Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Every ride is a race
569 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all. I'm in the process of shopping for some tubular rims that are pretty wide (and strong), for the application of cyclocross. I'm not looking for any sort of aero rim, though, because I want to use them for road riding in the spring, and aero rims will help me fly off the road more than I do already when a gust of wind comes. Any suggestions? Thanks.

·
Registered
3,444 Posts
Not sure I see the advantage of a wider rim for cross or with a tubular in general. The wider rim craze is partly being pushed by the idea that a clincher on a wider rim is more pinch flat resistant and has a more tubular-esque profile.

The pretty standard go-to tubular rims for cross are:
Mavic Reflex or similar older model
Kinlin TB-25
Velocity Escape
Ambrosio Montreal and Nemisis

The Reflex and Ambrosio stuff is probably the lowest profile.

·
Every ride is a race
569 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
krisdrum said:
Not sure I see the advantage of a wider rim for cross or with a tubular in general. The wider rim craze is partly being pushed by the idea that a clincher on a wider rim is more pinch flat resistant and has a more tubular-esque profile.

The pretty standard go-to tubular rims for cross are:
Mavic Reflex or similar older model
Kinlin TB-25
Velocity Escape
Ambrosio Montreal and Nemisis

The Reflex and Ambrosio stuff is probably the lowest profile.
Apparantly the wider rim is better for a bigger gluing surface, so a less likely of a chance to roll the tire off the rim. Listen to Todd Wells talk about it:
http://vimeo.com/9592464

·
Registered
3,444 Posts
Then you will need to fork over some big bucks, because to my knowledge, Zipp is the only one doing it on their 303s. Go to the cross forum, look up Zank's article on his tubular glue process. It was recently re-posted in a thread about cable routing. I haven't needed to do it yet, but word is you need to cut the tires off using this method. 99.9% of the cross racers out there on tubulars are using standard width road rims.

·
Cat 3 in TT, Cat 6 in Rd.
226 Posts
roseyscot said:
check out velocity's new tubular rim/wheelset called the major tom. it's a take off on their very nice a23 clincher rim and was made specifically for cx i think.

Seconded.

·
Registered
141 Posts
Get you some older Mavic Reflex SUP rims off of ebay. I got some for a great price, laced them up to Record hubs and am happy. They are about as wide as they get.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts