Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello Guys,
I am looking for a good Road Wheelset in a value near USD 400.
i found a Mavic Ksyrium SSC (Used) in eBay for USD 460.00
i also found an interesting wheel, a 2013 "SPINERGY Xaero Lite" (New) for USD 449,00
And i am also looking at:
- Campagnolo Khamsin CX (new) - USD 360.00
- Shimano RS-30 (new) - USD 300.00
- SHIMANO ULTEGRA WH-6700 TL Tubeless Clincher (NEW) - USD 550.00

ANyone can help me here please ?
Thanks !

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
There is also this option if i want to spend a little more money:

2011 Mavic Ksyrium SL Superlight Clincher Wheelset Carbon Shimano
NEW - USD 800.00

The problem is that i weight 200lbs . I dont know which of these wheels will be resistent with 200lbs on it.

·
Registered
1,822 Posts
Those are all very bad choices for you. They're all excessively heavy, or low spoke count, or both. None will perform well for you.

Look for something 28/28 or even 32/32 spoke, with a normal hub and normal double butted spokes and a normal rim between 450-500g. They'll be faster and more durable.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Those are all very bad choices for you. They're all excessively heavy, or low spoke count, or both. None will perform well for you.

Look for something 28/28 or even 32/32 spoke, with a normal hub and normal double butted spokes and a normal rim between 450-500g. They'll be faster and more durable.
Thanks for the reply TomH, what do you suggest ? Any model or brand in mind ?

Thanks

·
Registered
1,231 Posts
I too was in the market for a set of wheels and did about 5 or so months of reading on them, I looked at a ton of brands but finally decided on Mavic. I was *this close* to pulling the trigger on a set of Mavic Kryrium SLS...then I stumbled on ROL wheels. Better pricing, great spokes (that you can buy easily unlike Mavic), great customer service...I landed up with the Race SL...and I'm not regretting it in the slightest. They make the Race in the SLR for heavier riders (I weigh 170)...it may be up your alley. A bit more than $500...but not that much more.

·
Registered
1,822 Posts
Im currently liking the hope pro3 hubs. Id build those 24/28 on kinlin 23mm wide rims with sapim races. bomb proof, and about ~1500-1600g. Still light.

Shimano hubs are SO smooth and so fast. Their geometry builds some of the stiffest wheels too. They're 32 hole only in your budget, but that'd build an amazing wheel set with most rims and come in around 1700-1800 grams. $200-500 depending on what you use.

Could probably do a white industry hub set on kinlins for that budget too. ~1400-1600g depending on rims and spokes.

Sorry its pretty vague, but you really do have TONS of drastically better options out there. Look beyond the proprietary factory wheels, especially at that price.

bikecyclewheelwarehouse.com has a lot of good options in your price range. Just for starters. Theres other builders out there too.

·
Registered
83 Posts

·
A wheelist
11,324 Posts
Here ya go eimart - well-tested wheels with non-proprietary spokes (meaning - easily obtained and sensibly priced) and replacement rims -

Pure Race wheels from BWW -

PURE Race

Choose your "build level" (spoke choice) and rim, hub, nipple and decal color.

From their page of body-weight related wheels -

Road 191 - 215

·
Registered
176 Posts
Cosmic Elite wheels:

Heavy, aero, proprietary spokes, rigid Mavic ride.

You seem to have the budget. How about HED Ardennes (stallion build)?

Do you really need aero wheel? In order to simplify things, maybe you can share your setup, and specify how you ride.

·
Registered
680 Posts
I'd try the Ultegras. They don't have a weight limit and though they are low spoke count, they have a heavier rim so thinking the low spoke count means they are not strong isn't exactly accurate. I've ridden them for 8+ months and I weigh 180 and have not even had to true them yet - still perfectly straight. And you would have the option to go tubeless with confidence knowing the rim was made for the tubeless bead.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Guys, whats the problem with the Stans 2013 Alpha 400 Team ?
They support 250lbs according to manufacter, and they weight 1520g .
Seems like a good option right ?

Thanks all !

·
Registered
1,822 Posts
Thats an insane price for those wheels. They're cheap, but decent asian sourced hubs marked up enormously. The rim is also pretty crazy expensive.

Buying the rims, hubs, and spokes at full price, I could build the same thing for ~450 in parts. They're charging you full retail plus 300 bucks to build them and slap a sticker on. Thats nuts.

Nothing against the budget asian hubs, as most of them are pretty decent. But when you price them higher than premium hubs something just doesnt make sense.

...they're also kinda heavy. Within a few grams of my 30mm kinlin build (~1540g), but my build was 250 bucks.

·
Online Wheel Builder
3,213 Posts
It would also give you the really terrible geometry of the T11! Their older hub would be much better, or nearly any other higher end 10s hub.
This issue is entirely over blown. On paper the T11 isn't as stiff as the H3 but I can feel no real world difference.
Campy hubs have had T11-esque DS spacing for a while now and it hasn't made wheels terrible!

1 - 20 of 37 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.