Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 20 of 192 Posts

·
Registered
1,415 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
https://www.outsideonline.com/2149726/case-why-you-should-throw-you-rim-brakes-trash

TFA said:
Given the superior performance of discs, in five or ten years, I imagine we’ll all look back at bikes with rim brakes and scratch our heads over why there was ever a debate.
Yes, the article has a baiting headline, but I'm going to put my money where my mouth is this year and get a roadie with discs. The difference between the drama-free, one-finger braking with XTs on my MTB vs the death-grip, nerve-wracking wet weather braking with 5700s and Salmon KoolStops on my road bike is profound.

·
Banned
2,075 Posts
great thread idea.

can't believe no one else thought of it.

·
Registered
1,415 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Well, oval chainrings were played out. Also, I commuted on the road bike this morning and it reminded me how much the brakes sucked.

·
Registered
9,658 Posts
Roughly 60K miles since taking up the hobby as an adult and can't recall a single time I was in danger due to lack of braking.

So I'm all a set, thanks. But to introduce another new topic that never gets mentioned: What chain lube should I use if I switch to disc brakes? How about gearing....will a triple work with disc brakes?

·
Use my Apps :)
959 Posts
Anyone throwing out their rim brakes can throw them in my trash. The DA ones are the worst so I'll be sure to take care of getting rid of them for you.

Reactions: jetdog9

·
CX'er
863 Posts
I guess if you're talking about cantilever rim brakes, there were a few times I wish I had more braking power, always in the winter and usually in the snow/ice. There were far more times I wish there was more grip on the ground when I locked the wheel up in muddy, snowy, or slimy conditions.

I can only assume you mean hydro disc brakes when you say disc brakes because I'm largely unimpressed with mechanical disc brakes even though I use them on several bikes. Hydro are quite a bit more powerful without the lever going to the bar. I test rode a guys ultegra di2 hydro discs once and they were too grabby for me which actually caused me a time of avoiding discs but I think it was unique to his setup/ brake bleed.

·
Registered
873 Posts
Meh, I may get them someday.
Not that I feel like I need them, mostly becuase when I go to sell my bike I can sucker some noob into believing that they are a must have.

·
Registered
14,713 Posts

·
a real member's member
3,880 Posts
if i rode in the rain, i'd prefer disks too.

since i don't, i'm not missing anything.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Pinarello just released their latest version of the Dogma two weeks ago and it is not even available in a disc brake version. Just finished watching the Santos Tour Down Under. Didn't see any disc brakes there either.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
3,695 Posts
A magazine article promoting throwing out your existing bike and getting a new one. How refreshing. Bet they recommend throwing out 9 and 10 speed group sets as well. I'll be the judge of whether my bike is obsolete and not some magazine piece.

1 - 20 of 192 Posts