Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
804 Posts
bburgbiker said:
I'm looking to invest in a new crankset and since I need a new bb as well I'm thinking of going with the Dura-Ace. I've got a full Ultegra set-up and want to make sure it's compatible with the 7800 cranks. I'm thinking that it should work out ok because I run 9-speed XTR cranks with 8-speed everything else on my Fuel 100. Anyone else running a similar set-up?

Also, my current Ultegra cranks are 175mm and I'm thinking of going with 180mm. I'm 6'3" with a 34" inseam and have read (from Zinn) that at this height I should be going with 180mm. Any thoughts on this would be appreciated.
I've recently built up a new 5500 with a DA9 kit from last years bike, the only exception being the new 7800 crank and BB. In MN we still have 20+ inches of snow on the ground so the only saddle time I've got on it is an hour on the rollers. Everything seemed to work fine but I wasn't really going through the gears. I'll mount it up on the fluid trainer tonight and play around with it and report back if shifting isn't great.

I was under the impression that the rollers on the 9 & 10 speed chains are the same width and that the outer links are the only sizing difference. I was also told that the 10 speed chain would work fine on a 9 speed setup which leads me to believe that at most, I'll need to change out my chain if the 9 speed chain doesn't shift well.

·
Registered
804 Posts
Follow-up

Shifting on the front was fine, even better than the previous 7701 crankset & rings, with the 9 speed chain and derailleur. The only problem I see is that the shifting ramps on the large chainring touch/catch the chain when in the 13 & 12 tooth cogs on my 12/25 cassette (not a huge issue as cross chaining isn't my thing) and cause some noise. I can't tell you the last time on the road that I used either the 12 or 13 when in the 39 on the front so I don't really see it as a problem and won't replace the chain until it's wore out.

Over all, it works great with no additional new parts.

Cheers
Pete

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.