Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all.

I got a Specialized Allez recently and it came with descent Roval CL64 wheels. It's a wide rim and ETRO is 622x21. On specialized website it says 20.7 internal width and external is 29.9mm. It came with S-works 24mm tires stock. Overall, this combo have a nice profile, however, I'm thinking about bigger tire. How wide? Does anyone know, if 28mm is a good option? I don't want em wider then a rim (i.e. keep aero profile). How can I get a tire that's tall, but not too wide?

Vic

·
Banned Sock Puppet
14,658 Posts
Hi all.

I got a Specialized Allez recently and it came with descent Roval CL64 wheels. It's a wide rim and ETRO is 622x21. On specialized website it says 20.7 internal width and external is 29.9mm. It came with S-works 24mm tires stock. Overall, this combo have a nice profile, however, I'm thinking about bigger tire. How wide? Does anyone know, if 28mm is a good option?
As long as they will fit in your bike frame, this is a great option. Wider tires don't need as much pressure, so they will have a more comfortable ride.

I don't want em wider then a rim (i.e. keep aero profile). How can I get a tire that's tall, but not too wide?

Vic
Unlike car tires, there is no way to get a bike tire that is selectively taller. Wider tires are automatically taller. And unless you race or consistently ride over 30mph, you won't even notice the aero disadvantage.

·
Banned Sock Puppet
14,658 Posts
But tire will be a bit wider then rim? Do you think this still makes sense on high-profile wheels?
As I said, you won't notice any aero difference. The only thing you will notice is a less harsh ride. Keep in mind that the rider creates way, way more wind resistance than any tire can.

·
Banned Sock Puppet
14,658 Posts
A 28mm tire is a great option if it will fit in your frame. Tire size labels do not always match the measured size. The most recent 28 I used was a Hutchinson Sector 28mm. It measured almost 29mm wide on a rim of similar internal width.
This is true. And from what I have seen in many posts here, Continental tires seem to run larger than stated.

Also keep in mind that the same tires will measure wider on wider rims. The tires I use measure the advertised width of 28mm mounted on 15mm rims. They measure 29mm on my 17mm rims.

·
Registered
698 Posts
I have aluminum HED Ardennes+ rims. Those are 25.5mm outside, 20.7mm internal. They are tubeless compatible, so the beads snap into place, and need thumb pressure to pop loose when deflated. I think this is a good idea for running really narrow tires on wide rims, to help keep the bead from coming loose, since it's essentially pulling almost straight up.

23mm GP4000 measure 26mm. So I inflate the same as I would a 25-26mm tire: 80 to 85 psi front, 90-95 psi rear.
25mm GP4-season measure 29mm. I use 60 to 65 psi front, 75 to 80 psi rear.

I'm guessing that your 28mm tires would be somewhere around 32-34mm wide on your rims.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.