Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

101 - 115 of 115 Posts

·
Registered
440 Posts
It's been my experience that I learn very little when I'm talking (writing).

If you'd like tutoring in high school physics, my rate is $100/hr.
im thinking i should be giving you lessons if you dont believe kinetic energy is being turned to potential as a bike goes over a jump. give your best explanation..if you dont ill assume youre wrong

·
Registered
21,434 Posts
I question that 100s of watts of momentum would be lost to heat from friction between the organs of a body when riding a rough surface. If you have evidence that hundreds of watts of what would be momentum are lost to friction between organs of the body post it.
Of course I don't "have evidence that hundreds of watts" is dissipated. That's because the only person throwing out such ridiculous numbers is you. Watts dissipated from rough road surface translated into vibration is in the 10s, not the 100s. And as you have repeatedly demonstrated, you have no idea of the physics here. As I noted early on, this is physics 101, which you either never took, flunked, or just plain don't remember. You're arguing from ignorance, and it shows.

·
Registered
440 Posts
Of course I don't "have evidence that hundreds of watts" is dissipated. That's because the only person throwing out such ridiculous numbers is you. Watts dissipated from rough road surface translated into vibration is in the 10s, not the 100s. And as you have repeatedly demonstrated, you have no idea of the physics here. As I noted early on, this is physics 101, which you either never took, flunked, or just plain don't remember. You're arguing from ignorance, and it shows.
Ignorance indeed and you obviously didn’t even read the studies posted. No I’m not the only one saying it and it’s what the study with the wattmeter and rumple strip showed.

Tig stepped up and gave his explanation of where he thinks the energy went which was interesting and related and showed he’s here for something.

Are you trying to tell me a bike going off a jump isn’t converting kinetic to potential energy?

Hear ye hear ye:
1.if you’re gunna get into a discussion about physics read what’s being talked about
2. If you don’t have an answer to the questions but want to just guess that’s great and beats claiming to know but not presenting anything.
3. That’s all that’s necessary if you want to be seen as productive

·
Registered
21,434 Posts
Ignorance indeed and you obviously didn’t even read the studies posted. No I’m not the only one saying it and it’s what the study with the wattmeter and rumple strip showed.

Tig stepped up and gave his explanation of where he thinks the energy went which was interesting and related and showed he’s here for something.

Are you trying to tell me a bike going off a jump isn’t converting kinetic to potential energy?

Hear ye hear ye:
1.if you’re gunna get into a discussion about physics read what’s being talked about
2. If you don’t have an answer to the questions but want to just guess that’s great and beats claiming to know but not presenting anything.
3. That’s all that’s necessary if you want to be seen as productive
I'm not guessing, and I have read a lot of literature on the topic. Beyond that, I actually understand the difference between kinetic energy and momentum and potential energy, which you obviously do not.

·
Registered
440 Posts
I'm not guessing, and I have read a lot of literature on the topic. Beyond that, I actually understand the difference between kinetic energy and momentum and potential energy, which you obviously do not.
dont just say how much you know...show it: will someone going off a jump convert much of their kinetic energy to potential?

maybe by now you got around to actually reading the study that was being talked about. You still claiming no one believes such ridiculousness as hundreds of watts can be lost to impedance other than me?

but you say you dont guess and have read LOTS on the subject, what were you reading? dying to get your insight. lets see if you post any.

·
Banned Sock Puppet
12,531 Posts

·
Banned Sock Puppet
12,531 Posts
i have a couple. why.. does it relate? what do you do for money?
I asked you first. You seem to profess to know a lot here and I was just curious if it applies to your career.

·
Registered
440 Posts
I asked you first. You seem to profess to know a lot here and I was just curious if it applies to your career.
what did i profess to know? if youre indirectly saying i dont know what i claim to..what would that be? i relate what ive read. I pick up as i go. i design and make electric motors and batteries and have my own biz related to those and also teach

·
Banned Sock Puppet
12,531 Posts
what did i profess to know? if youre indirectly saying i dont know what i claim to..what would that be? i relate what ive read. I pick up as i go. i design and make electric motors and batteries and have my own biz related to those and also teach
I did not say that, you did.

·
Registered
440 Posts
I did not say that, you did.
you ask questions and i answered them all...are you going to answer mine? but its ok i dont really care what you do for money and not related. i cant remember claiming to know anything above, maybe you will tell me.

dare to answer whether you think kinetic turns to potential when you go off a jump? or give a guess on where the hundreds of watts go when rolling over a rumble strip as shown in the posted experiment? show me i dont know what im talking about dont just claim it folks. if you dont...what does that show us.

·
Registered
21,434 Posts
you ask questions and i answered them all...are you going to answer mine? but its ok i dont really care what you do for money and not related. i cant remember claiming to know anything above, maybe you will tell me.

dare to answer whether you think kinetic turns to potential when you go off a jump? or give a guess on where the hundreds of watts go when rolling over a rumble strip as shown in the posted experiment? show me i dont know what im talking about dont just claim it folks. if you dont...what does that show us.
Potential energy is what an object has due to its height and mass above a reference point. Kinetic energy is half the mass of an object times the square of its speed. Your "going off a jump" example has nothing to do with converting kinetic energy into potential energy. The kinetic energy remains the same and the potential energy "appears" because the object is no longer "on the ground." Your apparent ignorance of fundamental physics is stunning.

The energy dissipation from a bike rolling over rumble strips (or any road surface roughness) essentially goes two places: 1) hysteresis losses from flexing the tire and tube and 2) vibration transmitted to the rider's body. Any energy lost to frame flex is minor in comparison. The vibration transmitted to the rider's body is converted to heat. You have yet to offer any other explanation of where the dissipated kinetic energy could possibly go. And while measurements of energy loss from hitting a rumble strips can offer insight because the numbers are so large (differences not so easily lost in the noise) this has little to do with the losses we experience in road riding, which are an order or magnitude (or more) smaller.

·
Registered
440 Posts
The kinetic energy remains the same and the potential energy "appears" because the object is no longer "on the ground." Your apparent ignorance of fundamental physics is stunning.

youre right it's seventh grade physics:
Kinetic and Potential Energy: Jumping Frogs by Science With Cindy (teacherspayteachers.com)
a body going off a jump is converting kinetic energy to gravitational potential as it goes higher, just as if going up stairs, and transferring back to kinetic as it returns to the ground.
Gravitational potential - Wikipedia

dont just say im ignorant...show it. cant you? so far its definitely looking to be the case as i described it and my links and looking confirm.

no i didnt offer any other options as to where the energy lost on a bicycle going over rumble strip goes and there's no hidden places other than presented in the paper: body and bike and tires. Did you bother to read about the hundreds of potential watts lost there or you still saying im wrong about that too?

101 - 115 of 115 Posts