Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Adventure Seeker
5,115 Posts
I've been saying this for a few years now too. I think tires became narrow for weight savings, with the lightweight obsession. Higher pressure was necessary with those so they wouldn't pinch flat. But, as it's been said so many times, rolling resistance increases because the tire can't roll over the tiny bumps.
And I'm so excited about going tubeless too. I won't look back on my MTB, so why not road! Just need a better selection of tires still.

·
Registered
28 Posts
The bike I am looking to get has 700 X 25 tires on it even though most endurance bikes seem to be 700 x 28. Will the 25's be too narrow? Can I put 28's on the rim or does a wheel dictate the width of the tire?

·
Registered
9,658 Posts
The bike I am looking to get has 700 X 25 tires on it even though most endurance bikes seem to be 700 x 28. Will the 25's be too narrow? Can I put 28's on the rim or does a wheel dictate the width of the tire?
Any main stream road bike sold today will come with rims that accept 25 and 28 just fine.
Will 25's be to narrow for what? If you mean for you that depends on your weight, road surface and riding goals.
If you are buying a bike that comes with 25s and want to use 28 in the future you should make sure the frame/brakes/fork has enough room to fit them before buying.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts