Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
482 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Currently have 25's on my bike that I want to ride at night. I could probably go up to 28 no problem on my frame. I notice on my fixed gear that with 32's I get a lot less deflection/more confidence running over the rough stuff. Considering the reduced visibility at night should I move up from my 25's or are they going to be fine? Just wondering what everyone else does.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
14,713 Posts
I think you have a good idea.

I have a suspension seatpost on the fixed-gear that I use to commute in the dark. Saved my *ss a few bruises. Since I got a better light (MagicShine) I don't hit as many potholes as before, but on rainy days I still can't see what's hiding under the puddles.
 

·
No Crybabies
Joined
·
11,684 Posts
yup

dwgranda said:
Currently have 25's on my bike that I want to ride at night. I could probably go up to 28 no problem on my frame. I notice on my fixed gear that with 32's I get a lot less deflection/more confidence running over the rough stuff. Considering the reduced visibility at night should I move up from my 25's or are they going to be fine? Just wondering what everyone else does.
I generally prefer skinny rock hard tires, but in the winter, riding 2-3 hours per day in the dark, I run 28 mm Conti Gatorskins. It's nice when running over things you didn't see.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
98 Posts
i switched to 25's at 105 psi this year,love it. I'm rebuilding my old roadbike on a cross frame,gifted mud 30's so far, i think i'm gonna go to Stan's cross tires they're 35mm. Doing shortcuts through the woods on a roadbike is awesome,also i can now do a couple of cindertrails that my normal roadbike is now to nice for. I have an isp giant, and with 25's on it the clearence is close and little rocks would definitely gouge the areas close to the tires in the fork and rear triangle.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
482 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
That's partially why I posed the question. I know 32's are much better in this regard than 25's. I bet 28's are better, but are they a big enough improvement over 25's to acutally feel more confident? I bought a couple of 28 gatorskins that they had at performance so I guess I'll see. So far I'm riding just before sunrise such that my lighting is still more for defensive purposes, but soon the days will be short enough.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
521 Posts
I run 32c Vittoria Randonneur with the reflective sidewalls, 85PSI and highly reflective safer for night riding.
 

·
Travels by Map
Joined
·
3,060 Posts
dwgranda said:
That's partially why I posed the question. I know 32's are much better in this regard than 25's. I bet 28's are better, but are they a big enough improvement over 25's to acutally feel more confident? I bought a couple of 28 gatorskins that they had at performance so I guess I'll see. So far I'm riding just before sunrise such that my lighting is still more for defensive purposes, but soon the days will be short enough.
It depends somewhat on the brand. One brand's 28 may be the same width as another brand's 25, or one brand's 28 may be as wide as the other brand's 32. Or they might both just be exactly right. There is definitely not consistency between brands. IRO Cycles has good pictures along with text from Sheldon Brown's site that shows an example: http://www.irocycle.com/phoenix_tires.html
 

·
Yo no fui.
Joined
·
8,081 Posts
nate said:
It depends somewhat on the brand. One brand's 28 may be the same width as another brand's 25, or one brand's 28 may be as wide as the other brand's 32. Or they might both just be exactly right. There is definitely not consistency between brands. IRO Cycles has good pictures along with text from Sheldon Brown's site that shows an example: http://www.irocycle.com/phoenix_tires.html
Always a very valid, and vey correct point to be made in there tire threads.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
7,288 Posts
I ride with just 23's on day or night and I'm not bothered by the width, if you have a good headlight you shouldn't be bothered either. When I say good I don't mean one of those $800 lights either, mine just a simple old 15 watt halogen that I bought for $79 (on sale for $48) that now for close to the same money you get a brighter 200 to 250 lumen LED.
 
1 - 14 of 14 Posts
Top