered my question. If it isn't hard to get your bottle out of its cage, please ride solo. - TF

·
Banned
608 Posts
It is surprising that no company has been sued. Some of the carbon stuff made mostly for its weight and its looks is total crap.

I use King tubular steel for my MTB, and King tubular titanium for my road bike. They never fail.

·
I ride in circles..
4,990 Posts
I have cheap black steel cages on my bike. They're light weight.. simple.. and I've never once had a problem with them. and.. I can slightly bend them to make them hold on better. Why so much fuss over a few grams?

·
Climbs like a sprinter...
6,976 Posts
I have a $4000 sub 16 pound bike (w/o pedals :)) and I use your basic $5 aluminum cages. All ya gotta do is bend 'em a little tighter whenever the bottle starts getting loose.

·
Registered
522 Posts
Minoura aluminum cages are lightweight and hold just fine. I have Elite Pataos and they have been fine too. I somewhat suspect it is because of the Polar bottles which don't deform very much. At the same neither of them is all that "good-looking" and I admit some desire for the Token TK948 cages which may not be as good but just look better - so far I have been resisting the pointless purchase.

·
Registered
1,055 Posts
TurboTurtle said:
What's going to hold the bottle in with any of these, magic? - TF
TT...Take the Taxc Tao out of there please....

Our household has 4 bikes with those cages mounted and not once, in 10000km's of riding, have I or my wife lost a bottle. I have dropped one bottle and that was my fault...At the end of a ride, tired and it slipped...

The beauty of the Tao is that bottles stay put, but they are a breeze to get bottle out of...

BTW we live in Hamilton Ontario and anyone from around here can attest to the quality of roads we have to ride on...

·
Failboat Captian
6,559 Posts
I have one of those Forte ones on the bottom left. It holds the bottle damn tight. Tighter than my alu cages, and I've never lost one out of the alu cages.

·
Registered
8,000 Posts
TurboTurtle said:
What's going to hold the bottle in with any of these, magic? - TF
I guess you never used any of these, right?

I have tried the Campy, Forte, Elite and Tacx (platic and CF) among the ones you showed. All held bottles fine. My ControlTech Carbon will hold bottles for MTB use as well. Oh, it weighs around 25g!

The tune cages that are 8-12g wold the Tacx bottles VERY well too.
Now I was selling soem 18g cages similar to the campy, but much thinner that just sucked! ANY little bump would launch a bottle. Those went in the garbage after one ride. My ControlTech cages NEVER laucnhed one yet.

Also Tacx is one of the Best.

The BEST cage @ 20g and $4 is the CatEye!

·
The Dropped 1
670 Posts
JohnnyTooBad said:
I have one of those Forte ones on the bottom left. It holds the bottle damn tight. Tighter than my alu cages, and I've never lost one out of the alu cages.
I have the Forte carbon cage (top right) and have never lost a bottle. I dropped one commuting to work one time. Then a car splattered it.

But, no bottles have ever "jumped" out over rough riding. Maybe the roads around here aren't rough enough?

·
Registered
33 Posts
I have the middle right forte cage on an MTB, never lost a bottle. I think most of this stuff is user error. I also can vouch for the Tacx, which my wife uses and works great for her, never dropped a bottle. In a group ride it must be annoying as hell avoiding the bottle itself, but a rider that does a u-turn to pick it up, well that's just dumb.

1 - 20 of 51 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.