Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Not Banned
Joined
·
49,249 Posts
if memory serves me right

an old school ex pat american cyclist, turned DS or something was already living there and sold a couple of them on moving there. cheap, great riding and folks didn't pay too much attention to ya. Once a few of them were in, it attracted the rest as birds of a feather. Aussies in Nice and Monaco, American's chose Girona. Spain has/had more lenient policies but I don't think that was the #1 sales tool (maybe #3?). If it is/was,they'd all live in Switzerland, Mallorca or South Africa yes?
 

·
I heart team Zissou!
Joined
·
2,954 Posts
atpjunkie said:
an old school ex pat american cyclist, turned DS or something was already living there and sold a couple of them on moving there. cheap, great riding and folks didn't pay too much attention to ya. Once a few of them were in, it attracted the rest as birds of a feather. Aussies in Nice and Monaco, American's chose Girona. Spain has/had more lenient policies but I don't think that was the #1 sales tool (maybe #3?). If it is/was,they'd all live in Switzerland, Mallorca or South Africa yes?
It was the ex pro from Denmark, Johnny Welts, assistant DS w/ Postal, now w/ Discovery, who had a house up near Olot that started getting the US pros to come to Girona. Then a whole slew of riders from all over figured out that A. the Guarda Civil was probably not going to be knocking at their door, and B. it wasn't really that far from Girona to Fuentes OBGYN practice in Madrid. They started coming in droves! {joking....er....kindof....}

I have been to Girona and, having ridden all over Europe, can tell you that it would not be my first, second or even eighth pick for a winter cycling haven. But then again, I can't swing the 60 000 euros it would take to get my blood "cleaned and improved"!

I'm going to be advertising the merits of training in the Paris region -- (the rain "builds character!") and hope to snag at least one pro willing to pay a small pittance to be housed in our spare bedroom! We can't provide clean blood but we can garantee hot showers and all the caffiene they need (UCI legal!).

A+

Philippe
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
21,853 Posts
What would be your first pick?

philippec said:
I have been to Girona and, having ridden all over Europe, can tell you that it would not be my first, second or even eighth pick for a winter cycling haven.
Philippe
And your second pick?

For the riding, not the doping.
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
86 Posts
Yeah, I don't really get the Girona thing. It is funny becuase many pros live there not just americans. I have a friend who lived there for a few years while he was riding on Postal, I would always ask him why he didn't move to a better place like Tuscany or where I lived in the south of Spain, he would roll his eyes and explain how I just didn't get it. Later after he retired Heras joined the team and moved to Girona....he would always ask this retorical guestion "Why did Heras, a Basque, move to Girona?"

philippe, I would love to pick you mind about riding outside Paris. I am pretty close to moving there. We would most likly be living outside in suburbs near Versailles, I have only ridden a little around there....are there any good climbs? What is the traffic like? I am pretty sure the rain is going to drive me crazy
 

·
I heart team Zissou!
Joined
·
2,954 Posts
I will reply with a Koan --

A wise teacher sent out a young student on a quest to find the most beautiful place on earth. The student spent years travelling and came back, despondent, to announce his failure to his master. "Is the world so empty of beauty that you could not find what I asked" the master questioned. The student responded, "on the contrary, the world is too full of beauty". "Why then are you so sad then?" the teacher asked. "To label beauty is to destroy it" the student answered. "Each time I would share with others my high regard for a cove, a valley, a vista, a streamside eddy, men would come to admire it and in their crowding haste, would destroy the very qualities I admired". The master pointed to his student's forehead and said "I sent you out not to find beauty but to find wisdom... you have found both".

{deep silence}


OK, I will tell you this. My first pick is in southern France, my second pick is in northern Italy, my third through 5th picks are in southern France, my 6th through 8th are in Italy, Portugal and Corsica, not respectively and then there is Girona.

A+

Philippe
 

·
I heart team Zissou!
Joined
·
2,954 Posts
surftel said:
Yeah, I don't really get the Girona thing. It is funny becuase many pros live there not just americans. I have a friend who lived there for a few years while he was riding on Postal, I would always ask him why he didn't move to a better place like Tuscany or where I lived in the south of Spain, he would roll his eyes and explain how I just didn't get it. Later after he retired Heras joined the team and moved to Girona....he would always ask this retorical guestion "Why did Heras, a Basque, move to Girona?"

philippe, I would love to pick you mind about riding outside Paris. I am pretty close to moving there. We would most likly be living outside in suburbs near Versailles, I have only ridden a little around there....are there any good climbs? What is the traffic like? I am pretty sure the rain is going to drive me crazy
I live just a few km north of Versailles. The traffic is unlike traffic in the US -- dense but very respectful of bikes. I ride in 20kms each way to and from work in Paris so I know the traffic situation pretty well. I'll be more than happy to show you around on some of the good rides in the western suburbs -- do you race? Also, re. climbs, there are few 3+kms climbs in the Paris region but I am pretty sure I have all the 16-24% leg breakers mapped out in the western suburbs. They are short but will make you cry for your mommy! Send me a pm and I'll get you some info.

Oh, and the rain is something you learn to ignore... real fast!

A+

Philippe
 

·
Not Banned
Joined
·
49,249 Posts
by his avatar

I'm going to take a wild guess and say his Southern France training location (which would be mine also) would be PROVENCE! Great weather, great riding, great wine, great cheese, great olive oil, great food oh and that silly little Mt. Ventoux to test the legs.
 

·
I heart team Zissou!
Joined
·
2,954 Posts
atpjunkie said:
I'm going to take a wild guess and say his Southern France training location (which would be mine also) would be PROVENCE! Great weather, great riding, great wine, great cheese, great olive oil, great food oh and that silly little Mt. Ventoux to test the legs.
Yeah, Provence rocks ... but some parts of it are better than others. If you ever head over this way, I'll show you *some* of them.
 

·
Not Banned
Joined
·
49,249 Posts
I hope to and I'll take you up for sure

would love to ride, drink, eat and maybe toss a boule with ya. But I'm a Clydesdale and a cat 4/5 so don't wait for me going up Ventoux.:eek:)
would love to become a 'nut'
 
1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top