Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My wife has a 9 SP Ultegra Specialized road bike that she likes a lot. I would like to give her lower gears on the cassette so I'm thinking of swapping the Ultegra 11-27 cassette and rear derailleur for an XT 11-34 cassette paired with an XT M772 9sp rear derailleur. My question is whether the XT stuff will work with the Ultegra brifters she already has on the front? Thanks.

·
Registered
3,394 Posts
My wife has a 9 SP Ultegra Specialized road bike that she likes a lot. I would like to give her lower gears on the cassette so I'm thinking of swapping the Ultegra 11-27 cassette and rear derailleur for an XT 11-34 cassette paired with an XT M772 9sp rear derailleur. My question is whether the XT stuff will work with the Ultegra brifters she already has on the front? Thanks.
As he said, it will work perfectly. I've done it on my wife's 9 speed bike - exact same rear cassette and RD change!. She's very happy with the gearing and can ride anywhere I can without any complaints whereas before she flat out wouldn't go on some rides because of the hills. (she doesn't stand up to pedal for some reason and therefore is limited to what she can do seated).

I'm tempted to do the same thing on my own 9 speed Ultegra commuter.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the comments guys. I thought I had written back earlier but apparently not. Camilo, my wife's situation is very much like yours. She really can't ride some of the steeper hills that I do and I think this will let her do so. She's enthusiastic about the change, so I'm looking forward to getting this done -- for both our sakes. Thanks again to both of you for the info.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks guys. I appreciate the input. I thought they would but thought I'd just check.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts