Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I wonder if it's true that Roubaix SWorks frame is almost 200g lighter than Tarmac SWorks (as Specialized pdf tells)....

·
Registered
48 Posts
oh yeah thats right. roubaix s-works is lighter than tarmac. now if its tarmac SL then it another story.

but just to tell you that my roubaix comp frame with headset and seat collar came in at around 1050 grams for size 52 when it still wasn't built.

now think the s-works is around 100 grams less for each size compared to the comp and pro and you get a pretty good idea.

·
Registered
90 Posts
I work at a lbs that sells specialized. The reason the sworks roubaix is lighter is because it is not as stiff, and less material on the bb. It also has a more relaxed geometry. between the tarmac and roubaix the handling and ride is like having a cadillac or a porsche.

·
Registered
48 Posts
jnims29 said:
I work at a lbs that sells specialized. The reason the sworks roubaix is lighter is because it is not as stiff, and less material on the bb. It also has a more relaxed geometry. between the tarmac and roubaix the handling and ride is like having a cadillac or a porsche.

Hi. i don't wanna disrespect you, but don't know where your taking that info. I mean I would agree with you if you compared it with the normal roubaix pro/comp. Those are less stiff ,but still stiffer than most bikes out there. I have a roubaix comp totally rebuilt with my parts and it handles razor sharp and its amazingly comfortable. best of both world. in the real world the stiffest is not always the best for someone. another reason why the roubaix is lighter is obvious when you put both frames side by side. the tarmac has much bigger tubes. its a beast. roubaix is more traditional euro shape. smaller tubes.

The s-works is a totally different beast here. The s-works was tested stiffer in both specific torsional and bb stiffness compared to the tarmac s-works. hell even the pro/comp are stiffer at the BB than the tarmac s-works.Those numbers come direct from specialized's mouth. If the frame is built well, less material doesn't always mean less stiffness. its all in how you build it and what type of carbon you use. the s-works is a race machine and not a cadilac like your saying. Its comfortable yes , but handles very well. I don't think gerolsteiner team would use them if they din't.

anyways thats my 2cents worth...

·
Registered
90 Posts
Also, the car analogy was a bit of an exaggeration. I am not knocking the roubaix at all. What it really comes down to is riding style and preference.

·
Registered
90 Posts
No problem at all, i was mostly comparing the two after riding them from our shop. The roubaix does have a longer wheelbase and i believe that adds to the comfort and slightly more relaxed handling compared to the tarmac. To me after riding the 2 bikes back to back the tarmac "felt" stiffer. Anyways they are both terrific bikes and you really couldn't go wrong with either of them.

·
Registered
22 Posts
The S-Works Roubaix is lighter than the S-Works Tarmac, and less stiff. The carbon that is used in the roubaix does not have the final protective coat on it that the tarmac does. I personally have ridden both, with the same wheels, etc.. and the Tarmac is stiffer in the bb. However, they are both great bikes, it just comes down to preferance. If I wanted a race bike I would take the Tarmac, which I have. If you want a great all around bike the roubaix is a fine choice.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
babyhuey77 said:
The S-Works Roubaix is lighter than the S-Works Tarmac, and less stiff. The carbon that is used in the roubaix does not have the final protective coat on it that the tarmac does. I personally have ridden both, with the same wheels, etc.. and the Tarmac is stiffer in the bb. However, they are both great bikes, it just comes down to preferance. If I wanted a race bike I would take the Tarmac, which I have. If you want a great all around bike the roubaix is a fine choice.
Could you notice the difference of weight?
Now I own an Allez Comp 2004, will I notice the difference?

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
ferrarista said:
.... another reason why the roubaix is lighter is obvious when you put both frames side by side. the tarmac has much bigger tubes. its a beast. roubaix is more traditional euro shape. smaller tubes.
Is there a really big difference in tubes diemeter?

·
Registered
90 Posts
Personally i couldn't tell a difference in weight, only handling and bb stiffnes. Compared to my bike('06 Allez elite) it was a huge difference in weight. However the s-works roubaix has an FSA K-force crank while the tarmac has a durace crank and the shimano crank felt stiffer to me.

The tarmac has very oddly shaped tubes, flat on the top of the toptube, oval shaped down tube, while the roubaix has round tubes.

·
Registered
22 Posts
The weight difference is negliable. Will you be able to tell? Probably, but there is more to it than that. The S-works roubaix has the S-works roubaix tire on it, which uses a tubular 25c casing, with a 23c tread. This is a true 290tpi tire and it is amazing. I have ridden tubualrs, clinchers, both high and low end. This tire ROCKS. It is amazingly supple and I would reccomend it to anyone. However, at $65 a pop I would not want to run it as an everday tire. I run armadillos because I would rather ride my bike than fix flats, and the roads in Arizona are glass and goathead littered.

Both of the bikes are nice, but so is your Allez. Just ride your bike and enjoy. The difference in your weight makes a greater difference than the bike. I have worked in and currently work in a shop part time. People are always obsessed with weight, and usually they are all bigger guys. I am a big guy, 6'3" and about 225, and my Sworks Tarmac with noce wheels weighs about 17.4lbs. Just ride your damn bike and enjoy it.

·
Registered
282 Posts
Stiffer & lighter

The SW Roubaix is both stiffer (both BB & torsionally) and lighter than the SW Tarmac. Ferrarista is also correct that the 2004/2005 Pro/Comp Roubaix is also stiffer than the SW Tarmac.

As for the SW Tarmac SL, it is the KING of stiffness -- as in the stiffest frame made.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
But, I don't understand, shouldn't be the Roubaix more on the comfy side?
You're telling us that the Roubaix is stiffer than the Tarmac... :eek:

·
Registered
282 Posts
scico said:
But, I don't understand, shouldn't be the Roubaix more on the comfy side?
You're telling us that the Roubaix is stiffer than the Tarmac... :eek:
The Roubaix is VERY comfy. That is the draw of carbon -- in the right hands (Specialized is the right hands), it can be many things at one time. Some lesser manufacturers have not perfected these many things and their bikes ride accordingly. It is also pretty much a necessity for the bike to be a monocoque to acheive this balance of stiffness and comfort.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts