Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
your text here
13,203 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
From what I read on Cycling News, he got pretty wiped at the end. In Pink with 4 seconds to spare, but he has some pretty hungry fellas behind him...

Does it rely on the next mountain stage or the TT? I nkow both are important, but can Conti hold them off on the hills and the flats?

·
Yo no fui.
8,486 Posts
Ricco is going to be worse than Simoni:

“What I’d like to ask Sella and (Domenico) Pozzovivo if they’d thought they would win the Giro? Contador always finds someone like that who helps him. No one ever helps me,” said Riccò, who unleashed an angry Italian curse at the summit. “They should have stayed on Contador’s wheel and let him pull. People have been saying that Contador is stronger than me on the climbs, but as far as I can remember, I’ve dropped him on ever summit finish. Tomorrow I will go on the attack again and I just hope (CSF-Navigare) isn’t working behind me.”

http://www.velonews.com/article/76818/alberto-contador-keeps-the-giro-lead-by-a-narrow-margin

I think A.C. can do it.

·
Registered
4,838 Posts
weltyed said:
From what I read on Cycling News, he got pretty wiped at the end. In Pink with 4 seconds to spare, but he has some pretty hungry fellas behind him...

Does it rely on the next mountain stage or the TT? I nkow both are important, but can Conti hold them off on the hills and the flats?
contador has at least 2 minutes to lose tomorrow to keep victory after the ITT.

·
Registered
11,561 Posts
weltyed said:
Does it rely on the next mountain stage or the TT?
Since he has been dropped pretty much everyday in the mountains by at least some of the protagonists, I'd say he's going to hold on for dear life tomorrow and rely on the TT to save it. Even today when he finally attacked, Bruseghin was the only one he dropped. He was lucky to get the help today that he did or he would probably have conceded several more seconds if not 10s of seconds.

·
Registered
1,765 Posts
I don't know how much "help" he got today. That last climb was wide open and he was a protagonist, although not always on front. His tank was clearly empty at the end, barely able to hang on the group he was with.

Ricco is correct that he seems stronger on the climbs. He flat dropped Conti on the final climb today - no other way to look at it.

The question is, as always, who can recover overnight and put in a stellar performance tomorrow? That has to be done two more times. Contador has shown he perform at high levels day after day and in both disciplines. He has to be the favorite.

The guy I liked today was DiLuca. He was off the front hammering. He did justice to his number one jersey on a day when it was needed. Chapeau!

JSR

·
your text here
13,203 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
do you think they were keeping levi in reserves today, thinking the other teams would try to make the push today, using tomorrow as a day for climbers to duke it out and "rest" for the ITT?

also, will astana try the tactic of sending a man up with the lead/breakaway group only to have him drop back and pace contador? it read like they did that with salvodelli today, but i wasnt sure.

G

·
bas said:
contador has at least 2 minutes to lose tomorrow to keep victory after the ITT.
Right, so long as he doesn't crash - it would be nice if it will a nice day in Milan. I hate it when some good TTer crashes just because of wet crossing paint :rolleyes:

·
Registered
447 Posts
weltyed said:
do you think they were keeping levi in reserves today, thinking the other teams would try to make the push today, using tomorrow as a day for climbers to duke it out and "rest" for the ITT?

also, will astana try the tactic of sending a man up with the lead/breakaway group only to have him drop back and pace contador? it read like they did that with salvodelli today, but i wasnt sure.
I agree, Astana would be very smart to throw Colom or Leipheimer in a break up the road as they are now so far down on time that they wouldn't be a threat and they'd be a great help once Contador comes up the road.

·
Registered
1,611 Posts
Kris Flatlander said:
I agree, Astana would be very smart to throw Colom or Leipheimer in a break up the road as they are now so far down on time that they wouldn't be a threat and they'd be a great help once Contador comes up the road.
Absolutely agree, but I don't think Levi can get up the road. He seems totally dead-legged.

·
Cannot bench own weight
4,298 Posts
I'm going to say no. Someone, Ricco perhaps, is going to take a couple minutes out of him tomorrow, and he won't be able to get it back on the TT.

But you never know, he could pull a Landis and just ride everyone off his wheel tomorrow (after a bad showing).

Know this:

The final TT is 11 km less than the first ITT, and it's all gradually downhill instead of uphill the last half. There is no way in hell Contador takes 2 mins out of Ricco and DiLuca this time.

·
Registered
714 Posts
I'm rooting for Di Luca, definitely my personal favorite in the peloton.

And damn did he ever ride well this last stage. It'd be quite a win for him if he was able to take ricco up the climb and do well in the final TT.

what a great giro to watch (or rather, read reports on after the stages haha), especially for this newb to pro cycling.

·
Registered
2,370 Posts
Einstruzende said:
Know this:

The final TT is 11 km less than the first ITT, and it's all gradually downhill instead of uphill the last half. There is no way in hell Contador takes 2 mins out of Ricco and DiLuca this time.
An astute obversation here. Contador is a better timetrialist than both Ricco (by alot) and DiLuca (by a little). It should be noted that most of Contador's best TT performances have been in hilly/technical TT's. This one is a drag strip so while he should be able to take time out of Ricco, DiLuca has shown that he can ride several notches above his known abilities in that pink jersey if he manages to get it tomorrow. The Giro has become my favorite GT. It's exciting, full of beautiful terrain and unpredictable.

Ricco's commentary has been very entertaining to me. He's got lots of personality and that's something that cycling can use more of but I do believe that if Contador knew he'd be here a few months ago we'd be watching a rout.

·
Lemur-ing
19,208 Posts
I almost forgot the final ITT is really short so yeah, it's hang on for dear life today for Contador so that he can do something Sunday.

Levi was nowhere to be found yesterday unfortunately. If only Iglinsky or Colom can get in a break and do a Savoldelli for him. Then maybe Levi can pace him with Kloden.

Definitely a good stage to watch tonight.

·
Registered
1,611 Posts
draftdodger said:
If Rasmussen was here we'd be watching a rout.
Of course, he's an extra terrestrial.

·
Registered
2,514 Posts
I guess Alberto is merely suborbital this year.

Contador will have to really crack to lose the race. The Mortirolo is a long way from the finish and the climb to Aprica isn't steep at all so there's a lot of km to make up whatever he loses on the big climbs. Unless Ricco and DiLuca can get over the top of the Mortirolo with a minute plus gap and some helpers the bunch will reel them in by the end.

·
Lemur-ing
19,208 Posts
terzo rene said:
I guess Alberto is merely suborbital this year.

Contador will have to really crack to lose the race. The Mortirolo is a long way from the finish and the climb to Aprica isn't steep at all so there's a lot of km to make up whatever he loses on the big climbs. Unless Ricco and DiLuca can get over the top of the Mortirolo with a minute plus gap and some helpers the bunch will reel them in by the end.
True.. I'm sure Di Luca would look for Savoldelli to help him down to the finish.

But, the pack of favorites could come back if they have enough riders too.

Contador didn't look too comfortable following Kloden down the descents yesterday though.

·
Impulse Athletic Coaching
5,758 Posts
Contador will lose the jersey. That is my guess.

I failed last time I tried to guess the next stage, though, so don't take my word for it. As we saw today, Di Luca is really close and really strong right now. If he can put another couple minutes into Contador, he will be in 2nd place, behind Ricco. Di Luca will take Ricco in the TT and Contador won't be able to make up enough, leaving Di Luca, Contador, and Ricco as 1, 2, and 3.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Contador will win. He has several factors on his side. First, the team will be energized to save Contador on the last mountain stage. Trust me: Levi, Colom, Kloden and other Astana guys will ride to the death to carry Conti on Saturday. Even if he loses a minute or less on the big climb, the finish line is still far way and they will reel them back into the main group. Lastly, Contador can hold his own on the final TT....he'll make up at least 1 minute on Ricco and 30 seconds on Di Luca.

This has been a great Giro. I'm so hoping by some miracle Astana gets invited to TdF. If that happens, Contador would crush these guys. TdF would be smart to invite them....can you imagine the battle and press they'd get with big mouth Ricco battling Contador.

·
Registered
344 Posts
I was never a contador fan till this giro. watching him fight thru the pain was impressive instead of dancing on the pedals with ease like at TDF last year. l really like what excitement ricco is bringing. makes for better drama. kinda like the rich spoiled kid vs the kid with all the talent.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.