Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

1 - 20 of 115 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
If not, what are decent 17 wide alloy wheels 700c tubeless disc brake.

Seems like all wheels are now wider than 17.

·
Registered
450 Posts
Inner width? That’s pretty common. If so ur probably more limited by what your frame will fit.

I’ve got 19mm internal width and riding 38mm tires and could fit much bigger as long as the pressure is high enough it doesn’t fold over. The pressure would have to be pretty low such as when off-road

·
Registered
4,501 Posts
By fit, do you mean they will go on? Yes.
They will not be 25 mm tires any more, probably a little narrower.
The question is,
1. will they fit through the brake calipers without releasing? .... probably.
2. will they fit through the seat/chain stays? ...probably.

·
Registered
450 Posts
25mm are skinny. I think that’s what all the tour riders are riding these days and kinda the standard road tire. For sure will fit the rim n frame. I bet even 32s will fit the frame and no prob for the rim.

·
Registered
9 Posts
If not, what are decent 17 wide alloy wheels 700c tubeless disc brake.

Seems like all wheels are now wider than 17.
In Ye Olden Dayes of mt. bike 26" wheels and tires, we used lightweight 19mm wide rims with 2.5" tires at 25 psi. Never rolled a tire. So, yes a 25 or 28 or 32 mm tire will work on what is now a narrow rim.

·
Banned Sock Puppet
12,642 Posts
19mm rims with 25mm tires work just fine. No problems using this combo.

As stated above wider rims make your tire width effectively wider. So a tire that measures 25mm on a 15mm rim will probably measure around 27mm on a 19mm rim. As long as there is room between your chain stays, you're good to go.

Reactions: Mangusta

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
OK.

I ve read 25 tyres benefit from 17 inner rim or narrower.

But then most wheels now are 19c or wider. So what wheels do people buy for 25 tyres.

·
Banned Sock Puppet
12,642 Posts
OK.

I ve read 25 tyres benefit from 17 inner rim or narrower.

But then most wheels now are 19c or wider. So what wheels do people buy for 25 tyres.
It sounds like you're overanalyzing the issue. 25mm tires work well for both 17mm and 19mm rims. HED Belgium Pluses are 20.8mm and will work with 25mm tires.

Don't over think it.

·
Registered
4,501 Posts
If you are setting some kinda of world speed record around some corner, the size of the rim may come into some significance, at the very edge of traction and control.
.... Is that where you ride?

·
Registered
450 Posts

The rolling resistance of the 38mm panaracer tlc is more in common with a gatorskin tire.
In theory though shouldn’t a fatter tire have lower rolling resistance? The tlc does have some slight tread where road tires are slick.

·
Registered
450 Posts
But it isn’t a good comparison and the tlc will get down to 17 watts with “high pressure”, and the Grand Prix down to 15 watts. It all depends on air pressure, which then more so will skew the rolling resistance reality on a very rough road with an actual rider where a fatter tire will perform better.

·
Banned Sock Puppet
12,642 Posts
But it isn’t a good comparison and the tlc will get down to 17 watts with “high pressure”, and the Grand Prix down to 15 watts. It all depends on air pressure, which then more so will skew the rolling resistance reality on a very rough road with an actual rider where a fatter tire will perform better.
Do you really think you can feel a difference of 2W rolling resistance? How many watts rolling resistance do you think you would need to reduce in order to increase your average speed 1mph on a 40 mile ride?

1 - 20 of 115 Posts