Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
407 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Did a ride yesterday and covered a little over 100 miles wearing my Voler team kit. I rotate through about three team kits for most of the club rides. For the first time I suffered some abrasions around the edges of the chamois. I could feel the abrasions after about 40 miles, so it was grueling the rest of the way. I have never used chamois creme but would that have helped in this situation? I have done many rides in the 50-80 mile range without using any sort of chamois creme and have not experienced any problems.

·
Registered
5,524 Posts
Yes. Lubrication reduces friction between moving parts... abrasion is a sign of friction. Chamois creme functions mostly as a lubrication, and in some instances as a mild anti-bacterial ...

·
ReviewBikeRoad Member
1,368 Posts
I use cream for all rides of any appreciable length and never have any sores, abrasion, or any other issues. My non-cycling friends get a kick out of the "butt butter" as they call it, but it really does help.

·
Descender
1,940 Posts
Certainly chamois creme would help.

I alternate between Noxema skin cleanser, $4.50 at the local supermarket and Chamois Butter, $16.00 at the LBS.
Both work well - guess which one I'll continue using when the other runs out?

·
Registered
4,429 Posts
I usually only lather up on rides near 100 miles or if it's extremely hot, humid, or I'll be doing a lot of sitting. Basically anytime a lot of sweat will be trapped on my crotch.

That's likely what caused the irritation. You may have better luck in drier weather, if that was the case, though these kinds of problems tend to vary with the individual.

·
Registered
1,194 Posts
Mtn2RoadConvert said:
Did a ride yesterday and covered a little over 100 miles wearing my Voler team kit. I rotate through about three team kits for most of the club rides. For the first time I suffered some abrasions around the edges of the chamois. I could feel the abrasions after about 40 miles, so it was grueling the rest of the way. I have never used chamois creme but would that have helped in this situation? I have done many rides in the 50-80 mile range without using any sort of chamois creme and have not experienced any problems.

Seems to me if you've done even longer rides many times without issue, that perhaps your chamois is worn out, or a seam is frayed, or was somehow folded over.

I hope I never have to start using butt cremes on my rides, heh.....

·
Registered
6,189 Posts
The term is called A$$ Cream at my house and yes, I use it. Why risk it? Not a big deal, just squirt some on the crotch of your shorts, rub it in and good to go.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts