Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

1 - 20 of 157 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Word is that they are supposed to ship 30 frames to the U.S. in August. I deal with an out of state bike shop for Wilier (Uranium Bicycles in Moab, UT - speak to Marshall Hannum). I have bought Wilier from him in the past and he is excellent to deal with plus no state tax. He currently has my credit card and has a order pending - just timing and availability is still a little sketchy.

·
Banned
976 Posts
I almost bought the Cento. .

Ricksom said:
I see, I like, I want.

Anyone test ride one of these yet, or even own one??
I don't like like integrated seat posts so the Uno is not for me, I ended up buying a 2008 Le Roi. The geometry of the Cento just wouldn't work for me. I'm coming from a 52cm Colnago C50 and only the Le Roi (small) was the close match., and it's an amazing bike. This is my second Wilier.:thumbsup:

·
Team Tom's
1,880 Posts
I was reading about this bike in the latest Bicycling magazine and was awestruck by it's appearance... Definitely a sweet looking ride and they are being ridden in the TdF by Lampre. So they have to be a very nice bike.

Wish I had a local dealer.

·
Registered
1,815 Posts
QQUIKM3 said:
I don't like like integrated seat posts so the Uno is not for me, I ended up buying a 2008 Le Roi. The geometry of the Cento just wouldn't work for me. I'm coming from a 52cm Colnago C50 and only the Le Roi (small) was the close match., and it's an amazing bike. This is my second Wilier.:thumbsup:

One cool thing about the Uno is it is designed to support a standard 31.6 seatpost, if you prefer. All you do it cut off the seatmast and put on a collar. Cunego actually rode an Uno w/o a mast on at least part of the tour. Not that the Uno seemed to help him any...

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Sorry, I was away on vacation last week.....
Which geometry spec doesn't work for you? And what handling characteristics are you looking for in a bike?

·
Banned
976 Posts
Look at their geometry tables. .

Ricksom said:
Sorry, I was away on vacation last week.....
Which geometry spec doesn't work for you?
for both the Cento and the Le Roi, and it's the Le Roi that fits me best. Regardless, the Le Roi and the Cento are made of the exact three types of carbon fiber. Also, I don't like compact frames like the Cento and I prefer sloping geometry that the Le Roi has.

·
Registered
15 Posts
I spoke to my Wilier dealer today. He called his rep, who happened to just be getting off the phone with the factory in Italy. They are a little behind on the Cento uno and will not arriving to our shores until the beginning or middle of September. I can hardly wait!!

·
Registered
27 Posts
Cento Uno Availability

I talked to Marshall from Uranium Bicycles in Moab Utah today (9/30/2008). He just got back from Interbike in Vegas over the weekend where he had a chance to test ride the Le Roi and the new Cento Uno both with very favorable reviews. He said the first container shipment has just hit the States and should be heading towards customs as we are speaking. I should have my new frame in about two weeks. This will be my second Wiler purchase from Uranium. They are great to deal with and I don't have to pay sales tax which really helps. If you are still looking to order their number is 435-259-2928.

·
Registered
25 Posts
We brought one of the Cento Uno show bikes back from Interbike - Size Small with a Record 11 kit on it. It will be a demo bike here at Veloce Velo in Washington, and we will get around to removing the seat mast and putting a standard clamp and post on it soon. In the meantime it sits by our cash register begging us to ride it.
I rode one in a size medium at Interbike and was really impressed - smooth and stiff, just the way we all want it...
Call the shop at 425.391.7142 if interested. We love Wiliers and can sell them wherever you are...

·
Registered
74 Posts
How does the Cento Uno compare to the Colnago CX-1 on confort and vibration dumpening? Is it made in Italy or Taiwan, like the Colnago? The more reviews I read about both, the more I find difficult to choose!!!!!!!

·
Registered
27 Posts
I received my Cento Uno this past Tuesday. I had it rebuilt taking all the components from my 2008 Izoard which consists of Campy Record, Red Fulcrum Zero, Ritchey etc. Unfortunately it was a little cool this morning (40 in Tampa, FL) and I only abused myself for about 7 miles while I was underdressed. It is very responsive, snappy quick, stiff and all that good rot without sacrificing comfort. I hope to get in 70-80 miles tomorrow and will have a better feel of the bike then.

Photos's don't do it justice. The finish and design and both fab. I think the bike is a little further ahead on an evolutionary scale than the Colnago. I like the integrated seat post, the oversized bottom bracket (without the screw in spacer cups) and the rounded rear triangle (I used to have that bike on my old BMX - back in the day). I posted a photo to the best bikes of 2009 thread, but after I reduced the size, the quality got botched. I try to get some pics up soon.

·
Registered
41 Posts
nbrigato said:
I received my Cento Uno this past Tuesday.
It's beautiful... I assume it will look better in person.

Can you comment more on the ride ?

What size frame do you have ?

What are your thoughts on the Zero wheels. I have been looking at getting a Cento Uno built up with D-A 7900. I believe they come with Zero wheels, but the shop said I can swap for R-SYS for the same price. I haven't rode either Zero's or R-SYS, and am not sure how they compare. Personally, I would rather have a pair of aero clincher wheels. I have a rear Bontrager Aeolus with PT 2.4 hub, so I may just buy a front Aeolus wheel to match, and keep the Zero's as a spare pair for big hills.

·
Registered
27 Posts
The frame is a large. See their website for geometry. I'm 5'11" and it fits fine. It is my second Wilier as I have been riding the 2008 Izoard for the past year.

I'm not really versed at giving good reviews. I rode the same Cannondale for 17-18 years, then switched to the Izoard last year and the Cento 1 this year. Again, with the weather I'm lucky if I have 10 miles on the Cento. I like the Zeros, but again don't have a heck of a lot to compare them to. After a year they have been maintanence free / no issues and very stable in the turns.

Once I get in some sprint situations and climbs I will better understand the characteristics of the frame. Early on I can just say that it is very stiff without sacrificing comfort. My local mechanic thought it was the stiffest bike that he has been on.

·
Registered
27 Posts
I've got the "white" frame. It is featured in most of the press. The front triange is dominately white. The photo you listed is of the Cunego. I really like that color as well. I saw the 2008 Cento Cunego in person and it looked fabulous. I don't think the 2009 Uno in Cunego will be available in the states until February or March (those kind of things are always subject to change).

I rode an old Cannondale for years. Then rode the Wilier Izoard for about a year and now the Cento 1. When I bought the Izoard, I test rode about 4-5 bikes and I am always taking short rides on my buddies bikes which never feel right because of fit issues.

The bottom bracket is very stiff. If you get off of the bike, bring the pedal down to 6 o'clock, put one foot on the pedal and push, you can see just how stiff it is - not much flex.

The rear triangle is also very stiff, but it certainly feels smoother than the Izoard over rough terrain.

Overall I am pleased with all aspects of the bike. It has the design, looks and finish to make it a standout over any other bike on the market. It has excellent stiffness without sacrificing comfort. My local mechanic said it was the stiffest frame he has ever rode and he has raced for over 20 years. It draws attention and inspires me to ride. I also like the fact that it is still a pretty unique brand in my part of the world (FL).

·
Registered
41 Posts
Ricksom said:
I see, I like, I want.

Anyone test ride one of these yet, or even own one??

http://www.cento1.it/
I am about to buy one, but I need help picking a final color... I have seen the white/red frame in person and test rode the black (carbon) bike last month... I was seriously thinking of the white/red bike to purchase, but I am getting a bit tired of seeing it in all the reviews and internet sites... So, I am still considering the possibility of the Lampre or Cunego frames. Does anyone have actual photos, rather than the images from the various wilier webpages... I have seen the internet photos of the cunego and lampre from interbike and eurobike shows, but would love to see anyone's own photos to help make my final decision... The Lampre paint scheme seems to give the illusion that the tubes are straight,rather than curved and makes the frame look more conventional... The Cunego is nice, but perhaps not as nice as the 2008 Cunego paint scheme... Of course, there is also the world championship paint scheme to consider...

1 - 20 of 157 Posts