Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2,542 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently bought a powertap laced to a Hed Belgium C2 rim (23mm wide) and I must say on the descents they are awesome! I went down a local descent here that I have done many, many, many times on a variety of other rims (Stan's Alpha 340s, Reynolds DV3Ks, Easton EA90 TTs, Mavic CXP22s). I only had the C2 on the rear and was running my Stan's up front but man I was carving down those turns like no other! I was running the same tire as I was on my Stan's (Bontrager R3 23mm).

To all those about to drop the hater-aid: I'm not saying anything "scientific" that they actually provide more grip. I'm saying in they felt a LOT better which gave me the confidence to take corners I would otherwise have not leaned into that far.

·
Pitts Pilot
430 Posts
I felt the same way when I went from Ksyrium Elites to the C2. Now throw on some 25mm Michelin Pro 4's to experience descending nirvana! (That combo brings the tire to a measured 28mm, so not all frames have the clearance.)

·
Registered
9,666 Posts
I'm a big fan also. I have a set with Archetypes and another with Heds.

The closest I can come to a negative is I really need to find the sweet spot for air pressure. I'm generally not very anal about air pressure and with 19mm rims I could go plus/minus 15psi from what I thought was best and it wasn't much of an issue. With the 23mms, I really need to have my prefered PSI (90 for me) or they ain't right.
Not that I think pumping tires to a certain PSI any sort of issue.....just mentioning that nailing what's best for you and not straying to far seems to be more important with the wider rims.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.