Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 20 of 88 Posts

·
Registered
962 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So after years of being the guy with lumber jack legs in the peleton (usually earned me a little extra room btw), I have decided to start shaving my legs.

I shaved not because I was worried about road rash treatment or that my leg hair was interfering with my massages or that the leg hair was getting in the way of my embrocations.

I shaved because when I am on the bike I want to look down a see a set of finely tuned cycling weapons, not some sasquatch stumps. Shaving for me is a constant reminder of my commitment to my training.

And I explained all this to my wife... but she still hates it! I mean hates it bad. She has been angry for a week!

Her problem is that, "guys should have hairy legs." She says my silky smooth legs are too feminine looking.

One of her favorite lines is, "you wouldn't like it if I grew my leg hair out." True statement, but I don't really see how it relates. She is using that statement to establish the validity of the social standard of shaving being feminine.

Oh and then she tells me that I am using cycling to define myself. Apparently she has breezed over BKW when I left the browser open because she made a comment about being " "PRO" ". I tried to explain to her that it wasn't about wanting to be someone else, but merely emulating a style, much like she emulates the styles of celebrities. She doesn't want to be that celebrity but appreciates the aesthetics of their appearance and therefore tries to emulate their style.

Then she'll really tick me off by saying, "your not Lance, stop trying to be him." OK, I am NOT a Lance fan boy at all! He's just the only cyclist she can name. I mean the dude likes to wear black socks! I wouldn't be caught dead in black socks.

I would be so less pissed if she would say, "your not Jens!" because it would remind me that I am, in fact, not Jens Voit and therefore need to go out and train harder (hehehe).

Anyhow, what do I do? I don't plan on stopping shaving. Has anyone else gone through this with their SO?

·
Opus was just napping
21,673 Posts
Andrea138 said:
She's obviously a lesbian.
Hmmm...when I started shaving my legs Mrs. TMB just loved it--said it brought out her inner lesbian.

//alas that is as close as her inner lesbian gets to the surface.

·
corning my own beef
5,713 Posts
Five words:
"Honey, this isn't about you."

·
Registered
429 Posts
Keep shaving, but never let it come up as a topic of conversation. Either she'll get used to it, or it'll end in divorce! :D

DISCLAIMER: this is not real advice

·
Banned forever.....or not
24,427 Posts
It's a control thing, on her part.

·
corning my own beef
5,713 Posts
murbike said:
Sure, that will smooth things over and make her happy.

You're not married, are you?
Yeah, I am. And not everything I do is based solely on what will make her happy. Of course, that is reciprocated from her. And we're both OK with that. In fact, we wouldn't have it any other way.

·
Spicy Dumpling
9,721 Posts
My wife absolutely loves my shaved legs. But many of her friends can't even stand the thought of having their man with shaved legs.

It's always good to compromise, just shave one leg,

·
Failboat Captian
6,527 Posts
My wife also wouldn't go for shaved legs for the exact same reason. I like the fact that she's all woman and I'm all man. I also sort of like it when I school the shaved fan boys on my single speed with hairy legs, MTB shoes and MTB helmet. It reminds both sides of the schooling that image is nothing.

Stop shaving and live happily ever after.

·
Anti-Hero
10,343 Posts
I think a lot of the issue is that it's not "normal," so it makes her feel weird or self-conscious... what if her friends found out that her man shaves his legs and wears spandex??? They may talk about her behind her back.

If you really want shaved legs, she can deal with it.

Caveat: this advices comes from a woman who doesn't get along with most other women very well.

·
Registered
529 Posts
This thread is too funny.

Personally, I love my stubby little sasquatch stumps. They've never yet failed me, and they would no doubt get cold without their pelts!

·
Loves to Suffer
998 Posts
Well, tell your wife that it's not just cyclists that shave. When my brother in law saw my legs, I thought that I would never hear the end of it. He's a NASCAR fan ******* type. He said, to my astonishment "Yeah, football players, bodybuilders, swimmers, and lots of other athletes shave. No big deal."

My wife also hated it and made with the empty threats. I shaved, and she complained for a few days, and now she is fine. I keep my goatee for her , so the legs are my call.

·
Old enough to know better
720 Posts
D T B (for realz)

·
Old enough to know better
720 Posts
D T B (for realz)

1 - 20 of 88 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.