Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
With the Radio On...
965 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Will "failed intelligence" put an end to the Bush "pre-emptive strike" doctrine?

If we can't rely on intel. as the basis for action, we should wait until harm is certain before acting.
Otoh, SH said he had WMD, so I suppose we really should just take the guy's word for it.

------------------------------
"Kill 'em all. Let God sort 'em out."

·
Registered
3,079 Posts
"Failed intelligence" is not the problem.

Failed <i>leadership</i> is the problem.

Some of us are not surprised that Saddam turned out to be a paper tiger. There was plenty of convincing, <i>conservative</i> intelligence out there that suggested exactly what has been found: that Saddam's stockpiles and "program related activities" had been destroyed by war, disposed of by the UN, and/or were hyped in the first place. That in any case were not worth invading over.

Of course <i>conservativism</i> is no longer popular among Republicans, who have only staved off post Red-Scare-paranoia irrelevance by preying of the most reactionary and radical elements of this country. So now we have the New Paranoia, and the new "political wars", followed by the new investigations, and the new wounds to American credibility. And in 50 years they'll be trying to put Bush on the Nickel because he had the "courage to make a stand against terrorism <i>before</i> it was a danger to this nation".

·
Banned forever.....or not
24,421 Posts
This whole thing reminds me of the Spanish American War. Everybody knew that those dirty Spaniards blew up our battleship, so we attacked them in Manila. That was a "cake walk", so we attacked in Cuba. What do you think would have happened to McKinley if Cuba turned out to be a tough nut to crack. What would have happened if we found out the the battleship blew up because of a "coal fire?"

1 - 3 of 3 Posts