Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 20 of 130 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
'Cause they're gonna look like even bigger asses than they are if they don't step up and give them an invite, pronto.

No need to bump an already invited team, they can merely add Astana to the roster.

What say you?

·
Registered
2,342 Posts
hllclmbr said:
'Cause they're gonna look like even bigger asses than they are if they don't step up and give them an invite, pronto.

No need to bump an already invited team, they can merely add Astana to the roster.

What say you?
no way. There's legitimate reasons to doubt them and ASO wants/needs a clean tour. lindsey <a href="http://boulderreport.bicycling.com/">suggested</a> in his blog today that if they made their in house testing public it might convince ASO they were clean and deserved a spot. Personally, I'd suggest replacing "the hog" as an overture as well. I don't think any of it's going to get them in though. too much smoke.

·
Registered
11,561 Posts
No, ASO will keep up the charade that they were not invited over doping issues rather than they were just the best choice to be excluded in the PT battle with the UCI because of doping issues. The fact that the Giro/Vuelta have let them back in is the bone they've thrown them since the PT has been effectively defeated for all intents and purposes.

·
Registered
960 Posts
So, How bad would the ASO look if Astana wins the Giro (contador) and the Vuelta (Kloden? Levi?) But this team wasn't even allowed to defend it's Tour win...???

Seems like that'd be a big slap in the face if they won the other Grand Tours this year...
And I'm sure Johan is hoping to do just that.

·
Cannot bench own weight
4,298 Posts
Sprocket - Matt said:
So, How bad would the ASO look if Astana wins the Giro (contador) and the Vuelta (Kloden? Levi?) But this team wasn't even allowed to defend it's Tour win...???

Seems like that'd be a big slap in the face if they won the other Grand Tours this year...
Only thing I'd change is the fact that the Vuelta will be dominated by Contador, barring injury. Unfortunately Kloeden and Leipheimer are going to be super domestiques again.

·
Registered
11,561 Posts
Sprocket - Matt said:

All that matters is if viewership declines, if it doesn't then ASO looks fine for what matters most to them which is the value of their product. And lets not forget, Astana didn't win the Tour last year, Contador was on Discovery, right? They've said if Contador was on another team he would be welcome.

·
Registered
960 Posts
Oops... Sorry, Right, Disco won last year...
And I just didn't wanna give Contador EVERY grand tour win...
I was hoping that their team would try to have another Top GC guy, but you're right, Levi has been domestique, and the only reason I mentioned Kloden was cause he dropped out of the Giro, which sometimes indicates "training" level at the Giro, Not yet on top form, right?

Still, I can see your point Dwayne, it's a product, and sponsorship dollars are the only measure by which success is being measured.... Sucks, but that's about the size of it, huh.

·
Registered
1,611 Posts

·
Registered
1,808 Posts
blackhat said:
no way. There's legitimate reasons to doubt them and ASO wants/needs a clean tour. lindsey <a href="http://boulderreport.bicycling.com/">suggested</a> in his blog today that if they made their in house testing public it might convince ASO they were clean and deserved a spot. Personally, I'd suggest replacing "the hog" as an overture as well. I don't think any of it's going to get them in though. too much smoke.
There's legitimate reasons to doubt everybody and one thing Bruyneel has always delivered is no failed tests, so if they want/need a clean tour, Astana is perhaps the safest choice. I also don't think ASO will let them in.

·
Lemur-ing
19,208 Posts
I think Astana might make their testing public to further convince the ASO etc.

Vuelta? Alberto for sure. Kloden and Levi will go till they get dropped by Contador and then, they'll work for him.

·
Lemur-ing
19,208 Posts
Sprocket - Matt said:

I still say they won't get an invite.

·
Back from the dead
20,800 Posts
The only way Astana gets a spot in the Tour is if, by some massive stroke of misfortune, most of the invited teams are forced to withdraw for some reason or another, and there aren't enough second-tier teams to fill the spots. Even then, given a choice between inviting Astana and drafting Bernard Hinault to head an ad hoc team of former French all stars, ASO will lean towards Hinault.

·
Registered
2,342 Posts
Sprocket - Matt said:

I don't think they see it quite the same as you. <a href="http://www.belgiumkneewarmers.com/2008/05/justice-aso-style.html">BKW</a> has what's probably the correct take, at least in terms of perception-by winning, festana continues to lose.

·
Mountain biker
315 Posts
hllclmbr said:

What say you?
I say ASO holds their ground and does NOT invite Astana. They've explained why they are excluding the team, they were stung two years in a row by this team. First with Liberty Seguros Wurth (Operacion Puerto 2006) and then the restructured version of the same team renamed Astana (Vino fails a test during the race 2007). I think they've got a legit case of so what if you've restructured, you supposedly did that between Liberty Seguros and Astana. Show us that you can make it a whole season w/o issues and we'll reconsider you.

I say Contador wins the Vuelta this year and becomes the youngest to win all 3 GT's and the also does it in the shortest time span. He has already said that he is less frustrated about the TdF snub now that he has this opportunity in front of him.
http://velonews.com/article/77008/contador-eyes-grand-tour-sweep-with-vuelta

·
Registered
5,671 Posts
So why does Rabobank get in? The Chicken should not have been allowed to start (Rabobank violated the rules there), Menchov and other Rabobank riders are implicated in a doping scandal (the Vienna clinic), but still get a pass. Maybe it has something to do with the tour needing Dutch support (although the French apparently hate Dutch tourists since they travel in campers bring their own supplies and don't spend money)....

·
Mountain biker
315 Posts
stevesbike said:
So why does Rabobank get in? The Chicken should not have been allowed to start (Rabobank violated the rules there), Menchov and other Rabobank riders are implicated in a doping scandal (the Vienna clinic), but still get a pass. Maybe it has something to do with the tour needing Dutch support (although the French apparently hate Dutch tourists since they travel in campers bring their own supplies and don't spend money)....
Good point. I'm not familiar with the Vienna clinic incident, the Chicken did somehow start even though the rules says he shouldn't have. I would say the major factor for Rabobank in and Astana out is that Vino failed a test during the Tour last year. While any confirmed failed test at any time during a year is taken into account, a failed test during the Tour de France embarrasses Christian more.

·
Registered
41 Posts
hllclmbr said:

What say you?
Contador has already said he won't ride the Tour, so there's no way Astana's getting an invitation.

1 - 20 of 130 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.