Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Because i am lazy i would like the quick and easy answer. I am looking to put the campy 10 speed 13-29 cassette on my bike for a steep hill climb up Mauna Kea in Hawaii and was wondering if anyone knew if you could put in on a 9 speed campy drivetrain minus one cog. My 9 speed cassette is all individual cogs with their spacers but i think the 10 speed has a couple of grouped cogs. Anyone ever done this? Thanks for any input. I guess to clarify further...i was wondering if i could take the 9 speed spacers from my 9 speed cassette and use them in the 10 speed cassette and take one cog out.

·
Registered
10,161 Posts
info...

A 10 speed cassette has closer cog spacing and fits into the same space as a 9 speed cassette, so the first option is out of the question. You can use a J-tek shiftmate, model 2, to correctly shift 9 of the 10 cogs on a 10 speed cassette with your 9 speed shifters.

10 speed cogs are slightly thinner than 9 speed, so you wouldn't get the exact length of cassette, using Veloce loose cogs with 9 speed spacers. There is also one thicker spacer in the group, between cogs 6 and 7.

Campy sells a 13-28 9 speed cassette, which is close to what you want. It might be possible to swap the 25-28 cogs from the 9 speed cassette and use 26-29 cogs from the 10 speed, but that could get expensive.

Personally, I'd switch to 10 speed.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.