Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

· Registered
Joined
·
2,303 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
In my quest for a better non-numbing saddle I just purchased a Selle San marco Regal. So many pros and others uses it I figured it was worth a shot. Coming from a numbing Arione, this thing felt like I was sitting on a solid rock cruising through my neighborhood. Will that soften up or get better or is part of that the "appeal" of the Regal?

Thanks,

Zach
 

· Registered
Joined
·
3,863 Posts
Zach- the Regal will soften up a little. I put a new Regal on my old Colnago to replace an old Regal. Even though I had been riding with a Regal it felt hard. Give it a little time. The Regals are firm, but your butt should get used to them. Try to level it out or tilt the nose just a tad. You will also have to drop the height a little as the Regal sits up a little higher off the rails. Dropping the height will make a diff in comfort. Lot's of the pro's use them, but I think they are best suited for large guys. I like the Rolls better.

What happened to the Prolink?

I just got a new Arione and I'm having problems getting used to it, even though it replaced my old Arione Tri.
 

· Cannot bench own weight
Joined
·
4,298 Posts
I have Regals on three of my bikes, and I don't think they "break in" at all. I think they're pretty comfortable up to about 3 hours. After that they suck. I think the reason is the right-to-left profile has a pretty big arch to it, and if your sit bones are too wide then all the weight is pressed up into your "taint."
 
G

·
Qstick333 said:
In my quest for a better non-numbing saddle I just purchased a Selle San marco Regal. So many pros and others uses it I figured it was worth a shot. Coming from a numbing Arione, this thing felt like I was sitting on a solid rock cruising through my neighborhood. Will that soften up or get better or is part of that the "appeal" of the Regal?

Thanks,

Zach
No it will not, What it is is what it is.

It is a plastic shell covered with padding and leather.

Plastic shell saddles do not soften up. Your rear end gets used to them.
 

· Registered
Joined
·
2,303 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Dinosaur said:
Zach- the Regal will soften up a little. I put a new Regal on my old Colnago to replace an old Regal. Even though I had been riding with a Regal it felt hard. Give it a little time. The Regals are firm, but your butt should get used to them. Try to level it out or tilt the nose just a tad. You will also have to drop the height a little as the Regal sits up a little higher off the rails. Dropping the height will make a diff in comfort. Lot's of the pro's use them, but I think they are best suited for large guys. I like the Rolls better.

What happened to the Prolink?

I just got a new Arione and I'm having problems getting used to it, even though it replaced my old Arione Tri.

With the Prolink I discovered that cutouts, or at least those cutouts, are not for me. It felt like the entire area around the cutout was digging into me. I have it about a hundred miles or so through a few rides, but it clearly was not for me. I enjoyed (I think) the softer feel of the saddle, but the combination of sinking in along with the cutout made for a painful situation.

This saddle situation is really making the bike not fun for me at the moment. I have always been a little OCD about my setup, and changing a significant part of that is driving me mad. For example, I rode a century last year that left me (slightly embarrassing) impotent for about a week. The fear, anxiety, stress etc... of changing saddles drove me so crazy that it is only now that I am trying to do something about it, for fear of permanent damage (yes, I went to a Dr.) Part of the problem might be that due to a shoulder injury, I ride a fairly compact, upright position (only about 7mm of drop). I have no clue if this plays a role or not, but I have been through 2 pro fits that left me in the same position, so I feel like it must work...

I also tried a loaner Alliante, but felt the same pressure symptoms that the Arione gave me. The Regal was so damn hard that i don't know what my next move with that is, I suspect i will try it, but it will be begrudgingly ....

I'm taking all suggestions.......

Zach
 

· Looking for my Amish Love
Joined
·
948 Posts
Qstick333 said:
This saddle situation is really making the bike not fun for me at the moment. I have always been a little OCD about my setup, and changing a significant part of that is driving me mad. For example, I rode a century last year that left me (slightly embarrassing) impotent for about a week. The fear, anxiety, stress etc... of changing saddles drove me so crazy that it is only now that I am trying to do something about it, for fear of permanent damage (yes, I went to a Dr.) Part of the problem might be that due to a shoulder injury, I ride a fairly compact, upright position (only about 7mm of drop). I have no clue if this plays a role or not, but I have been through 2 pro fits that left me in the same position, so I feel like it must work...

Zach
Have you looked at the Selle SMP line? I had similar saddle problems of not getting comfortable & finally dropped the coin on a SMP Stratos. No more numbness no sore ass.
 

· Registered
Joined
·
2,303 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
capt_phun said:
Have you looked at the Selle SMP line? I had similar saddle problems of not getting comfortable & finally dropped the coin on a SMP Stratos. No more numbness no sore ass.

I did purchase and try a Composite model, although i cannot tell you why I choose that model and found it to be fairly uncomfortable. I believe most, if not all of that was due to the complete lack of any padding whatsoever. I just cannot bring myself to spend another 250 in the hope of getting it right with the padding etc..., although admittedly, I probably should...

Thanks for the response,

Zach
 

· Registered
Escorted from the White House
Joined
·
38,776 Posts
QStick-- Have you checked out Competitive Cyclist's saddle trial program?

http://www.competitivecyclist.com/road-bikes/demo-saddle

They ship you 11 saddles, and you try them out for a week. Think it costs something like $75 (not counting a saddle, if you buy one), but its prolly worth it if you're having a hard time nailing down a saddle that isn't going to kill your backside and other, more valuable parts. :yikes:


...
 

· Registered
Joined
·
41 Posts
longer rides

Einstruzende said:
I have Regals on three of my bikes, and I don't think they "break in" at all. I think they're pretty comfortable up to about 3 hours. After that they suck. I think the reason is the right-to-left profile has a pretty big arch to it, and if your sit bones are too wide then all the weight is pressed up into your "taint."
I found the same thing. I have ridden Regals for years, but on a 5 hour ride I will get numb in the taint. Regal is super comfy otherwise. I think since the back end tips up it pushes you forward a bit on the saddle.
 

· Registered
Joined
·
3,863 Posts
One that might work..

Qstick333 said:
With the Prolink I discovered that cutouts, or at least those cutouts, are not for me. It felt like the entire area around the cutout was digging into me. I have it about a hundred miles or so through a few rides, but it clearly was not for me. I enjoyed (I think) the softer feel of the saddle, but the combination of sinking in along with the cutout made for a painful situation.

This saddle situation is really making the bike not fun for me at the moment. I have always been a little OCD about my setup, and changing a significant part of that is driving me mad. For example, I rode a century last year that left me (slightly embarrassing) impotent for about a week. The fear, anxiety, stress etc... of changing saddles drove me so crazy that it is only now that I am trying to do something about it, for fear of permanent damage (yes, I went to a Dr.) Part of the problem might be that due to a shoulder injury, I ride a fairly compact, upright position (only about 7mm of drop). I have no clue if this plays a role or not, but I have been through 2 pro fits that left me in the same position, so I feel like it must work...

I also tried a loaner Alliante, but felt the same pressure symptoms that the Arione gave me. The Regal was so damn hard that i don't know what my next move with that is, I suspect i will try it, but it will be begrudgingly ....

I'm taking all suggestions.......

Zach
I just bought a new Arione and I'm having problems getting used to it. It replaced an old Arione Tri. The Tri model has more padding in the nose and is wider and deeper in that section of the shell. The Arione Tri was like riding on air for me. Only problem is that they are pricey. You might find one on Ebay.

I read a bunch of stuff on numbness. One saddle that worked for lot's of men with that problem is the Specialized Alias.

I go through rough periods with new saddles. Even my old Selle Italia Flite Gel was not that comfi when I first started using it.

You could always try a Brooks, they seem to work for folks that have tried everything else..

I know what you are going through, I had a heck of a time when I got back on my bike after I broke my hip. No fun...
 

· Registered
Joined
·
2,303 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Dinosaur said:
I just bought a new Arione and I'm having problems getting used to it. It replaced an old Arione Tri. The Tri model has more padding in the nose and is wider and deeper in that section of the shell. The Arione Tri was like riding on air for me. Only problem is that they are pricey. You might find one on Ebay.

I read a bunch of stuff on numbness. One saddle that worked for lot's of men with that problem is the Specialized Alias.

I go through rough periods with new saddles. Even my old Selle Italia Flite Gel was not that comfi when I first started using it.

You could always try a Brooks, they seem to work for folks that have tried everything else..

I know what you are going through, I had a heck of a time when I got back on my bike after I broke my hip. No fun...

Thanks for the tip on the Specialized saddle, I will definitely add it to the "short" list. I've thought about a Brooks before, but realistically, I am not willing to tension them, or deal with the leather conditioner etc...it just isn't going to happen. Since I realize that, I see no need to start with them.

I've thought about the Arione with the "Twin Flex" technology that is similar in shells to the Alliante, but if the standard Arione makes me somewhat impotent, I'm rather hesitant to try another in that line.

If I ever found a saddle that "was like floating on air", I would buy as many as possible immediately and store them. I've never had anything like that yet, and keep hoping that with each new saddle bolted on, it is right around the corner, but I am getting rather discouraged rather quickly. I wish my problem was something you could go to a fitter and have them solve it, but no such luck.....

Thanks again for the tips,

Zach
 

· Banned forever.....or not
Joined
·
24,573 Posts
Question: How may miles do you ride per year?
This will determine what sort of saddle you should ride. The choice of saddles (Squishy to rock hard) is often determined by how "seasoned" your rear is.
 

· Registered
Joined
·
2,303 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
MR_GRUMPY said:
Question: How may miles do you ride per year?
This will determine what sort of saddle you should ride. The choice of saddles (Squishy to rock hard) is often determined by how "seasoned" your rear is.

From late March through the end of October, I average 150 miles a week or so with some longer weeks coming at the end of fall when i try and do a few centuries. After that, through winter, I generally get a few hours a week on the trainer and that is about it, since freezing and the trainer both stink equally in my book.

Thanks for the reply,

Zach
 

· Registered
Joined
·
1,599 Posts
regal vs Turbo saddle

Dinosaur said:
Zach- the Regal will soften up a little. I put a new Regal on my old Colnago to replace an old Regal. Even though I had been riding with a Regal it felt hard. Give it a little time. The Regals are firm, but your butt should get used to them. Try to level it out or tilt the nose just a tad. You will also have to drop the height a little as the Regal sits up a little higher off the rails. Dropping the height will make a diff in comfort. Lot's of the pro's use them, but I think they are best suited for large guys. I like the Rolls better.

What happened to the Prolink?

I just got a new Arione and I'm having problems getting used to it, even though it replaced my old Arione Tri.
So Regal (&Rolls) stays as hard as Turbo?
 

· Registered
Escorted from the White House
Joined
·
38,776 Posts
steel515 said:
So Regal (&Rolls) stays as hard as Turbo?
I've tried both the Turbo and the Rolls. It was weird... the Turbo actually felt almost okay to me at first, but prolonged riding (several days of trying to 'get used it') revealed that it sucked (for me). The Rolls, I don't remember if it felt good or bad at first, but after prolonged riding, it felt great. Guess it's been around for decades for a reason.

Like most saddles, though, it was sensitive to how it was set up. My Rolls definitely felt best with the the nose very slightly below level. It's still my favorite saddle, and I've tried many.

...
 

· Registered
Joined
·
2,303 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Dinosaur said:
Have you tried a San Marco Concor Light? It works for cyclists who have problems with flat saddles...

I haven't tried that one yet, I've always heard it was better for small climbers than bigger guys. FWIW - I'm about 6'1 and 190 so I've avoided it to date. I'm just about over the Regal as another 40 miles this morning and the thing is just too hard for my tastes. I know that my ass should get used to it, but it isn't yet. I have an Aliante to try next, but who knows at this point.

I really have no idea if I am a flat or hammock saddle type of rider. The majority of my riding the past 4-5 years has been on the Arione. I loved the ability to slide around and get several positions, which leads me to believe I am a flat saddle fan, but it left me with non-functioning genitalia, which makes me think I am not a flat saddle guy?

I really wish this was the kind of thing a fitter could work out for me.....but no such luck,



Zach
 
1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top