Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
960 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
his weekend we put my wife's A bike for this season together. It is a La Pierre X-Lite. The finish on this bike is very impressive and I think she is going to like it very much. It is amazing how much lighter it is than her previous Redline. (about 2.5lbs lighter!)

We were considering ways to drop just a bit more weight off of it, without compromising it's durability. It weighs 16lbs even as it sits right now. The build is as follows:

La Pierre X-Lite Frame, size 51
Ritchey WCS fork
Chris King Headset
Syntace F99, 105mm
Deda 215 tradition bend bars
Easton EC90 Seatpost
Selle Italia SLR saddle
Campy Chorus shifters
Campy Chorus UT crank; 170mm, 39T single ring w/chainguard, ceramic bearings
Campy Chorus 11-25 cassette
Campy Chorus rear der
Campy Record Ultra Narrow chain
Paul's Neo-retro front/touring canti rear brake
Eggbeater SL pedals
Various sets of wheels, pictured with Record Hubs laced to Velocity Escape tubulars, with Revos and blue alu nipples. Dugast Typhoon 32 tires.

Our first targets to drop weight are to either take the shifting mechanism out of the left front shifter, or get a Record brake only lever. Other thought would be to get soem Eggbeater 4Ti pedals. At her weight, they should be plenty durable and that could shed nearly 100 grams right there.

Another thing to be changes will be to re wrap the bars with Fizik white bar tape. Our shop was out of stock and we want to get this together before the order would come in.

Any other ideas or comments? I think it's a pretty solid build as it sits, but there is always room for improvement Smile

·
Registered
1,513 Posts
That is one..

sweet ride.. I've got three friends that have them. They've got them super pimped out with ti bolts etc and they are around your weight or a little less.. Like .5 lb, nothing major... One is using sram rival with the left shifter gutted and American Classic carbon tubulars.. The other Dura Ace with Ksyrium SL tubulars.. One thing I'd think about is a longer front cable hanger.. You can find them at cyclocrossworld.com or planetbike.com It will make your cable line up a little better and allow her to slam the stem if she wants..

Personally, that's the only thing I'd change, the cable hanger on the front. Looks sweet.. Remember, that things gotta be durable!

·
Registered
2,167 Posts
You'd have to drop some big coin to take off a few ounces from that build.
I use a USE seatpost and Ritchey alum bars that might be a little lighter than what you have...but we're talking grams here.
If your wife rides light and is easy on wheels...there are some good light wheels out there. Reynolds,Bontrager and Easton have some strong and light ( and expensive)stuff.But, if she's hard on the hoops...run it the way it is.

·
Registered
124 Posts
I agree with the others...

At this point, anything else is going to be pretty expensive, wheels are a good choice, and while you're at it, you could throw a record cassette on the race wheels. It's costly, but will drop some weight.

·
Registered
960 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for the comments guys. The King headset stays :) Wheels..... yea, we could save a little weight there. She has two sets of these (which come in just a hair over 1400 grams... certainly not heavy), two sets of Reflex rims, laced to Record hubs, and two sets of carbon fiber tubular wheels from a wheel sponsor. So, wheels are pretty much taken care of and spoken for. The CF wheels are all heavier than then other tubulars (~1500 grams), but are obviously much better for sand and mud courses. More wheels are better than one superlight set for CX racing.

We have Record cassettes I could put on there just for a sake of weighing it, but in the end Chorus makes more sense for a bike that gets raced in crappy conditions. Plus, with six wheel sets for her CX bike(s), Record cassettes are pretty cost prohibitive even at pro deal pricing. (plus my wheels need cassettes too!)

16lbs is still pretty freaking light, way lighter than my A bike! It's hard to break the weight weenie trend once you get started on it :) A set of 4Ti pedals is a decent idea though. She has a set on her MTB, so it would be just a matter of switching them over once the CX season rolls around. I think I'll pull the shifter guts out of the left ergo in the next couple days.... that's an easy fix.

Thanks again for the comments.

·
Registered
960 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
The Ritchey weighs around 450 grams... so not really much to loose there. Certainly not worth the cost of a new fork. I think we'll just put the 4Ti's on there, gut the left shifter, and call it good. That will put it in the 15.7lb range.

·
Registered
960 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
She's pretty decent for the semi-local area. We've only been riding bikes for 3 years total and racing for the last two. (she got 10th at Collegiate CX nationals last year in teh fronze hell hole)

This year she's gotten a LOT stronger, doing really well at the MTB races we've been able to hit this summer and good at road races this spring. So, she's pretty excited to see how CX season shakes out this year. We're going to be hitting several of the UCI races that are within reasonable driving distance in the midwest.

I'm a slug compared to her... :) But, we both enjoy riding and racing. It gives us something we can spend a lot of time doing together. I'm in grad school and she's in med school.... so our schedules can be pretty full at times. But, we gotta make room for the bikes ;)

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.