Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

On my bikes I have 46cm Deda 215's and Salsa Short&Shallows. The latter seem more like deep&tall to me, BTW. Like the 46cm Bell Laps much better on my road bike, but those are UCI-illegal.

I like riding the tops in technical sections. Love my Empella Frogleg levers. I come from an MTB background (still my main gig really).

So, I'd like to have bars with the very widest tops to be found in legal bars.

Any bars I should look into? If I can get short reach for the same money, that'd be great also, my cross bikes are a bit too long to be perfect for me. Swapping frames is not an option the coming years unfortuntely. And I know a trick to shorten reach a bit as well as slow down steering, more about that later.

Why knows any wide and legal bars?

Thanks a lot!!

J

·
Registered
148 Posts
Ritchey

The Ritchey bars have a wide top with a sharp bend out to the levers,with a fairly short reach and drop. Most have the anatomical bend,but you can get the WCS "Classic" that has a round bend.I find Ritchey bars fairly flexy,if you are a sprinter type or want to use the big ones,which are 46 C-C.They don't make all the styles that big,as some stop at 44 c-c.

I'm using Kestrel carbons now-they are shaped similar with a wide top,but have slightly longer reach and drop.

I resisted at first,but I think the 31.8 is a better idea for me,'cause I like stiff front ends.

dan

·
Registered
64 Posts
Bell Laps? - On One Bars (Mungo and/or Midge)

Why are the Salsa Bell Laps not UCI legal? Due to the flared drops?

I assume you are looking of "legal bars" - if not then I would suggest find a pair or Scott A2s or wide stoker bars.

The On One Mungo Bars ar listed as 51 cm wide and have practically no drop. The Midge bars have drop and flare out to 58 cms. I think they are both road bike legal. Here is a link:

http://www.on-one.co.uk/index.php?m...ser_op=view_page&PAGE_id=8&MMN_position=11:11

David K

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for that input guys.

Yes, I was aware of the On-One's, but they're too wide. UCI demands a bike to be narrower than 50cm, which IMO handicaps a big guy much like the <35mm tire rule does.
Not sure, but I acutally think the UCI outlaws anything tht it's a classic style road drop.

My Bell Laps are around 52cm wide indeed. 2x 3cm flare. I would rather have them 50cm and no flare. CX racing is much less about comfort to me than regular riding. I hate both the 0º and 90º bits on road drops, but for cross they're sortof handy now that rules dictate narrow bars.

Hmm, if only I could take the flare out of Midge...

·
Registered
635 Posts
Cloxxki said:
Thanks for that input guys.

Yes, I was aware of the On-One's, but they're too wide. UCI demands a bike to be narrower than 50cm, which IMO handicaps a big guy much like the <35mm tire rule does.
Not sure, but I acutally think the UCI outlaws anything tht it's a classic style road drop.

My Bell Laps are around 52cm wide indeed. 2x 3cm flare. I would rather have them 50cm and no flare. CX racing is much less about comfort to me than regular riding. I hate both the 0º and 90º bits on road drops, but for cross they're sortof handy now that rules dictate narrow bars.

Hmm, if only I could take the flare out of Midge...
I know rules are rules but do they ever even check this? I would think if you are on a big bike the wide bars wouldnt even stand out that much. Not sure how strict the UCI races are over there but I've never seen an official check this in the states. If Europe wont have you & your wide bars, jump on over the pond, we'll take you! :)

cheers,
DP

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
True. and maybe they won't even notice 36mm tubulars if I got them, although rumors on those do float around. In the road pack some riders actually did notice that I was wide to ride around with my Bell Laps.
The races I ride are typically of the very lowest local level, and SuperPrestiges. Little in between, oddly enough. I did see them weigh bikes before entering the starting grid a year ago at the Pijnacker WC. I can't start there though.
The BellLap I have is nice, but doesn't help me much as I don't ride the drops anywhere but loooong headwind straights, and the tops are just like a regular 46. If I could get a 50cm with sharps bend thus wide tops, I could get away with a much longer stems, as I'd just use thumbies and top levers, MTB style all the way :)

·
Registered
635 Posts
Cloxxki said:
True. and maybe they won't even notice 36mm tubulars if I got them, although rumors on those do float around. In the road pack some riders actually did notice that I was wide to ride around with my Bell Laps.
The races I ride are typically of the very lowest local level, and SuperPrestiges. Little in between, oddly enough. I did see them weigh bikes before entering the starting grid a year ago at the Pijnacker WC. I can't start there though.
The BellLap I have is nice, but doesn't help me much as I don't ride the drops anywhere but loooong headwind straights, and the tops are just like a regular 46. If I could get a 50cm with sharps bend thus wide tops, I could get away with a much longer stems, as I'd just use thumbies and top levers, MTB style all the way :)
I bet those road guys love riding behind you in the wind though. ;)

·
Registered
16 Posts
The only moment that there are people riding behind Cloxxki is when he gets overlapped, so that's not really an issue here.

Klok: since you hardly ever race anything close to a UCI race, why not ride what you like? Nobody ever inspects your material at the cat. B races that we do. Heck, they didn't inspect mine last year at the WC's and SP's. Tough luck I didn't bring my 5 kg bike..

·
Registered
148 Posts
drafting Cloxxki

I think you'd be about as well off riding alone.I've seen pictures of his setup and the bars are several feet below his saddle.

I really don't see how he makes so much power standing on his head....)))

dan

1 - 10 of 10 Posts