Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Soon to be banned
Joined
·
14,475 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Did anyone catch his Nike commercial where he's sitting talkin' about "not getting any medals?" It was strange. Could it be an omen?
 

·
Soon to be banned
Joined
·
14,475 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
mohair_chair said:
You mean like this?
LOL! What the hell is that???

Umm... Well, Celizic also thinks Bode's blown potential greatness in his article. I think he nailed Bode's issues on the head. Damn, I didn't know he's had 5 DQs in his last 5 slalom races. :rolleyes:

No question Bode's a great skiier, but they don't just hand out gold medals for showing up.
 

·
gazing from the shadows
Joined
·
27,209 Posts
spyderman said:
Did anyone catch his Nike commercial where he's sitting talkin' about "not getting any medals?" It was strange. Could it be an omen?
I did not pay much attention to that commercial, but I thought he was talking about doing VERY WELL, the best you can, and still coming up short, and being ok with that. Sometimes you lose, and sometimes you get beat when the other guy is better, and so long as he feels good about what he did, he can live with himself.

Not a bad sentiment. Better sentiment with gold around his neck, for sure, but not a bad sentiment.
 

·
Soon to be banned
Joined
·
14,475 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
dr hoo said:
I did not pay much attention to that commercial, but I thought he was talking about doing VERY WELL, the best you can, and still coming up short, and being ok with that. Sometimes you lose, and sometimes you get beat when the other guy is better, and so long as he feels good about what he did, he can live with himself.

Not a bad sentiment. Better sentiment with gold around his neck, for sure, but not a bad sentiment.
Yeah, that commercial was pretty weak. It just doesn't grab you. It'll be sad if it becomes a self-fulfilling prophecy.

His bad boy persona is sure gonna look lame without any Torino bling bling. :eek:
 

·
gazing from the shadows
Joined
·
27,209 Posts
He is the ultimate child of hippies. His motivation is internal, not external. I really think he does not care what others think of him and his performance, so long as he is happy with what he did himself. So even if he is blanked, it is not going to tear him up inside.

I do think he is skiing well enough to win. Fast and tight. Whether he does or not is up in the air, but he is "in good form" as the phrase would go in the cycling world.
 

·
Roadies Rejoice
Joined
·
975 Posts
spyderman said:
LOL! What the hell is that???

Umm... Well, Celizic also thinks Bode's blown potential greatness in his article. I think he nailed Bode's issues on the head. Damn, I didn't know he's had 5 DQs in his last 5 slalom races. :rolleyes:

No question Bode's a great skiier, but they don't just hand out gold medals for showing up.
Articles like that make me laugh. Celizic's credibility is zero with respect to how Miller trains. Two weeks ago Celizic was writing about the SuperBowl and the NFL, before that he probably couldn't tell a snowboard from a pair of skis, now he's an expert on Miller's training? How many days of the last year was he with Miller to now speak of how he trained? That article is less than useless.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
6,387 Posts
It's possible...

dr hoo said:
He is the ultimate child of hippies. His motivation is internal, not external. I really think he does not care what others think of him and his performance, so long as he is happy with what he did himself. So even if he is blanked, it is not going to tear him up inside.

I do think he is skiing well enough to win. Fast and tight. Whether he does or not is up in the air, but he is "in good form" as the phrase would go in the cycling world.
It's possible he could come away empty handed this Olympics, and mostly it's because of the way he skis. He tends to run fast, very fast, and sits back on the tails of the skis a lot more than most, which is very fast, but fairly unpredictable at times, and hard to control. Look at Benjamin Reich's style compared to Millers. Raich is upright, standing tall, Miller is wayyyyy back, and it looks like he's flailing and on the edge of control, which he is, but which is also fast. He takes big chances to go fast, and lots of times, be blows out of courses and doesn't finish. This is nothing new with Miller, it's just that a lot of people who are now covering the sport don't know jack about it, because as someone else said before, a week ago they were covering football, and now they're tossed skiing. I remember hearing one paper sent their leisure editor to cover the skiing at the Olympics, because, hey, it doesn't have a ball, must not be a real sport right?

Anyway, for a better analysis of what is going on with the entire ski world at the olympics (and snowboarding team as well), check out this website:

www.skiracing.com

You'll get more information and better information there than from the "regular" sports writers. Equate it to what used to happen every year when the Tour would come around, and the sports writers would come out of the woodwork saying how cycling is not a sport, and Armstrong wasn't an athlete, they bring the same sort of ignorance to skiing, they just don't know about it.
 

·
Roadies Rejoice
Joined
·
975 Posts
magnolialover said:
It's possible he could come away empty handed this Olympics, and mostly it's because of the way he skis. He tends to run fast, very fast, and sits back on the tails of the skis a lot more than most, which is very fast, but fairly unpredictable at times, and hard to control. Look at Benjamin Reich's style compared to Millers. Raich is upright, standing tall, Miller is wayyyyy back, and it looks like he's flailing and on the edge of control, which he is, but which is also fast. He takes big chances to go fast, and lots of times, be blows out of courses and doesn't finish. This is nothing new with Miller, it's just that a lot of people who are now covering the sport don't know jack about it, because as someone else said before, a week ago they were covering football, and now they're tossed skiing. I remember hearing one paper sent their leisure editor to cover the skiing at the Olympics, because, hey, it doesn't have a ball, must not be a real sport right?

Anyway, for a better analysis of what is going on with the entire ski world at the olympics (and snowboarding team as well), check out this website:

www.skiracing.com

You'll get more information and better information there than from the "regular" sports writers. Equate it to what used to happen every year when the Tour would come around, and the sports writers would come out of the woodwork saying how cycling is not a sport, and Armstrong wasn't an athlete, they bring the same sort of ignorance to skiing, they just don't know about it.
If he had missed that gate by two feet, and lost by .001 sec, people on this site (and in the media like Celizic) would probably be criticizing him for not being aggressive enough in his skiing.
 

·
Soon to be banned
Joined
·
14,475 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
magnolialover said:
It's possible he could come away empty handed this Olympics, and mostly it's because of the way he skis. He tends to run fast, very fast, and sits back on the tails of the skis a lot more than most, which is very fast, but fairly unpredictable at times, and hard to control. Look at Benjamin Reich's style compared to Millers. Raich is upright, standing tall, Miller is wayyyyy back, and it looks like he's flailing and on the edge of control, which he is, but which is also fast. He takes big chances to go fast, and lots of times, be blows out of courses and doesn't finish. This is nothing new with Miller, it's just that a lot of people who are now covering the sport don't know jack about it, because as someone else said before, a week ago they were covering football, and now they're tossed skiing. I remember hearing one paper sent their leisure editor to cover the skiing at the Olympics, because, hey, it doesn't have a ball, must not be a real sport right?

Anyway, for a better analysis of what is going on with the entire ski world at the olympics (and snowboarding team as well), check out this website:

www.skiracing.com

You'll get more information and better information there than from the "regular" sports writers. Equate it to what used to happen every year when the Tour would come around, and the sports writers would come out of the woodwork saying how cycling is not a sport, and Armstrong wasn't an athlete, they bring the same sort of ignorance to skiing, they just don't know about it.
Gary Black certainly rips the media for rippin' the team. But, as an outsider, Celizic's article certainly made some good points. It's easy to say 'What does he know? He doesn't eat snow for b'fast, lunch, and dinner...' But the proof is in the results.

Bode made himself a target, and that target gets bigger and bigger the longer he takes to medal. It sells papers and the media loves to tear down winners. Bode threw them red meat.

I certainly hope he silences his critics...but the pressure is on.
 

·
Roadies Rejoice
Joined
·
975 Posts
spyderman said:
But the proof is in the results.
I think the truth is that the proof isn't necessarily in the results. The point I and, I think, magnolia were making above is that there is no "proof" regarding lack of preparation, which is what seems to be the key critisim here.

Miller's style seems to lend itself to all or nothing, he missed a gate, he gets nothing, but for me at least he was "on it" the whole way. I'd much rather watch the guy who goes all out and fails than the guy who plays it safe and wins when all his rivals crash or get DQ'ed.
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
2,834 Posts
spyderman said:
but the pressure is on.
Not for Bode it's not. He dosen't care if he wins, it's like most people don't seem to realize this, he says he dosen't care, and he just wants to have fun, somehow I think this is why so many people have a hard time with him, it has nothing to do with the fact he's so cocky, it's becuase he says he dosen't care if he wins. Well if you say you don't care, and you really don't care, then the pressure really isn't on if you don't win, now is it?
 

·
Soon to be banned
Joined
·
14,475 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
SteveCnj said:
I think the truth is that the proof isn't necessarily in the results. The point I and, I think, magnolia were making above is that there is no "proof" regarding lack of preparation, which is what seems to be the key critisim here.

Miller's style seems to lend itself to all or nothing, he missed a gate, he gets nothing, but for me at least he was "on it" the whole way. I'd much rather watch the guy who goes all out and fails than the guy who plays it safe and wins when all his rivals crash or get DQ'ed.
I agree, Bode was on it. If he didn't miss that gate he probably woulda won. But it begs the question, how do you DQ the slaloms 6 times in a row? Perhaps it's not his race?

So, you think Ligety played it safe? I thought he threw down. Hell, he made up 3+ secs on the slalom with olympic pressure on. If Raich didn't screw up Ligety probably gets silver. Gotta make it through all the gates in the olympics.

So, what are they callin' Vernon Valley these days?
 

·
Roadies Rejoice
Joined
·
975 Posts
spyderman said:
I agree, Bode was on it. If he didn't miss that gate he probably woulda won. But it begs the question, how do you DQ the slaloms 6 times in a row? Perhaps it's not his race?

So, you think Ligety played it safe? I thought he threw down. Hell, he made up 3+ secs on the slalom with olympic pressure on. If Raich didn't screw up Ligety probably gets silver. Gotta make it through all the gates in the olympics.

So, what are they callin' Vernon Valley these days?
Maybe you're right that getting DQ'ed 6 times is more than a coincidence, but maybe it's not for lack of preparation either. Ligety definetly wasn't playing it safe. All I'm saying is that a mistake in an athletic competition is not necessarily indicative of poor prepartion.

Vernon Valley is now known as Mountain Creek. I've only skied there once, many years ago. I hear it gets overrun with noobs and people who don't know what they are doing or lack common courtesy, and that therefore it is a pretty dangerous place to ski. If you can get out during the week it's probably not to bad, but I wouldn't go there on a weekend ever.
 

·
It's all ball bearings
Joined
·
5,258 Posts
dr hoo said:
He is the ultimate child of hippies. His motivation is internal, not external. I really think he does not care what others think of him and his performance, so long as he is happy with what he did himself. So even if he is blanked, it is not going to tear him up inside.

I do think he is skiing well enough to win. Fast and tight. Whether he does or not is up in the air, but he is "in good form" as the phrase would go in the cycling world.
That's exactly right, hoo. Unfortunately, most people just can't compute this...that someone can be this way and still be an Olympic athlete. I raced against Bode, many many years ago (we are the same age and grew up ski racing near each other). I literally grew up with skis on my feet, later went to a well known ski racing school (Burke Mtn Academy), and was pushed through all the molds to be a champion ski racer when I was young. Bode was not. He has become an Olympic champ and one of the greatest ski racers of all time. I haven't. This should tell you something about his drive as a person and as an athlete. Those who don't know the life that Bode came from and talk crap about his "over-hyped talent" or unorthodox nature are foolish. As I said in the other thread, absurd. I'm trying really hard not to get started on a real rant about this, so I wont.

Congratulations to Ligety, I am unbelievably happy that he came away champ in the combined. His parents must be the proudest in the world.
 

·
Back from the dead
Joined
·
20,626 Posts
kpcw said:
Wow. Mr. Bode, if this is accurate (and my source is 100% reliable) then you sound more and more like a pr*ck.
I have no opinion on what he sounds like, but I do know what you sound more and more like.
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
2,834 Posts
kpcw said:
One of my friends is from Italy, lives in the US and watches the International News only. I just asked her about Bode and Italy/the Olympics.

She: You did not hear?
Me: No, what?
She: When Mr. Bode arrived for the games he was stopped in the airport, it is post 9/11 and such. When he was stopped and his bags were searched he yelled at the inspector, "GET YOUR EFFIN HANDS OFF MY STUFF."
Me: Wow, never heard about it.
She: It was not covered, only the International News and when he erupted with arrogance, there were 4 armed Italian soldiers with weapons pointed at his head. He finally calmed down.


Wow. Mr. Bode, if this is accurate (and my source is 100% reliable) then you sound more and more like a pr*ck.
Odd, I just searched google news for this, and nothing came up. I'm sure if it were real, it would be out there somewhere. So, if you can find it, post it up. I can read german and italian, so German or Italian sources would be fine.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
727 Posts
if there is any god, bode miller will lose all his events, maybe break some bones, then return to the U.S. where he will promptly get deported to afghanistan.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
6,387 Posts
Where at?

BenWA said:
That's exactly right, hoo. Unfortunately, most people just can't compute this...that someone can be this way and still be an Olympic athlete. I raced against Bode, many many years ago (we are the same age and grew up ski racing near each other). I literally grew up with skis on my feet, later went to a well known ski racing school (Burke Mtn Academy), and was pushed through all the molds to be a champion ski racer when I was young. Bode was not. He has become an Olympic champ and one of the greatest ski racers of all time. I haven't. This should tell you something about his drive as a person and as an athlete. Those who don't know the life that Bode came from and talk crap about his "over-hyped talent" or unorthodox nature are foolish. As I said in the other thread, absurd. I'm trying really hard not to get started on a real rant about this, so I wont.

Congratulations to Ligety, I am unbelievably happy that he came away champ in the combined. His parents must be the proudest in the world.
I take it you're from around Maine/NH way. Where did you ski in the earlier years before heading to Burke Mountain Academy?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
6,387 Posts
Pay close attention...

kpcw said:
One of my friends is from Italy, lives in the US and watches the International News only. I just asked her about Bode and Italy/the Olympics.

She: You did not hear?
Me: No, what?
She: When Mr. Bode arrived for the games he was stopped in the airport, it is post 9/11 and such. When he was stopped and his bags were searched he yelled at the inspector, "GET YOUR EFFIN HANDS OFF MY STUFF."
Me: Wow, never heard about it.
She: It was not covered, only the International News and when he erupted with arrogance, there were 4 armed Italian soldiers with weapons pointed at his head. He finally calmed down.


Wow. Mr. Bode, if this is accurate (and my source is 100% reliable) then you sound more and more like a pr*ck.
Bode Miller has been in Europe since the start of the World Cup ski racing season living out of his outrageously large RV and driving from race to race. He did not fly into the games, he drove there, and this essentially proves that indeed your story is all made up. There's a reason why this was not covered anywhere, it's because it never happened. The week before the Olympics Miller took the weekend off from racing, hung out with his younger brother (who was almost killed in a motorcycle wreck), and then drove to Italy for the Olympic Games. So where are you getting your information from? Hard to get his stuff searched at an airport that he was never at isn't it?
 
1 - 20 of 39 Posts
Top