Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
896 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I race Cat 4 on a 3yr old Giant OCR 2. this year I upgraded the wheels to Bontrager Aeolus 5.0's. This bike is very cheap in the spectrum of racing bikes(the new wheels are the exception). I bought the wheels as I believe they are teh single biggest improvement I could make to the bike, plus they are easily put onto a new bike. The question is: is there any reason to believe that I would go faster on a much more expensive bike? weight, frame flex, etc. how much does it matter? I don't perceive that I am limited by this bike, but what does science say? for what its worth, I race mostly crits, and circuit races and weigh 186

·
waterproof*
41,745 Posts
+1. That's already a nice bike. And you are correct; wheels are the biggest improvement you could make. But no, a more expensive, newer, "nicer" bike won't go any faster.

Take the money you would have spent and use it for a local in-person coach, maybe a fitting session, and entry fees for more races. Those things will make you faster.

p.s. I've won 2 cat 4 races this year on a 15 year old cheap flexy steel frame with 32 spoke wheels and 8 speed Campy that barely even shifts. It's not about the bike.

·
Registered
896 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
thanks guys, that's about what I thought. the bike has been fitted properly and is very comfortable. I have crashed it 3 times in race over 3 years and apart from scuffed brake levers, no problem. I will also say that 2 of those crashes were on the Bontragers. in both cases the tires were ripped by the lateral force and there was not even the slightest impact to the trueness of the wheels. the stock wheels would definately have been taco'd. I like the bike. I just wanted to confirm that I was not hindering myself

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.