Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
3,221 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
If you are experiencing discomfort on the outside of one knee, I know width could be one contributing factor so for outer knee pain, would the correct adjustment be to have a wider stance on the pedal (meaning moving the cleat on the shoe to the inside of the shoe) or a narrower stance on the pedal (meaning moving the cleat on the shoe to the outside of the shoe). I believe what I have read says to 'increase' width to help remedy outer knee pain which would mean moving the cleat to the inside of the shoe - is this correct? I know there are many other issues that may contribute (saddle height and fore aft position), but right now I am just interested in width of stance with relation to OUTER knee discomfort.

I have also replaced some worn out wedges providing the thicker part on the inside of the shoe. Thanks!

·
Cycling induced anoesis
13,019 Posts
MCF said:
If you are experiencing discomfort on the outside of one knee, I know width could be one contributing factor so for outer knee pain, would the correct adjustment be to have a wider stance on the pedal (meaning moving the cleat on the shoe to the inside of the shoe) or a narrower stance on the pedal (meaning moving the cleat on the shoe to the outside of the shoe). I believe what I have read says to 'increase' width to help remedy outer knee pain which would mean moving the cleat to the inside of the shoe - is this correct? I know there are many other issues that may contribute (saddle height and fore aft position), but right now I am just interested in width of stance with relation to OUTER knee discomfort.

I have also replaced some worn out wedges providing the thicker part on the inside of the shoe. Thanks!
I think, neither. When I recently set up a new bike I experienced the opposite problem - pain on the inside of both knees. My remedy was to adjust the cleats (6 degree float, BTW) so the toes pointed out slightly (heels closer to crank arms) and the pain subsided, then went away. That given, I'd think your remedy would be to do the opposite. adjust the cleats so the toes point in slightly (heels further from crank arms).

Opinions vary, but if you aren't already using cleats with some float, you may want to give them a try. Also, IME fore/ aft saddle position has no effect on the knees. Saddle height (too high/ low) can, but not like you're experiencing.

You mention replacing worn out wedges. Did the knee discomfort start after that? Before? If before, then I'd suggest giving that change enough time before making another. If after, then they may be part of the cause.

·
Registered
3,221 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks....interesting, but the articles I have been reading say that if the pain is on the outside, the heal should not point out (away from cranks).....I have always been pigeon towed and have always had my cleats pointed such that my heals would be away from the crank arm, but due to this issue I have been slowly adjusting the cleat on the right shoe so that toes and heal point pretty much straight ahead using Quattro Pedals. Here is the article:

http://www.cptips.com/knee.htm

·
Registered
656 Posts
yeah i found that when my heel was floating outwards on my crankbros it was causing me more pain on the outside of my knee when pushing the higher gears. But then again I have ITBS. Nevertheless, try turning your heel inwards, and spin the lower gear. I can say with 95% confidence that it will work to help decrease any pain you may be having.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.